Thread: Weight/people capacity

Smile Weight/people capacity

Looking at the boats this weekend at the mall got me thinking; A particular RIVER boat had a 15 person or 2000lb+ capacity rating. Ever thought what your OCEAN boat could hold compared to that? Let's say the water was calm and relatively protected. (Ocean boats don't usually have a capacity plate)

Example;
    Heard of a 25ft Olympic with ten people fishing out of Seward.

What's your experience or stories of "loads of people" on OCEAN boats?

tens of thousands of Cuban refugees couldn't be wrong, if theres roo jump in.

http://uscgaviationhistory.aoptero.o...ola%20boat.jpg
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I know all about loading a boat from my herring days. 1st off you better have check valves on your bilge pump overboards and thru-hulls because water pours in through your pumps. Secondly you can't shut off your engines if you have wet exhaust or your engine fills w/ water.

<edit> you should put check valves on your bilge pump hoses anyway just for safety

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I know all about loading a boat from my herring days. 1st off you better have check valves on your bilge pump overboards and thru-hulls because water pours in through your pumps. Secondly you can't shut off your engines if you have wet exhaust or your engine fills w/ water.

<edit> you should put check valves on your bilge pump hoses anyway just for safety
    Don't forget to hammer in those scupper plugs! Herring skiff i was on had those crank up outboard mounts so you didn't sink your engines under water when we had 20 ton in the boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

been in a skiff with approx 800 salmon which is 4-5 thousand pounds, 3 people - 550lbs and 3 shackles of gear - 300 pounds, we still had a few inches of free board left. Of course this is not a safe thing to be doing cruising around. The weather was good and the tide was not running too bad so we made it all in one pick, a boat can hold a lot more weight than the rating will tell you. If they rate boats like the rate chains, wire rope, shackles, slings, etc, they usually have a 4 -1 or 5-1 safety factor. for example a chain with a 4-1 design factor with a rating of 1000lbs, would most likely not break before 4000lbs was put on it
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I was more interested in how many people you have stuffed in your boat for a fishing/camping trip and how much gear etc, you take. I think we all have an idea about the trawlers capacity, and how many refugees can fit in a skiff. Maybe you only run with three people or maybe you top out at seven humans and three deer. Do you carry a fifty-five gallon drum of extra fuel or just and additional six gallons, do you pack a cord of firewood or bring a chainsaw.

One buddy with the identical boat as mine always seemed to bring two more people than I ever did, another carried firewood in his bow, I just bring a chainsaw, etc, etc.

What is your buddy capacity and gear limitations?

The guideline I was given on my boat was to look at the transom shield on the IO. If the waterline is to that point, you are at risk of backflowing water into the engine when it is off. That being said, I have had as many people and gear on my boat as I care to have, and I have not even gotten close to this point. I am sure this is highly variable from boat to boat. Another consideration is how easy the boat is to get on step for the weight you have on board.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

My Coho XL 24 sea sport with a volvo AD41P 188hp diesel got up on step with 2 of us and 3300#s of cod! and the same boat with a 2008 D4 volvo 225hp diesel got up on step wit 6 55 gal drums of diesel and 100gals in my feul tanks, plus 2 of us and a load of groceries for a 70kn mile run.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Myers.
    Lenght x width divided by 15 will give you an idea. This is based on a 150 lb person.
    And this assumes no gear.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I often take 7 friends plus myself just to run the Tuna gear when fishing 70 miles off the Oregon coast. Everyone has inflatable life jackets on all the time or they do not go. I have an 8 person life raft on top of the cabin. We sometimes put 900 lbs of tuna, and 400 lbs of Ice on board. the self baling deck holes are about 3 inches out of the water, sometimes when a wave hits us sideways a little water will back flush on the deck. The boat has 5 bilge pumps, 1 forward, and 4 at the stern. The farther we go the less gas weight so we can take on more fish. The same for halibut fishing in the Cook Inlet, the longer the engines run the more fish room available.