Thread: 358Win & 250gr Partition

Default 358Win & 250gr Partition

I bought some 250gr Partitions for my 358Win and did a quick load using Tac powder, CCI250gr Primers, Win brass, OAL 2.839", so I could hunt the last day of the rifle season tomorrow with the 250gr load. I am going to work with after hunting season, H4895, IMR4895 and AA2495BR. I did not know what to expect, but I knew that my Ruger Hawkeye has shot everything I have put through it pretty well. This load gave me a group of .7545" at a velocity average of 2403fps. Surprisingly it did not recoil bad and man does that round hit like a hammer and give me so much while having a very manageable recoil. I am sighted 2.8" high at 100yds giving me a zero of 200yds with a point blank of 255yds and the highest point above line of sight is 2.8" from 97yds to 129yds. At 260yds hold cross hair on top of shoulder and good to 325yds. Might not see anything tomorrow, but I will be ready to put a big hole through a deer or hog for sure if I see one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Keep us posted. I did all my load development work for my 358's long before Nosler even made 35 cal partitions. My bad, but I just keep on using the same old loads that have worked so well for so many years. Interesting enough, at those moderate velocities my favorite and best performing 250 is the Winchester Silvertip. I'm down to my last box of those, so it's time to move on.

But good luck in recovering a bullet from deer though! The only one I've got back from deer was a Texas heart shot at 80 yards. That was a 200 grain Silver Tip, but it passed lengthwise through the deer, up into the neck and came to rest against the right corner of its jaw. Retained weight was right at 75%, but I'd have to go find the bullet and reweigh to give exact #'s. If you up the weight retention on a 250, I'd be counting on two holes from any angle!

I don't even contemplate retrieving a 250gr Partition from a deer or even a big hog no matter where the shot is placed. Taylor always said the 35 cartridges that moved from 2300fps to 2700fps were real killers and from my use of the 225gr bullet, I will have to agree with him on the 35 being a killer, especially with the 250gr. I will post also future load work after hunting is over, but I sure like this load for accuracy and velocity out of a 358Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I loaded some 250 grain hornadys between 2300 and 2400 with some h-4895 in my blr and they seemed to be pretty mild. I think alot of loads for the 358 are loaded to pretty low pressure. I did have trouble loading the 225 accubonds as the bullets seemed to be to long but the 225partitions worked well. I would think that a 250 partition at 2400 fps would be good enough for anything in north america. I was quite pleased when I started working up loads for the 358 it really surprised me.

It is one really over looked cartridge, I love mine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS