Thread: Bunnie Bust!!

Default Bunnie Bust!!

I went bunny hunting yesterday up by Sutton area. Started right before the sun came up and hunted for a good awhile. Didnt see nothing. No bunny sign. Did see a lot of moose sign, and did see 4 moose and a calf. It was pretty cold too. About -15 or so, but no wind and really nice blue skies and sun. I hunted along the creek as well, and looked every where. Didnt even see a grouse. I guess I was just out for a nice long walk!!
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

That's all part of hunting. If we were always successful it would be called killing!
    I love that area, and have good results there in summer/fall. I think it's just too colt out for most critters.
    Stick with it and let us know when you bag something.
    BTW, nice line at the bottom, I agree!

Ya that is ther part of hunting, you sometimes connect, sometimes you dont. I am going ice fishing to Firgue Eight Lake on Sat. Gonna bring the .22 and hunt along the lake edge while I wait for my tip-ups to flag. Have you ever hunted for bunnies in the Buffalo Mine Rd area? I do a good deal of 4 wheeling up there. Jonesville Mine Rd is a nice place to ride too. Havent hunted up there though.

Shoedawg, I was thinking of heading out for Figure 8 lake in a couple of weeks for some pike. Have never been there. Is the access off of Pt. MacKenzie Rd. down towards the port? Would be interested in getting a report on your fishing/hunting success. Thx.

ive been up buffalo mine road for bunnies...not very much out that way..maybe a grouse or two..but i saw all those when i use to do abit of my mink trapping up there

Quote Originally Posted by Kuch View Post
    Shoedawg, I was thinking of heading out for Figure 8 lake in a couple of weeks for some pike. Have never been there. Is the access off of Pt. MacKenzie Rd. down towards the port? Would be interested in getting a report on your fishing/hunting success. Thx.

Dont go towards the port, but head towards the prison farm. Take the right where it turns to gravel, not the left where it is paved. There is a parking area/day usage area ($5 bucks to park) to unload your quad/sled about a mile or so down the road, it is on the right. To get to the lake take a right out of the parking lot and go straight until you hit the trail. Its a straight shot for a few miles, about 9 or so, and you will cross the little sue. There is a trail marker that points you to the lake, it will be a left turn. Follow that straight for another 6 or so miles, you'll cross two small lakes and see the power lines. Its pretty much flat all the way expect for the first big hill you'll go down. That hill has a sign to the left letting you know you are entering the sue area. The trail is fairly marked most of the way. Figure Eight has never let me down. I always bring home Pike, anywhere from 2-10 fish at a time and they are good eating size. The biggest Pike I have pulled from there was 9.5lbs. I try to go about 4 times during the ice fishing season. Use tip-ups (I make my own cheap-o ones) and bring herring. You are allowed 5 tips-ups per person on the lake. There are some monster Pike in there. Last year I caught one on my tip-up but the dang thing wouldn't fit through the 8 inch auger hole. This year I have a 10 inch auger!!! Trust me bring a 10 inch auger. I will report back on Sunday about the trail conditions and how the fishing was.

Default I like to call it walking in the woods with a gun....

That's how it goes sometimes, and sometimes can mean a few times or more..lol. A buddy was successful the other day and I couldn't seem to get a shot off on the bunnies I saw, ren in to the thick stuff and disappeared, oh well. I think being outside and enjoying Alaska is more important anyways, but that's me.

Jason