Thread: Field Measurement Rules?

Default Field Measurement Rules?

We all see thread after thread estimating the size of moose or sheep based on posted photos. There is talk about sizing up a bear based on their tracks. We've all read posts about antlers, ears, ram 'cylinders', and tracks being indicators.

To further educate all members and hopefully end up with fewer sub-legal harvests, let's consolidate our 'rules of thumb' into one spot for the betterment of all.

Okay, maybe I need to pose more specific questions. I thought this would be a thread everyone would want to dish their opinion on!

What is the generally accepted width between the eyes of a bull moose? Between antler bases? Between ear tips?
    What is the basic approach you take to determine full-curl if you can't get a perfect profile view of the ram?
    I just read that for a fish-fed brown bear you can take the width of their front pad, add 1 or 2, and that number (in inches) will be the approximate squared size of that bear (thanks AGL4now!). Interior brownies will be less due to a lack of fish in their diet.