Thread: RedHead 3D Evolution Suits (Leafy Suits)

Default RedHead 3D Evolution Suits (Leafy Suits)

So there I was, with nothing to do, so I reverted to my sure fire boredom slayer otherwise known as making my Christmas wish list for next year (can't start too early) and I came across these suits from BassPro Shops. We used these with a lot of success in the turkey woods back home in Georgia but that's about as far from Alaskan sheep country as you can get! So... has anyone used a leafy suit up here, namely in the Realtree Max-1 pattern on a sheep hunt? My thoughts are it's light-weight, and if worn as an OUTER outer layer (even over rain-gear when necessary) you stand a good chance of getting those last few yards without using your white suit... Just wanted to get some thoughts from people who may have used them or from some veteran mutton men.

I don't consider myself a veteran mutton man by any accounts, but my $.02 is you should save your money for some air time in a cub or about a hundred other things that'll be more useful to you in the mountains. The Realtree Max 1 is a lot better than many camo patterns for above treeline (most patterns are way to dark), but you're best bet is just stay out of sight from sheep. Be patient, and wait until you can use the terrain for cover. Wear whatever keeps you alive and able to cover the country. That suit would just end up being a waste of precious ounces. Ounces make pounds. If you're close enough for the "3D" leaf pattern to give you some advantage over any other camo/outerwear, than your ram ought to already be dead.
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 01-18-2011 at 22:27. Reason: spelling
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Under the idea that you shouldn't point out problems if you're not prepared to offer solutions...

As you can see in this photo the Realtree Max 1 is not a bad camo pattern for in the high tundra or vegetation early in the season (that's my raingear - goretex paclite - happy with it after one season).

Later on the same day this picture was taken I managed to sneak with bow range of three rams from below by using available cover and waiting for the right opportunity. I was dressed the same - some North Face synthetic hiking pants and my base layer top - 100% polyester I think in whatever camo pattern that is.

hmmm... I see my roommate logged me out and signed in under his name (BDOW)... anyway...

I round that out with either a Cabela's Worsterlon shirt in olive green, or this lighter weight shirt... I picked it up on closeout from Cabela's - I think it was called the CoolVent or something like that. 100% nylon. I take it over the Worsterlon if it's early/warmer. I'm pretty sure that's the seclusion 3D open country... it just looks kinda yellow to me.

I like the Outfitter Camo from Cabela's from what I've seen, but haven't used any myself. Stay away from black (a mistake a buddy of mine made) - there's only one or two things out there that are black and neither are good for sheep.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for all the advice! I've got 2 of the Worsterlon Windshear shirts on order already! Caught 'em on sale for $20 a piece! How could I not?!?! Thanks for the pics also! The pics themselves are worth 10 pages of typed word! I know that it is possible to sneak up on a sheep wearing a pink tutu if you use the terrain properly but I also like to give myself the most advantage over my quarry and camo is a huge advantage in my opinion! You do make a very valid point about the weight and wiser allocation of my very limited hunting funds though... hmmmm... well we'll just put that one on the christmas list and see if someone wants to make a donation. I'm sure i'll find a use for it somewhere even if it's not in sheep country!