Thread: Anybody fish crooked creek?

Default Anybody fish crooked creek?

Any advice and tip on fishing in july and august?

Smile

You can pay $10 bucks to Crooked creek RV park to fish the mouth or fish up by the bridge for free. I use eggs and bobber or #5 blue foxes with good success, early am and pm is best time.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    You can pay $10 bucks to Crooked creek RV park to fish the mouth or fish up by the bridge for free. I use eggs and bobber or #5 blue foxes with good success, early am and pm is best time.

Thanks for the info Frank.

Is the RV park normally pretty crowded during late july and early august? I'm guessing the RV park is open to th public so if the fishes are in it will be very crowded right?
    Is there a good chance that we may hook onto a few fish? Generally is the fishing fantastic (10-15 fish a day) or ok (3-5 fish a day)?

P.S. the streambed is public (underwater) land
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default by the Kasilof?

Is that the crooked creek you're talking about?
    Can't you camp at the state rec site?

Is there more than one crooked creek?
    I read about the one on the kasilof but i didn't know that the kasilof is right by there...
    maybe there is two different crooked creek?

yes the waterway is public, but you wont get far up Crooked creek in the water as its banks are deep and you will be forced to trespass and there are always a few paying customers who will not let you go unnoticed, not to be a hardhead, but if you are going to fish on private property pay the $10 bucks, if your camping at the state park then fish the state water, which is on the Kasilof river, but I rarely see more than 3-5 people fishing the Crooked creek RV bank all Silver season. As for catch I've got my 2 in ten minutes and caught and released 3-4 more on good days and also spent a couple of hours for not. You can stop in at the RV park store and talk to Mike (one of the owners) he fishes it everyday and is happy to give you a fishing report.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Someone might like to pint out that Crooked Creek is closed to all fishing in July ... okay, I will

You are probably talking about fishing the Kasilof River where Crooked Creek dumps in (Crooked Creek Campground). This is a very popular place for bank anglers to try their luck, but not so much in late July/early August. If you throw some eggs on the bottom you will likely catch Kings and have a chance at a Silver. King fishing closes July 31st, but it's pretty hard to distinguish whether or not you're fishing for Silvers or Kings. If you catch one in August just let it go.
    If you're talking about fishing Crooked Creek itself, then be aware that it doesn't open until Aug 1st. It will be full of spawning salmon (kings and reds) and Dolly Varden at this time. The salmon are spawned out and not suppose to be fished for, and not worth it anyways. The Dollies aren't real big, but very numberous and a decent fish in the 12-15 inch range can be caught occasionally. It's not something I'd travel thousands of miles for, but I usually make a trip or two a year to catch gobs of dollies on a 3 wt. fly rod each year in Crooked Creek. It is easily accessed from the Sterling Hwy, which crosses the creek about 12 miles south of Soldotna.

So during the first week of august there will not be any edible fish out of crooked creek? Profishguide said there will be silvers during that time, no?

You should consider some alternative waters considering the time of year you will be up here. The Upper Kenai River starts to heat up with rainbows and dollies during that time of the year. If you don't plan on fishing from a boat, there are some walk-in areas in Cooper Landing you can access off the road. You could try bank fishing at Swiftwater Park in Soldotna for silvers and may hook up with a rainbow, dolly or king as well. Last year I was fishing silvers (from a boat but near where folks bank fish)and caught a 40+ pound king on my silver rod. There are better places to bank fish than Crooked Creek at that time of year. You can still get into red salmon on the Kenai as well through the end of July.