Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measure your body parts......

Default Measure your body parts......

One of the things you should do is measure your body parts. Starting with the spread from the tip of your thumb to the splayed tip of your little finger. For example my right hand fully splayed thumb to tip of little finger is exactly 9" and my left hand (For reasons I know not) is exactly 9 1/2". What does this matter........?

When working the beach or river bed and following a bear you have insight, you can reach down and see what the width of the front print is. I can put my right hand down quickly and see that the track is 8 1/2". Or put my left hand down and see that the track is 9 1/2" or more. This is valuable information which you can acquire quickly while closing on the bear, or abort the quest. Note: I have NO Idea what your hand width is, check it and remember it.

"The stories I could Tell"...............Hehehehe
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-17-2011 at 21:03. Reason: Reference to forum member

How strange- my right is 9" and left is 9.5", Maybe too many broken fingers in my time. Good information, thanks.
    Goo

I wonder how many guys are going for the tape measure as we type?

Had to give rep on the title.. That was funny..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    One of the things you should do is measure your body parts. Starting with the spread from the tip of your thumb to the splayed tip of your little finger. For example my right hand fully splayed thumb to tip of little finger is exactly 9" and my left hand (For reasons I know not) is exactly 9 1/2". What does this matter........?

When working the beach or river bed and following a bear you have insight, you can reach down and see what the width of the front print is. I can put my right hand down quickly and see that the track is 8 1/2". Or put my left hand down and see that the track is 9 1/2" or more. This is valuable information which you can acquire quickly while closing on the bear, or abort the quest. Note: I have NO Idea what your hand width is, check it and remember it.

"The stories I could Tell"...............Hehehehe
    I've always used the length of each segment of the index finger; each equals one inche. (Half of the first segment is missing on my left hand - come in handy for doing fractions!) Always look at the bear track - estimate - then confirm by using the segments of the index finger.
    Joe

I just measured the segments of my index finger.... 1.25 " hmm

you've been low ballin' us Joe.. lol

finger straight out , underside wrinkle to wrinkle is 1 inch... but outside corner to corner pushes 1.25 easy

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I go by arm spread 74inch's and measure stride
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I wonder how many guys are going for the tape measure as we type?
    Count me as one of them. Left is 10" and right is 9 3/4". Not sure why that is. Hmmmm........

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I go by arm spread 74inch's and measure stride
    Most adult males are 36" (three feet) from their nose to the tip of their middle finger, or 72" finger tip to finger tip.

Wing span 82", pinky to thumb tips 9 3/4 both hands, palm width 4 1/4" each, fists 4 3/4". That is all you get from me, measurement of any other appendages is on a need to know basis only, and none of you need to know.

FWIW, I have been using 9 1/2" hand span for such things for years.

I carry a small tape measure

OK, What is a cubit (that is most likely miss spelled)........?

Wingspan 76", hand are both 10". The 10" span has won a couple bets from non-believers.

A Cubit was the length mesured from Pharao's extended forefinger fingertip to his elbow.

Untill ya came up with this thread, I have just put my boot down next to 'em and had a look.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

For those of us less 'in-the-know', what is the other half of this equation? What are the widths of typical mature bears, both black & brown? Maybe these 'field sizing' rules would be an interesting thread on their own.

you guys all need to get outside a little more

Went straight for my tape, myself
    Wierd as this is, My hands are only Right-8 1/4", Left-8 1/2" .......
    SO, what's up with the big hands, you guys....??

I have been using my foot, measuring for years, in almost any boot I wear, is nearly exactly 12" toe to heel, Works Well
    w/o having to remove boot even (grin)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Works great for setting snares for fox and lynx also. Ideally you want a 9" loop, 9" off the ground for lynx and just a tad small and lower for fox.

Quote Originally Posted by iturner8 View Post
    For those of us less 'in-the-know', what is the other half of this equation? What are the widths of typical mature bears, both black & brown? Maybe these 'field sizing' rules would be an interesting thread on their own.
    The "General" way to estimate a track, is the width of the track +1 for for most brown bears. Sometimes +2 if you get lucky. (grin)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Went straight for my tape, myself
    Wierd as this is, My hands are only Right-8 1/4", Left-8 1/2" .......
    SO, what's up with the big hands, you guys....??

I have been using my foot, measuring for years, in almost any boot I wear, is nearly exactly 12" toe to heel, Works Well
    w/o having to remove boot even (grin)
    LOL me too... 10" both hands spread, 4 3/4 across the palms and left is 8" right is 8 1/4 to the tips...

i will have to remember those real good if i end up wife fishing again... cause if i can put two hands together and her buts wider... shes going back for the pan size!#
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast