Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Bear Photos....& the Bob Reeve Bear.

  1. #1

    Default Bear Photos....& the Bob Reeve Bear.

    In another thread there is a discussion about a photo of a young man holding a bear paw. I have always been in awe of the photo of Bob Reeve and the bear he took near Cold Bay. The Photo is a classic. The bear is huge, but the photo makes it look like a Dinosaur. Bob Reeve was a dear friend of mine, and just by a stroke of fate I met the guide who guided Bob on the bear hunt. The guide was in the Pioneer Home in Anchorage, and we were going room to room singing Christmas Carols.

    As I looked around the Guides room there was the classic photo of Bob and the massive bear paw. Also was a Declaration Signed by Bill Egan, with the State of Alaska Gold Seal.

    I am not sure where I am going with this thread, But that is the most awesome photo of a bear paw I have ever seen, and it was most likely taken with a Kodak "Brownie" Box camera, using 110MM film. And a fixed Lens.

  2. #2

    Default

    This the one your talking about?


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Midwest America
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Now that's a bear!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    This the one your talking about?

    That is the photo, and Bob was no spring chicken when that event transpired. Anyone who has Not read "Bob Reeve, Glacier Pilot" is in for a real treat. He was one of the original Barn Stormers, and flew in Chile as I recall.

  5. #5

    Default

    Measure your own hand for Width, should be about 3 1/2" and look at that photo and Bob's hand.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    In another thread there is a discussion about a photo of a young man holding a bear paw. I have always been in awe of the photo of Bob Reeve and the bear he took near Cold Bay. The Photo is a classic. The bear is huge, but the photo makes it look like a Dinosaur. Bob Reeve was a dear friend of mine, and just by a stroke of fate I met the guide who guided Bob on the bear hunt. The guide was in the Pioneer Home in Anchorage, and we were going room to room singing Christmas Carols.

    As I looked around the Guides room there was the classic photo of Bob and the massive bear paw. Also was a Declaration Signed by Bill Egan, with the State of Alaska Gold Seal.

    I am not sure where I am going with this thread, But that is the most awesome photo of a bear paw I have ever seen, and it was most likely taken with a Kodak "Brownie" Box camera, using 110MM film. And a fixed Lens.

    Certainly another classic picture.
    Thank you for posting. Who was the guide?
    Joe

  7. #7

    Default

    I remember seeing another photo of that bear where the hide was laid out on the ground and it had a 2x4 marked off in 1' increments. If I remember right it was 12' across the front pads/claws. A dinosaur for sure!

    After a quick Google search:


    1948 - Robert C. Reeve
    Alaska brown bear
    Score: 29-13/16
    Location: Cold Bay, Alaska

  8. #8

    Default

    Wanna Bet it wasn't spotted from the air?

    That is a big bear by any standard.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Certainly another classic picture.
    Thank you for posting. Who was the guide?
    Joe
    Sadly I do not remember. Bob never talked about it, and as I recall the guide is not mentioned in the book, which is why I was so surprised on entering his room at the Pioneer Home.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Wanna Bet it wasn't spotted from the air?

    That is a big bear by any standard.

    Yes it was spotted from the air, but it was NOT shot from the air, as I asked the guide that question. Please remember it was legal to spot and land and shoot before about 1971'ish.

  11. #11
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    You could put your head in those nostrils what a hog.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  12. #12

    Default

    Bob Reeve is/was my buddys' grandpa, he's the son of Don Sheldon (pretty good pedigree huh?)Ha Ha. But, he doesn't fly. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he knows the details.

  13. #13
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Probably used a 30cal super wopper stopper with a 24X scope.He was excited how well his fleece and Sitka gear held up.Climbing was easy in his new goat hunter ultra boots.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Bob Reeve is/was my buddys' grandpa, he's the son of Don Sheldon (pretty good pedigree)Ha Ha. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he knows the details.
    OK, this is interesting. I would see Bob every day, he was old, but we both enjoyed verbal encounters. I had two questions I would ask Bob every other day. One Question: "Say, Bob who was the greatest pilot ever in Alaska".....? Bob would always say, "David, You never want to say who is the best, or you will get in a fight, but if you say so & so is the second best, then no one will fight over that." I would say, "Well Bob who is the second best pilot in Alaska". Bob always said Don Sheldon (His son in law) is the greatest pilot in Alaska. And we would smile at each other.

    The other thing that would happen is I would say: "Bob, how are you doing"...? And Bob always said, "Well David, some days chicken and some days feathers"

    God, what a wonderful man he was.

    I never knew any of his family, only Bob.

  15. #15

    Default

    I'm going to save your last post, to show Robert. I'm sure he'll get a laugh out of that! Thanks.

  16. #16

    Default

    Just found this Quote from Bob Reeve. Definately sounds like a guy with a sense of humor!

    Robert Campbell Reeve often said, “The weather was so bad the year that I was born not one plane got off the ground.” Reeve and his twin brother, Richard, were born March 27, 1902; the Wright brothers would not fly until the next year.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Probably used a 30cal super wopper stopper with a 24X scope.He was excited how well his fleece and Sitka gear held up.Climbing was easy in his new goat hunter ultra boots.
    HAHA....good stuff Amigo Will. While much of the gear they used then is considered out dated they still got it done. Gear is simply the tool, if you don't know how to use the tools it doesn't matter what you are using.

    That said, I don't think for one second those guys didn't talk/argue/discuss the latest hunting gear at the time and which they felt worked best. I would imagine that there was a lot of talk about the young punks in the 1930s using that realistically new fangled 30-06 to hunt when all you need is a trusty 30-30 or what have you. These debates will be carried on by hunters for as long as there are different options and something to hunt. Most of us could get it done with lesser gear, but why?? Must of the stuff we use now days isn't required to get it done that is for sure. Fun to see those old pics and think what it might have been like years ago. I can never get enough of these types of pics and stories of old.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    In 1908, Winchester offer'd up the '95 Winchester Lever action in the then "new" 30-06.
    Compared to the 25-20, 25-35 , 30-40 Krag and such, it must have been a true Powerhouse to those Elders......maby 'overkill" ~~LOL!!~~ I see's what ya mean, Launche.

    It simply hasnt ben improved apon , for the common statured man.

    It is the Apex of caliber, bullet weight, velocity, ergonomic capability, and terminal effect. Its combat proven.

    Theres even an Alaskan song written about it, though I dont know its proper name, its about "The Thirty Ought six on the wall"......should get a grammy.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  19. #19

    Default

    My wife was garage shopping years ago and came home with a book "Jenny was no lady". She did not know it was about airplanes and gave it to me. Inside it said " To an old Jenny 0x5 jockey my old freind John Gannon? all my best Bob Reeve 5/1/73"

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I'm going to save your last post, to show Robert. I'm sure he'll get a laugh out of that! Thanks.
    My guess is that this will be interesting information for him also: When the first tower of Captain Cook Hotel was built in roughly 1964 the hotel did NOT own the "Captain Cook Athletic Club", it was owned by Bob Reeve. It was not till the third or fourth tower was under construction (which included the swimming pool about 1971 or 1972) that the legal procedure was under taken to shift ownership of the Athletic Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •