Thread: Indentation on Kings..How?

Default Indentation on Kings..How?

What causes the indentations on the right sideo(only spot its on) near the tail of King salmon? What is that? I have seen this on every king salmon I have caught. I have only seen thim on the Chinook salmon species. I have never heard nor read anything about this. I'm just curious, and what better place to raise this question than here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKnook, if you're talking about that mark just above the anal fin, those are scars left from sea lice.

I assume you mean the area above the anal fin. I'm guessing, but I think that's from when the sea lice were attached. Since this is the most common area for attachment of sea lice. The slime gets rubbed off and the skin gets irritated. I've seen this on other species as well in the same spot.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

MRFISH beat me to the punch.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Makes sense. I assumed it had to do with sea lice since thats the spot they tend to attach themselves, but didn't know for sure. I just see it mainly on kings than any other species. Thanks for the replys! I knew I would get an answer from someone on here.

Happens on all salmonids.... just more noticeable on kings because they have age classes that spend more time at sea.... more time for the dirty little buggers to do their deed.

Lice tend to end up in hydro-dynamically dead zones on the fish's anatomy.... places where they aren't as readily swept away by the fish's swimming action.... i.e. the lee side of the dorsal and anal fins.

Sea lice actually congregate in other areas of the body, esp if a juvenile fish is unfortunate enough to swim past hordes of lice near fish farms.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Here's a couple more from an adult fish that manged to survive the type of lice infestation seen in the last post
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Wow, that is a horrible case of sea lice! Never seen anything like it. Thanks for the info.

sea lice is more common with hatchery fish also, and for whatever the reason, seem to be able to handle them better then wild fish or so I was told. But from looking at the pics it doesn't seem to matter either way.