Thread: Vibrax Siwash single hook installation

Default Vibrax Siwash single hook installation

I've been wondering how to switch hooks on vibrax spinners for some time. Short of cutting the hook off and attaching a split ring with the Siwash single hook they give you or putting on a fresh treble to replaced one that has been damaged, how do you do it? I searched the BlueFox sight and Youtube and so far have found nothing. Anyone have a secret on this?

I hate the trebles, so I have no qualms about using side cutters to clip them and toss. In my experience the Siwash provided by Blue Fox are pretty marginal too. Stout enough for humpies, but marginal for silvers. Fuggedabout them for kings. I use Gammie's Siwash for replacements. Just crimp them on after you clip off the trebles.

What issues have you had with the trebles or the single hook that comes from Vibrax? I've been using the trebles for August silvers in the Kenai and I have't had any problem. I seem to get good hookups and rarely lose a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I hate the trebles, so I have no qualms about using side cutters to clip them and toss. In my experience the Siwash provided by Blue Fox are pretty marginal too. Stout enough for humpies, but marginal for silvers. Fuggedabout them for kings. I use Gammie's Siwash for replacements. Just crimp them on after you clip off the trebles.
    So, do you take the spinner apart to replace the hook? Not following you. I don't really fish with the single hook much, but I would like to replace some trebles that have been damaged, rusted, or just plain wore out on a few. Short of doing this with an added split ring, how do you do it. Not sure what you mean by crimp them on.

Siwash hooks have an large openning in the eye that makes it easy to install where the treble hook was connected to the lure. Just cut the eye on the treble hook. Then insert the Siwask eye in the openning where the treble hook was. Then take a pair of pliers and close the openning in the Siwash eye.

Captaindd said it. Just cut the eye of the treble, then crimp on the Siwash in its place.

As for why not trebles? In moving water I almost always fish upstream with spinners and spoons, either bouncing bottom or coming real close as I retrieve back downstream. Trebles break my budget in replacement lure costs. I also don't like the tiny gape of the individual hooks on trebles. I lose a whole lot more fish on trebles than siwash. Sure I might miss a strike now and then with a siwash, but once they're hooked I land a much higher proportion with siwash rather than trebles. Of course, back in the 70's I was a commercial salmon troller and everyone was using siwash. I tried trebles and learned there was a very good reason folks were using siwash. When that big wide hook gape gets under a bone, you're not going to lose a fish. The little hook on a treble often only bites flesh and tears loose lots easier.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Siwash hooks have an large openning in the eye that makes it easy to install where the treble hook was connected to the lure. Just cut the eye on the treble hook. Then insert the Siwask eye in the openning where the treble hook was. Then take a pair of pliers and close the openning in the Siwash eye.

So there is no magic trick to replace the treble hook I take it. I would think also with having to "crimp" the eye of Siwash eye, it would weeken with crimping.

I have had the same problem chico. Some vibrax come w/ a single hook and a treble. I have found the spinner action doesn't seem work as goo w/ the single hook. Its like its out of balance w/ the hook dangling
    Last edited by fullbush; 01-17-2011 at 13:43. Reason: I hope this post doesn't get deleted like all my other ones usually do. I think the mut reports me to the authorities

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I would think also with having to "crimp" the eye of Siwash eye, it would weeken with crimping.
    Not if the hooks are made and tempered right. A few years back Gammie put out some that were hardened back at the eye and really prone to breaking when crimped. No more, because they fixed the temper.

As for "riding" right, I feel the hooks that Blue Fox packs are too lightweight in wire and too small. That's why I go up a size or two with the Gammie. They're heavier wire in the first place and the wider gape results in more fish.

I replaced most of the treble on my jigs with single hooks. Getting the trebles free from the halibut and lings was really hard. The single hooks where easier to take out. I do not mind blood on the back deck as long as it is not mine.

Thanks for your input. I was checking for a secret hidden secret squirrel way to twist or turn the Lure around to open up. C'est La Vie!

Chico - If you are going to use stainless siwash hooks to replace the trebles, when crimping them with pliers to close the gap in the eye - do the crimp in one squeeze with your pliers. If you squeeze stainless more than once it will compromise the temper on the most popular brands and leave them brittle and more prone to break.

In another life I power-trolled for salmon here in SE and crimped-on thousands of stainless siwash hooks on spoons and plugs over the years. A Mustad sales rep passed on this tip when I complained about more hook eye breakage than usual. The problem evaporated when I changed my crimping method.

Thanks JKD, that makes sense.

how is SIWASH pronounced?

Is the letter "I" silent?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Sigh - wash.

And yes, another vote to ditch the worthless trebles.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

The Vibrax Siwash hooks are cheap- Broke one in half on a fish. Toss the Vibrax hook and replace with a Gami or Vision