Thread: 7.26x54 or 8mm mauser

Default 7.26x54 or 8mm mauser

I'm torn between getting a mauser or a mosin nagant. I want to use it for a hunting rifle. I've been finding alot of parts and stocks for both rifles. I was thinking you guys might be able to give me some advise on what to do. I'd like to hear good and bad about both rifles please. Thanks for the help.

I have owned and shot both.

The Mauser action of 1898 was the basis of the 1903 Springfield and the M-70 sporting rifle. (along with a bunch of others.M-77 Ruger, Dakota arms, Kimber)
    The M-98 type action is strong enough to be converted to magnum calibers.
    The M-98 actions have been popular for sorter conversions, for 100 years.

The basic bolt face of most M-98 type actions will accept a wide array of cartridges. 7.92mm Mauser (8mm) 7x57mm Mauser, 7.62 Nato (308) 30-06, and all the spin-off cartridges like 257 Roberts and 35 whelen.

The 7.92mm series and all the others are a rimless cartridge which loads more smoothly with less chance of malfunction.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX

The Mosin Nagant model of 1891, was later modifed into carbines, but the design was not popular enough for anyone else to use it for another series of rifles.
    They are not strong enough for magnum type caliber.
    They are not particularly smooth in many cases. (some are not bad)
    There are not nearly as many sporterizing options.
    The 7.62mm rimmed (not really a true 7.62 either) is an old rimmed cartridge. Similar to the 30-40 krag and 303 British which were contemporaries of the early 1890s era.

In short I would rather have one good M-98 than three Mosin Nagants.

Alex
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default thanks

Thanks for the advise FP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I'm torn between getting a mauser or a mosin nagant. I want to use it for a hunting rifle. I've been finding alot of parts and stocks for both rifles. I was thinking you guys might be able to give me some advise on what to do. I'd like to hear good and bad about both rifles please. Thanks for the help.
    I also own a few. A friend of mine buys them Surplus in lots. Just a heads up he usually buys 10 and out of those surplus gets 3 goods ones with the parts from the others,so if your buying surplus stuff unseen, there is a reason they can be had for cheap.

Default 98

Really consider a 98 Mauser. It may not be the exact rifle you want, but you can make it into the rifle of your dreams with some extra cash. The barrels and parts are readily available and come in a wide variety. Also if you look around a lot of South American countries chambered 98's for the 30-06; as a matter of fact the last bolt action Main Battle Rifle adopted by a military was from South America and it was 30-06. On the other hand the 7.62x54R doesn't offer much in the way of extras or caliber options if you like the way it shoots. If you do decide to purchase one however try to find a good Sako or Tikka, the Sako I bought was rebarrelled in 1962 and had a great bore, wish I had it back: Traded it for a Ruger, Bad mistake.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 8mm mauser 7.62x54r

Have and shoot both, both are terrific, mauser is more traditional to what we are all aware of, the russian in M44 or M38 is one handy lighter tough rifle, ridiculously accurate for a military rifle. The mauser is of course just as accurate.
    Compare ammunition cost, ballistics, accessories if wanted, sporterizing.
    Yugo 48 or 24 about 100-200 the M44 or 38 75-125.00
    Surplus ammo readily available and cheap as heck.
    Hunting ammo is out there, but to carry a nearly 9lb 48/98/24 or VZ24 fully stocked in wood versus the carbine 44 or 38 (of course lose the bayonet of the 44).
    Again, the Mauser rifles are 'traditional' compared the Mosin.
    Get both! Will still cost less than one standard Remington or Marlin or Ruger or or or...........
    I trimmed a VZ24 furniture to Swede mauser dimensions (very trim), must of lost nearly a pound of wood, love carrying that rifle, feels like a can handle anything gun, the M44 I lost the barrel bands and the top handguard along with the bayonet and the extra metal for the bayonet, and trimmed the wood. For novelty I kept the very heavy butt plates for both.
    The buttplates themselves must weigh almost a pound a piece!
    BUY BOTH! Cannot go wrong, wait till you see the cost of mil surp for both, might support my suggestions.

Wombat ,
    Can't argue with the pro's here ......but I luv my nagant . Have you seen 7.62x54r.net . I picked mine up for 89$ .ammo is dirt cheap . She don't look like much but wada shooter. With the growing popularity the price will be growing soon too . Some guys out there are trying to get several hundered bucks for premo's now . I urge You to check out the web sight if you havent allready and find out what to look for in buying a functioning model . The rifeling of course being most important . Try to find a pre-war model (most folks like the finn made model ) as the war models "39-45" had many a manufacturing shortcut due to the surplus of people and lack of rifle's .
    Mine is a 37 izzy (russian made )with all matching sn except the bolt which is a tula . Word to the wize . your sights aren't messed up , they are made to shoot high 6-12" . In the war they were taught to shoot for the belt buckle . that way your insured a better shot over a wider range of distances when set at battle sights .
    Strickly for the price and shootability I'd highly recomend 1 . To order the nylon stock , turned down bolt and scope mounts , i think will run you a little over a hundered bucks . The guys at 54r.net can tell you way more than you want to know about anything shooting this cal.

good luck