Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i justify a flasher

Default can i justify a flasher

bought a quikfish 3 on sale at SW, need to replace the spoon auger from my dads shed (that didnt work out very well) i got a sled,chairs, heater,poles and everything else, now im looking at flashers, if I go ice fishing once a week or maybe a little less,can i justify buying a 300$ piece of equipment? will it help me catch that much more fish? is it basically for knowing the depth of the water and being able to raise or lower your bait to the fish's depth? (thats what i gather) me and my son plan on going out more in FEB and March, trying to keep it somewhat cheap, most of this stuff was handed down. thanx for the help-great forum

I'm not trying to spend your money at all but it is justifiable in my opinion. I can study the lake contour maps for hours and still can justify the need for a flasher. If you don't know the lake's contour like the back of your hand without ice covering, you will never know the depth of water you are fishing unless you plan to punch a hole and fish the bottom in every spot or fish in real shallow water. They are nice to be able to punch holes for depth checks, contour checks, and for marking fish. Another advantage, it will allow you to be mobile with your quikfish. If you don' t have any luck in one spot, move to another spot, punch a hole, and drop in the transducer and make an assessment of the contour and depth. If you plan on fishing deeper water with suspended fish, you will never know they are suspended and it's rather difficult to judge your depth in relation.

Take a look at the lowrance brand flashers/finders. They have models where you can utilize the flasher as well as the contour map on the LCD or split the screen and see both simultaneously if you plan on spending $300.

If all you want to know is the depth buy a sounder from cabelas like 120 I think. brush the snow off the ice pour some water from a water bottle on the ice and set the sounder on the ice and it will read through the ice and giv you a depth. I personally feel that the lower 48ers like them cause of the water clarity isnt as good down there. They will help in laker fishing but Thats about it. You should beable to see down a wayz if ur in your house and I most generally punch 3 or four holes in a square when Im in my house so I can see down. Drop some egg shells or beans down and you should beable to see bottom in most lakes around with some exceptions. I have a showdown flasher and a cabelas camera and use the camera way more. I would go for a camera if it were me..

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    If all you want to know is the depth buy a sounder from cabelas like 120 I think. brush the snow off the ice pour some water from a water bottle on the ice and set the sounder on the ice and it will read through the ice and giv you a depth. I personally feel that the lower 48ers like them cause of the water clarity isnt as good down there. They will help in laker fishing but Thats about it. You should beable to see down a wayz if ur in your house and I most generally punch 3 or four holes in a square when Im in my house so I can see down. Drop some egg shells or beans down and you should beable to see bottom in most lakes around with some exceptions. I have a showdown flasher and a cabelas camera and use the camera way more. I would go for a camera if it were me..
    I agree I have both and the only time I use my flasher is when the fish are suspended. I use my camera way more then the flasher. Plus if you take the kids its a really great way to get them hooked the love to be able to see the fish on the screen. Actually they use the camera and I get stuck with the flasher when I take them.

Just get a Vexilar FL-8 or 18 and be done with it period. No need to even punch a hole to find the depth. Just clear the snow and poor a little liquid - any liquid and set the transducer on the ice. They are great! You can watch the fish come into your lure by watching the different color flashers on the screen. Gauranteed to out fish your buddy that doesn't have one. My .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I would say yes But only if you have the extra money.
    I have a color camera setup as well as a FL20 and I hardly use the camera anymore.
    With the camera you can only see what is in front of the lense and only at that depth. With the flasher you can see the entire water column all the time. I have had many instances where I saw a fish on the flasher at a totally different depth and was able to adjust and catch those fish. Some of those fish were 20"+ trout.
    When the fishing slows I instantly know when the fish have returned and those fishing with me know to pull their rods from the holders and start jigging and be ready if they aren't already holding their rod.
    My girlfriends son loves to use the vexilar and I think he sometimes treats it like a video game. He sees the fish come in then tries to figure out how to catch them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

All I ever used was camera (despite my poor luck with them surviving over a season or two) until a got a flasher. Now I use the flasher 90% of the time and it's bullet proof for years of service. Good investment if you have the extra cash.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

i have a camera and wish i would have bought a flasher instead.

The Lowrance flasher is a very nice unit, but beware that it uses LCD technology. LCD does not function well in very cold weather. One advantage a traditional flasher unit like the Vexilar has over other depth finders is that it doesn't freeze up, slow down, or spit out false readings when it gets cold (at or below zero). As has been mentioned, being able to see suspended fish is a huge help. It is also great that it reads in real time- there's no scrolling delay.

Either camera or flasher are very useful. Personally, I like the flasher as it shows suspended fish. What the camera gives you is the ability to see exactly whats happening around your bait. You will be able to see many bites, especially from burbot, that you may not have known about if you weren't able to see them.

I think it comes down to whether you're fishing clear water or tannic stained lakes, and what depth you like to fish. Deeper than 10 feet, or stained water, and its likely you won't be seeing the fish around your bait too well, if at all. The question shouldn't be whether electronics are worthwhile or not, but which electronics you should invest in.

thanx for all the input, just bought a strikemaster lazer 7inch hand auger, cabelas has the hummingbird ice 35 flasher on sale for 279$ im looking at that one.

buy a showdown if you can find one they are bullet proof and lots easier to read cause its straight down not in a circle. as for the cold on the lcd i have seen my buddies work in -25

Quote Originally Posted by jesseakhunter View Post
    buy a showdown if you can find one they are bullet proof and lots easier to read cause its straight down not in a circle. as for the cold on the lcd i have seen my buddies work in -25
    Sportmans Warehouse carried these this year and they sold like hotcakes. Not sure if the are getting any back but it would be worth checking into.

I agree with the showdown. Very simple and very durable. I could even detect my swivel with it. They are a bit pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    bought a quikfish 3 on sale at SW, need to replace the spoon auger from my dads shed (that didnt work out very well) i got a sled,chairs, heater,poles and everything else, now im looking at flashers, if I go ice fishing once a week or maybe a little less,can i justify buying a 300$ piece of equipment? will it help me catch that much more fish? is it basically for knowing the depth of the water and being able to raise or lower your bait to the fish's depth? (thats what i gather) me and my son plan on going out more in FEB and March, trying to keep it somewhat cheap, most of this stuff was handed down. thanx for the help-great forum
    do you want to catch more fish? its effin simple a person with a flasher will out fish a person with out one 9 times out of 10. forget the underwater cameras all they do is get in the way when catching fish. ya its cool to look at the structure and the fish but in the end all they are worth for is finding transitions between bottom structures. that would be the last thing i would buy if i wanted one
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Angry Broken Showdown:(

Took my showdown out this past weekend and the little plastic arm broke for one. Cheap design. The second problem I encounterd was a lot of clutter on the bottom half of the screen. No matter how much I tried to adjust it the screen still looked like crap so I turned mine off. The guy I was fishing with had a Vexiliar FL12 so we used that and that thing worked like a champ! I really liked the colors on it. You could see the fish locations better with this flasher than with the gray scale. I am going to call Showdown tomorrow and see what they say. If they did not get my waranty card I mailed I am pretty much screwed according to the book. I will take it to the range and blast it if thats the case. Can you say bye bye $350.00!

I was ice fishing at a lake and the boys from Infisherman were filming. When the cameras were rolling they would use and tout the Showdown but when they were prefishing for the segment and finding the areas to fish they were using their Vexilars. Showdown is one of the sponsors so that is why they are front and center on their show. As fisherman they were using what worked best and not who was sponsoring them. Maybe you can sell your showdown on Ebay and use that money for a flasher (Vexilar, Marcum, etc).

donate it for taxes? My showdown works fine, I like it. Yes the arm design is faulty, the unit it self works great. Just like you first posted easy to use, durable and for me light WT, I really like the digital true vertical display. You can isolate sections and also reduce the noise of other units being used around you.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

alcan, the same thing would go with any company and their warranty card. probably the best part about your showdown is that it is fully updatable. as for someone els that said sportsmans sells them yes they do if you can get on their waiting list. as far as getting them back i have not heard of any being returned. other than that if its good enough for a jedi its good enough for me

Default Showdown Company

I contacted the company today and I explained the problem of course I was the first person to have this issue. They told me to send it in to them. I will say the customer service rep on the phone was helpfull once I got through. By the way Sportsmans has two Showdowns on the shelf up here in Fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    I contacted the company today and I explained the problem of course I was the first person to have this issue. They told me to send it in to them. I will say the customer service rep on the phone was helpfull once I got through. By the way Sportsmans has two Showdowns on the shelf up here in Fairbanks.
    And if you go to wasilla or ancorage sportsmans they will ship it to that staore..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast