Thread: Sat.Phone 9555 vs 9505a

Default Sat.Phone 9555 vs 9505a

Some say the Old 9505a still works better in Ak....

Quote Originally Posted by PA18AK View Post
    Some say the Old 9505a still works better in Ak....
    Great thread! I will be adding one of these to my gear stable this year and have been wondering which way to go as well!

I used a 9555 heavily this summer (~1000 minutes) and have experience with the previous 9505A. No difference as far as I could tell for reception or call lock (both stink in the mountains). I really like the lighter weight and smaller size of the 9555. Battery life is excellent, but the 9505A's good also. It's more "cell phone" like to use, which is nice. I use the txt feature quite a bit as a way to leave messages to other users.

The only drawback I could see was the generally weak looking anntenna when extended. I don't know anybody that has broken one yet, but I'm sure it's possible. When the the anntenna is stowed, it's a really tough package and takes quite a bit of abuse. Generally I would say the 9555 is an improvement in user functionality, but not worth trading your old phone in for.

For those that don't know, it's possible to both send and recieve txt's on both the 9505A and the 9555. A person can also send a txt too an Iridium from www.iridium.com and replys will go to that person's email account. My wife uses that function quite a bit when I'm hunting.

Yk

I have a 9505A. Love it. Again sometimes in the mountains because of blockage of the satellite signal. Also does not like being used inside any type of hard structure. Has a great external antenna that I can connect up at the cabin. Used it from Kaktovik to Nome to Bristol Bay to PWS. Have extra batteries for the cold as they get sucked down fast in Sub Zero Temps. I will only buy a new sat phone when this one dies.

I have had great luck with the 9505a also, but it now needs to be replaced . I like the size & wt. Of the 9555..I just haven't used it...Thanks for the info

I just upgraded my 9505 for a 9555 last week. Everybody who I talked to said the 9555 sounded better but I can't tell a difference. My 9505 was a workhorse and never had reception issues including making a few calls for kicks from ground floor bars in high rise buildings. Mountains, trees, bad weather, it didn't matter. The phone worked great. I haven't had the 9555 long enough to make a good comparison. The 9555 has an available pole-mounted rooftop antenna and a simple hook up so we can use the new phone indoors. Surveyors has a nice hard case and all the accessories. Battery life is impressive so far but it is brand new. I like the size and the antenna but if it breaks it has to be returned to Iridium for repair. 9505 and 9505A antennae were far from bulletproof but they were easy to replace. The 9555 is way easier to carry in a pocket. If I don't have it on me it isn't much good so I really like the thinner profile and lighter weight.

I did get my external rooftop antenna up this weekend. The antenna coax attaches to a small diameter whip cord that connects directly to the plastic snap-on fixture that comes in the 9555 phone box. Full power while cozy on the cabin couch. Sweet. I couldn't do that with my 9505. So far I have nothing but positives to report about the 9555. While my 9505 was a great phone the 9555 size and external antenna features make this one even better. I wouldn't ditch a healthy 9505A for the 9555 but I wouldn't go out and buy a 9505A instead of the 9555, either.