Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp pots..Stackable .vs Collapsible??

Default Shrimp pots..Stackable .vs Collapsible??

Another shrimp pot question. I have various shapes and size pots now, but they take up too much room on the boat. This year, I'm looking to change up to either a stackable/nesting pot or collapsible ones, so I wanted to get the Pros and Cons for each.

Whatcha gonna do w/ the ones you don't want? I'll buy em

I have the stackable kind and like them. Never used the collapsable kind. I'm guessing that the footprint of the stackable kind is larger than that of the collapsable kind, but for the stackable kind the only space you're going to take up on the deck (or bow or wherever) after you set the first one down is vertical.

I have had my best luck with the round mesh stackable pots. I am not saying that the collapsable pots wont fish, but the ones i have had were worthless. I threw them in a dumpster because i was not comftrable giving them to somebody and having them waste time, fuel and that hope that they are going to nail some shrimp.

I guess my biggest concerns are how sturdy are the stackable ones? Do they tear/snag easily? I pulled up some coral on my last time out, strained my puller, but didn't hurt the pot any.

On a buddy's boat one time, and he uses the same stackable pots as I do, he once had to tie the line off to a cleat and pull VERY hard with the boat to break loose a snagged pot. The pot was no worse for the wear and tear.

Last year I used square pots that Steve builds, Ladner pots which where stackable http://www.ladnertraps.com/ and the collapsible that fold up flat. All of the pots caught shrimp but the square collapsible ones had the fewest shrimp per set. The square 2' by 2' pots that Steve builds where really good and had good catches of shrimp. The Ladners where 39" size they had about the same catch rate as the square 2' by 2' but took up alot less space. The Ladners where harder to pull up but if you have a good pot puller you should not have any problems.

I have five of the collapsible traps that Steve builds. I got them because I wanted to have space on the boat for more stuff than just traps (22' boat). What I've found is it's really not that big a deal as the first thing I do when I head out is to set the pots and then they are off the boat and out of the way. I have heard the folding pots catch less, and perhaps that's true, but I don't have any of the non folding variety.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'd get the non collapsible pots because they are being offloaded quickly anyway.

The answer to these and many other questions like, which bait they like, do they come and go, what pot do they like best etc, may be closer than you think.
    The "Master of Metal" has begun working on the housing for our deep water camera! What began in a joking conversation with Steve has turned serious and a small group of us are on a mission of discovery. Two crabbers and myself are working thru the many considerations of "photography at 700 ft." and hope to make a test run yet this summer!

I imagine we will discover what most of us already know, which is put a good pot on good shrimp ground and they'll go in! There's not much science to it, but for the sake of conquering something from left field we will proceede!

Mike

I have 2 flat folding pots (1 from steve, 1 from BJ's) and 3 fixed pots that I am selling. I also have 3 ladners. On my Dinghy space is at a premium and I prefer the ladners. I have taken the collapsibles and fixed pots out and dropped them then went back for camp etc. Have also taken them out on bigger rented boats. They fish good if you have a bit of room to work in. (I run a 15' zodiac).

I'm anxious to see the results. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    The answer to these and many other questions like, which bait they like, do they come and go, what pot do they like best etc, may be closer than you think.
    The "Master of Metal" has begun working on the housing for our deep water camera! What began in a joking conversation with Steve has turned serious and a small group of us are on a mission of discovery. Two crabbers and myself are working thru the many considerations of "photography at 700 ft." and hope to make a test run yet this summer!

I imagine we will discover what most of us already know, which is put a good pot on good shrimp ground and they'll go in! There's not much science to it, but for the sake of conquering something from left field we will proceede!

Mike

I bought my rigid pots from Potbuilder. I looked at the collaspable ones and didn't like the larger opening, which allow the starfish, crab, etc to enter. His rigid pots are amazing. They catch shrimp and keep out the stuff you really don't want. So I just had an Arch built wide enough to store my pots on top if I'm not gonna drop pots immediately, if I plan to drop quickly before we fish, I just line them up and bungee them in place. I looked at the stackable pots that Donaldsons Builds. The only thing I liked was the stackability feature. I must say, that Fish and Game out of Seward uses the Donalson pots. I've seen them on the boat when checking up on me and then head out towards Nuka Bay direction.

Mike
    How about starting another thread describing your 'build' process on this, similar to what people do with boat builds, but this would be different and pretty interesting. Are you going to tether it and watch it real time, or put a camera in a sealed case and pull it in and review the results later?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    How about starting another thread describing your 'build' process on this, similar to what people do with boat builds, but this would be different and pretty interesting. Are you going to tether it and watch it real time, or put a camera in a sealed case and pull it in and review the results later?
    Mike's going to have a big raft up of boats every night to watch the new movies, i'm going to be second or third in the raft on the way to the theatre and manning the popcorn, beer & hot dog concession !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

All of our fixed pots are from Steve and we couldn't be happier. We compared them line by line to other pots and his out-shrimped. His bait is the only thing we use as well.

Mike
    Hey i'm going to have to change your name from Master of Metal to just plain Mike Nelson? anybody remember Sea Hunt??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Fixed pots from Steve. Geat Pot and they catch enough shrimp for me and my wife. Very sturdy too. Thanks Steve for a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Hey i'm going to have to change your name from Master of Metal to just plain Mike Nelson? anybody remember Sea Hunt??
    Sea Hunt!!! We give away our Age with that one. Most spoken line from that series, "And then I saw it""

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Sea Hunt was one of my favorite shows....add Sky King and the bases were covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehnifer Quinn View Post
    All of our fixed pots are from Steve and we couldn't be happier. We compared them line by line to other pots and his out-shrimped. His bait is the only thing we use as well.
    Me too...and we have some of his collapsible/folding pots too....Steve's pots outfished other brand pots of same size but different openings by a margin of 2:1...I think it's his openings. I didn't even notice the folding was different size opening than the rigid (is it Steve??) but I alway get a run on Octopus (Octopi? Octopussies?) for awhile no matter what pot I use, they can get thru some pretty small openings, even the BIG Octo's (that's it )

Stacking seems precarious to me, depends on the water conditions, maybe have to at least bungie them! Steve's pots are flat and stackable too, but we just leave them in the water all the time, pull them/rebait, put them back in until time to put up for the season...THEN it's nice to unfold them and stack them flat in the boat.

There is a high quality octagonal pot made down near Seattle, more expensive and especially if shipped to AK...Steve's (Potbuilder) pots work great, fair price, and he has all the other stuff you need including line, floats, swivels, he responds quickly to info requests, and has great bait too and it's all Made in AK so meets my needs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast