Thread: GPS warmer

Default GPS warmer

Anyone ever find a device to keep your GPS warm and working while mounted on your snowmachine. I know about using a hand grip warmer, but out there some where there has to be a device made to do this as many people are now carrying their GPS on snowmachines.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Not really, for the simple reason the only practical way to produce and control heat is by using the snowmobile electrical system, and any other method would cost a lot more than a thumb warmer.

Rutting what I was hoping to find was a system already made up with a warming pad/disk (like the hand warmer).

Have you tried one of those heat packet things?

The only one I have seen is the aluminum one at the GPS Store, home made here in the AK. But it is kinda big and ugly. I was out today at -35 with a thumb warmer on a RAM mount I have never had any problems with my Vista. I too wish there were something out there, even thought my current system works, it can't be good for the electronice to be working at -35. I know is is hard on me.

II have not tried the heat pack, may try it till I can come up with some thing longer lasting and more permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    II have not tried the heat pack, may try it till I can come up with some thing longer lasting and more permanent.
    give me a few seconds and I'll go snap a picture of my heated gps plate. This helps out big time, and a 12 volt plug-in for power too. I think it's made by RAM.........wait one second

No, there is no mass-produced commercial product for this application. There is no market for it. Sure, there are a hundred folks who would want such an item. But to make a heated GPSr mount with enough models to fit all the popular GPSr units out there would be cost prohibitive and the manufacture would never recoup the costs.

But a $20 thumb warmer kit. Stick it to the back of the mount. Install takes 5 minutes. It is a complete solve for the GPSr heating problem.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Here's a picture of the mount that I made. My gps is getting old but is tried and true. I simply plug into the accessory 12v outlet for gps power, and tied into the wiring harness in the headlamp assembly with a warmer kit on the back of the RAM mount. It hasn't caused any issues and keeps the gps plenty warm, I've been using it for quite a few years. If you need any help wiring one up, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. The toggle switch is only for the heater, and only works when the machine is running. The 12volt accessory plug-in works when the snowmachine is running or not.

Attached Images Attached Images

Use a stick-on pad designed as a thumb warmer. They work perfectly for small GPS installs that use snap-in mounts.

I made a mount out of aluminum with foam inside to protect my Garmin 76cs from damage from vibration. I used a thumbwarmer glued to the back of a piece of aluminum to spread the heat out.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks for all the input. Just ordered the warmer kit and will get it all put together when all the parts get here.