Thread: Kayak fishing

Default Kayak fishing

Learning to kayak can add to your fishing experience. First of all, you see few if any other fishermen, and second, the fishing is top notch because of lack of access.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i have been wanting to get into this but have not really known where to get started, any suggestions on boats to look at? I mostly flyfish, and would not do it every weekend, but would like the option to paddle some distance to get to some places with less fishing pressure

I've been using my packraft more and more for fishing. The beauty of a packraft is that I can roll it up and stick it in my backpack, thus allowing me to hike into places that I couldn't possibly carry a kayak into, fish, and then float home.

Default Boat choice

Ik's haul the most gear and are the easiest to learn too use. A pack raft is the most packable, and a kayak can get you places where no other boats belong. I have used all three types of boats, and they all have advantages over each other. However, I have dragged my kayaks for miles and miles, through brush, devils club, up-hills and down hills,and I like how they handle when I get there...
    If I had a choice of one boat for all things, hunting, fishing, and running whitewater, I would go with an NRS Bandit, at 20 packable pounds. This boat will leave you more than enough room for extra gear, and they are easy to handle on most whitewater.
    I have found most of the rivers in the valley have awesome fishing between the rapids, access is usually fly-in or a 20 mile hike, you choose, and the whitewater can be challenging at times. Water flow and difficulty makes a big difference with successful runs with some types of boats, but for most occasions they all work.

Default A great creek choice.

I'll give you guys a great example of why learning to do this can add to the experience. The Brushkana is usually pretty darn good fishing around the campground, or within a mile or so, right. The fishing below the whitewater is so good, you get bored. The catch is the class II-III whitewater between the road, and the holes. For those of you who are not getting into a one man boat, of any type, could also do alot with a Super Puma, with alittle more effort of course.
    Don't forget life jackets, helmets, drysuits, and general safety gear.

I have kayak fished for 4 years now in FL GA, rivers, lakes, creeks, salt, and unnavigable marshes. My tarpon 120 can handle all of these including class II rapids and 3' swells with ease. I prefer the wilderness systems over ocean kayaks because of the material. OK is built softer to flex in the waves but really you cant notice it. You will notice the bottom of the hull deteriorating quicker though. I use a kayak cart with big wheels to carry my yak in, best part -it breaks down and fits into your yak. Modifying a yak can be quite exciting

Always file a float plan
    Always have a VHF/spot
    Always have a ditch kit

Any questions LMK

Default family fun

Always alone, well except for the bears.

Default Satsfaction

A picture can say a thousand words