Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Creek float??

Default Clear Creek float??

I'm thinking about floating Clear Creek (Talkeetna) in early August. We'll basically be fishing for rainbows & grayling.
    My initial questions are:
    What service did you use to access the upper creek?
    How long did the trip last? How much float time?
    I imagine beads & flesh will cover the majority of fishing, but what other flies should produce?
    Are there any rapids I need to be aware of?
    Any private property of which I should be aware?

Thanks
    Gary

Hints:

Helicopters are expensive
    Use google there's at least one outfitter pimping that river
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Be wary of the nutball above the canyon.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Hints:

Helicopters are expensive
    Use google there's at least one outfitter pimping that river
    Monkey
    I'm aware that the river is being fished & I understand the "Google" basics.
    I knoiw copters are expensive.
    So basically, thanks for nothing.
    You've proven (once again) that a person with NOTHING to say, can still be heard. Is this a great country or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Monkey
    I'm aware that the river is being fished & I understand the "Google" basics.
    I knoiw copters are expensive.
    So basically, thanks for nothing.
    You've proven (once again) that a person with NOTHING to say, can still be heard. Is this a great country or what?

Beware of the nutball that has the 2nd post
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

PowderMonkey...Proving once again that there is one thing folks on this forum can agree on....

Perhaps we can petition the mods to change his handle to Summers Eve???

(Apologies to the OP for the lowjack)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

You need a helo. 2 years ago pollux aviation had a small robinson available for part of the year at something like 630 an hour, hobbs meter time. They did not have enough business to keep a ship there so now you have to pay ferry time which is not inconsequential. Last year there was no helo service until late august when an a star came for 1500 an hour. I have never had worse customer service when trying to give someone thousands of dollars. Never returned calls and was impossible to nail down.

Three years ago there was an alloutte(sp?) there owned by a company called denali helicopters. Similair in price to pollux but went by his best timing guess not hobbs meter for hourly billing so again was very expensive.

Bottom line is the helo scene in talkeetna has been very turbulent. Last year for your timeframe there was not a ship anywhere close to the town. You can prob find out as well as anyone else if there is going to be a presence there at this time. Keep in mind an a star has a huge payload but if you have to sling gear you need two flights as pilots can't fly passengers and slings legally. So between 2 and 3 grand minumum if the a star is there.

Matt

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Default Hi Gary

I know a couple of people who have done the upper section. If I am correct there is a landing strip above the canyon. The canyon is supposed to be class II-III whitewater with good fishing. A packraft is another way to access that area. So with this said, make sure your competent on whitewater, and watch for the bears.
    MO

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    I know a couple of people who have done the upper section. If I am correct there is a landing strip above the canyon.
    MO
    I believe that strip is private. There is a small group of houses on river right that own that particular strip. Topo maps show another public strip WAY up the river but everyone has told me it is now overgrown and inaccesible. You would also need some serious chainsaw work to go much above the private strip.

I understand the "Google" basics.
    Obviously not very well. I answered every single one of your questions for myself in 10 minutes between google and this very website we are on. And my internet is slow.

So basically, You've proven once again that America is dumbing down. This IS a great country. Thanks for everything.

Gary the one time I went to Clear Creek I caught a ride on Mahays and I just kind of fished around the mouth. Seems like an awesome place though. On a side note don't worry about Summer or his buddy icb messingale, they're proprietary....

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Gary the one time I went to Clear Creek I caught a ride on Mahays and I just kind of fished around the mouth. Seems like an awesome place though. On a side note don't worry about Summer or his buddy icb messingale, they're proprietary....
    Beer out the nose.....WOOT
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

One of my friends who use to guide the Talkeetna took some clients down Clear Creek about 10 years ago. I can't remember how he got in but would be surprised he used a helicopter. I do remember seeing pictures and remember him telling me that he spent a lot of time cutting trees out of the way with a chainsaw. They did catch some rainbows but nothing of great size. They had to do some dragging as well.

fish the mouth. i got a rainbow there when i was flossin for salmon. bit my yarn halfway through the drift. dont have to go any further up then that. plus then you can party on the sand bar!!! will be up there in august again next year for the silvers!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Proprietary? au contraire Mr Fullbush. I am more than willing to help people and provide information. A fact proven time and time again on these forums.

I just refuse to drink chucks koolaid and jump on the monkey gang bang train that rolls through here full steam ahead every now and again. Call me crazy.

Now then;
    Don't you have some more underage girl aZ$ crack to go ogle at or something?

bwahahahahaha I'm good for nothing...

Seriously if you don't like my posts don't read them... DUH!

Also google will tell you 50% of what I know about access to that system, the other 50% involves private property so...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

Don't you have some more underage girl aZ$ crack to go ogle at or something?
    No Sir, I've shamed them into wearing britches that actually fit!

No Sir, I've shamed them into wearing britches that actually fit!
    Shucks, I was hoping to get in on that action.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Obviously not very well. I answered every single one of your questions for myself in 10 minutes between google and this very website we are on. And my internet is slow.

So basically, You've proven once again that America is dumbing down. This IS a great country. Thanks for everything.
    Good to see someone has Monkey's "back covered". Hope its satisfying for both.
    You are my new "Google God" - that's simply awesome and with a slow computer, yet. I am just bed***led by your accomplishment.

If the "dumbing down" consists of answering a request for info by what you & monkey posted, I couldn't agree more.

Now that you two boys have had your fun, why not cut classes this afternoon & go smoke some herring (or whatever you Juneau kids do to get high)?

Good to see someone has Monkey's "back covered". Hope its satisfying for both.
    You are my new "Google God" - that's simply awesome and with a slow computer, yet. I am just bed***led by your accomplishment.

If the "dumbing down" consists of answering a request for info by what you & monkey posted, I couldn't agree more.

Now that you two boys have had your fun, why not cut classes this afternoon & go smoke some herring (or whatever you Juneau kids do to get high)?
    Aaaawwwww... Someone is butthurt.

It will be ok gary. Come smoke herring with us and wooooosaah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast