Thread: Cell Coverage In The Bay?

Default Cell Coverage In The Bay?

I need some input on cell phone coverage in K-Bay. We are looking to figure out an option between the Ladies on shore shopping and us out fishing. When they are ready to "move" locations we need to be able to communicate between shore and boat......we have cell phones, we have Trak-Phones (pre-paid cell) for when we travel and 2-ways available....any thoughts based on reliability and convenience?

Thanks, P-geek

I've used both ACS (which is partnered with Verizon) and AT@T . AT@T was ok in the bay, but when I was near pogi or Flat Island, it was hit and miss. ACS was alwayd good for me. I just ditched ATT and now with ACS permenently.

Cell phone usage was touch and go for us at 25 miles out last summer. I don't want to debate one carrier is better than another but I couldn't complain with that kind of service.

We have left a handheld VHF radio with people on shore in the past but I'm not so sure you'll get any better reliablity than a cell phone at that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Physiksgeek View Post
    I need some input on cell phone coverage in K-Bay. We are looking to figure out an option between the Ladies on shore shopping and us out fishing. When they are ready to "move" locations we need to be able to communicate between shore and boat......we have cell phones, we have Trak-Phones (pre-paid cell) for when we travel and 2-ways available....any thoughts based on reliability and convenience?

Thanks, P-geek
    So let me wrap my mind around this. You're out fishing and the ladies want to move, you need to come back in? They're shopping in Homer? Please more details, please ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    So let me wrap my mind around this. You're out fishing and the ladies want to move, you need to come back in? They're shopping in Homer? Please more details, please ;-)
    Whats the issue? You're fishing and the phone doesn't work. I see no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    No kidding...that sounds ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    No kidding...that sounds ideal.

I use GCI and I get pretty good coverage out to Pogi and also maybe about 25 miles out in the middle, though sometimes when I'm talking to someone there it'll drop out. I've heard ACS isn't quite as good. I'm not sure what kind of coverage you'd get with one of the pre-paid phones.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default When You Say It Out Loud.......

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    HA!.......when you say it out loud it does not appear to be a problem at all does it?!?.....

To answer Gooch's question though, we was talking about dropping the ladies off in Seldovia or Halibut Cove and doing some fishing while they are looking around and/or shopping. So, our thought is the longer they have to wait on us to come get them......the more they "think" they need......and that is never a good thing!

Thanks, P-geek

Halibut Cove: Go have dinner one night at "The Saltery". After dinner, "do" the boardwalk shops. There aren't very many. You can take your own boat over or go over on the "Danny J".

Seldovia: By the time you drop them off, get them situated, etc., you won't even get out of Seldovia Bay or maybe to the kelp beds there, and it will be time to pick them up. If they don't fish, but still want to go to Seldovia, send them over on the "Rainbow Connection" boat. They do a Homer-Seldovia "tour" with a little tour time in Seldovia. Then back on the boat and back to Homer. If your women aren't in to fishing, that's the way I'd go. Otherwise, you'll be chasing your tail. Look these options up on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Halibut Cove: Go have dinner one night at "The Saltery". After dinner, "do" the boardwalk shops. There aren't very many. You can take your own boat over or go over on the "Danny J".

Seldovia: By the time you drop them off, get them situated, etc., you won't even get out of Seldovia Bay or maybe to the kelp beds there, and it will be time to pick them up. If they don't fish, but still want to go to Seldovia, send them over on the "Rainbow Connection" boat. They do a Homer-Seldovia "tour" with a little tour time in Seldovia. Then back on the boat and back to Homer. If your women aren't in to fishing, that's the way I'd go. Otherwise, you'll be chasing your tail. Look these options up on the internet.
    The experience of married man like myself. I would not take the phone and not take them anywhere (while I am fishing) with the expectation that I will get them back at any certain time. I also will not take them fishing unless they really enjoy it and don't get seasick. My experience is that not following this advice alienates both parties and is something to avoid.

As far as the trip over to the other side, I would gladly pay to have someone else take them over and back so I can actually enjoy my time out in K-Bay and that they can enjoy doing what they want to do if you guys are in a pinch for time. From my personal experience, you will both enjoy it more this way. Now if for some reason you have to take them over and back, just take them over and back as you won't time for anything else anyway. And you won't be annoyed you didn't get to fish. BTW, I too have found the cell phone coverage annoying good in K-Bay......

If they want to go to halibut cove put 'em on the Danny j for a lunch cruise. Personally I would rather spend the money on dinner at cups if I were looking to have a memorable meal. The saltry is, shall we say... not "dependable". Also if you show up in your own boat you may watch everyone who showed up on the Danny j get seated and served before you even get your water...
    If they want to go to Seldovia just take the Rainbow Connection, fairly inexpensive, and runs regularly in the summer.
    Shopping and fishing are not compatible pastimes
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Got it, sorry P=Geek it was just pretty funny for some reason must be the -22 I woke up to this AM in Anchorage and I have cabin fever. Anyway I got your jist man card given back, I just had to nudge you. Truthfully I have never been to Halibut Cove or Seldovia but I can't see a visit being an all day adventure. Leave 'em in Anchorage with the credit card!

Good luck, you'll have a blast down there.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Although not in Homer, I can't tell you guys how many conference calls and phone meetings I've had while out on my boat fishing. I've even landed kings by myself and the people on the other end of the line had no idea. A few years ago I was hunting up a mountain and had to do an hour long conference call. While I was on the call, a buck walked out. I hung up, shot the buck, dialed back in and finished the meeting.

Default Marriage Saved, Friendship Still Intact!

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    As far as the trip over to the other side, I would gladly pay to have someone else take them over and back so I can actually enjoy my time out in K-Bay and that they can enjoy doing what they want to do if you guys are in a pinch for time. From my personal experience, you will both enjoy it more this way. Now if for some reason you have to take them over and back, just take them over and back as you won't time for anything else anyway. And you won't be annoyed you didn't get to fish. BTW, I too have found the cell phone coverage annoying good in K-Bay......
    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Shopping and fishing are not compatible pastimes
    And because of that I have decided to pay the ferry ride over to the Cove of their choice. Thanks guys for helping me see the light.....I almost lost what would most certainly be a day of fishing......

To their credit I "sold" the idea as a day on the water.......now I do not want to, I just want to fish! If the decision is to still have a day on the water I will leave the fishing poles at home.

Thanks, P-geek

Thanks for the input.......John

There's not much in the way of "shopping" in either place. Halibut Cove they can check the galleries, but that doesn't take long. Seldovia....I can't think of anything over there worth shopping for. All I've ever done is the general store for odds and ends. However, if the ladies like scenery or tide pools, there are some cool trails in Seldovia that are fairly easy little hikes to some nifty spots.

But yeah...send 'em on another boat. You can get in and out of Seldovia fairly quick if you're on your way out to the fishing, but Halibut Cove is a run in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    If they want to go to halibut cove put 'em on the Danny j for a lunch cruise. Personally I would rather spend the money on dinner at cups if I were looking to have a memorable meal. The saltry is, shall we say... not "dependable". Also if you show up in your own boat you may watch everyone who showed up on the Danny j get seated and served before you even get your water
    I've heard that also, but it wasn't my experience. I'm not advocating any one place over the other. I've actually only eaten there (Saltery) once, and was treated very nicely. (Though the "Danny J" group came in after us) I could see where we might have been put on the back burner had we arrived later.