Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recurve draw weight for moose and caribou

Default Recurve draw weight for moose and caribou

About a year ago some low life stole my Black Widow recurve, custom quiver, and several gold tip broadheads out of my truck. I was drawing about 59 pounds and used two blade Magnus heads.

Thinking about replacing the bow, but...and I hate to say it... I ain't getting stronger as I age, and I wonder if I might do myself a big favor if I order the new bow with less draw weight? I'm sure I could draw the same bow right now with no problem, but being north of 60 with tennis elbow on the left, and bursitis in the right shoulder, I need to consider these issues when selecting a draw weight for the future.

I've been successful over the last year in trying to put a recurve and bow hunting behind me but I'm weakening and considering getting back to business.

What say you experts?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim; got to http://ww.tradgang.com/ for advice and info and to ask questions. For a very interesting site with lots of information on more efficient bows got to http://www.acsbows.com/ They have some bow designs that they say will match your old draw weight performance at a lower draw weight. I haven't shot any of their bows but they are on my wish list. I am waiting for a 2 pc long bow of their design. I think that with most any bow and the right set up ( tuned arrows, shot placement, SHARP broadheads, etc) as long as you are using the leagal draw weight for AK big game regs you will be ok if you are patient enuf to get close enuf and do the right thing at the right time.
    JMHO, good luck!

Jim, a new 50# Black Widow with a 550-650 grain carbon arrow and two blade head put in the basket will blow through one side and out the other. Anything above that weight is just a bonus and a farther walk to recover your arrow.

I agree with Boud'arc, I got a 52# Blackwidow + - 1 lb and it get great penetration. when I shoot my foam target and compare my compound arrows with my re curve, there is only about 1 inch difference (compound is 63 lbs) in penetration at 25-30 yards.

Can't say I'm an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once...

All my recurves are 53#-55# at my 28.5" draw length. I shoot 29.5" 4560 CXTH with a 50 grain brass insert and 125 grain Magnus 2 blades, arrows weigh 500 to about 530 grains, depending whether I'm using a cap wrap and vanes rather than feathers. I don't take shots beyond maybe 22 yards, and every deer I've arrowed with these setups have been clean pass throughs. Based on the deer I've shot, I would hesitate to use these setups on moose.

Thanks, fellas!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    Can't say I'm an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once...

All my recurves are 53#-55# at my 28.5" draw length. I shoot 29.5" 4560 CXTH with a 50 grain brass insert and 125 grain Magnus 2 blades, arrows weigh 500 to about 530 grains, depending whether I'm using a cap wrap and vanes rather than feathers. I don't take shots beyond maybe 22 yards, and every deer I've arrowed with these setups have been clean pass throughs. Based on the deer I've shot, I would hesitate to use these setups on moose.
    Meant to type; "would not hesitate". ****ed rented fingers...

IMO, get a Mathews compound
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I shoot a 55 lb. @ 28" Great Plains Recurve. If I had the money, I would upgrade to a 60 or 65. When I bought it about ten years ago, I was a pretty experienced compound shooter. I was just learning to shoot a recurve at the time so I wanted to start out with a light weight draw. A 55 lb. is sufficient to kill a moose and/or a caribou, but I think a 60 to 65 lb. would work better. A couple years ago I shot a black bear from my treestand with it, but my broadhead hit the shoulder blade and didn't make it deep enough to finish the job. I think if your shot is placed right a 55 lb. bow would work fine, but then again there are times when a little more force would be better for some of the larger bodied animals we have up here. Just my 2 cents, but I am sure there are a lot more experienced traditional archers out there who might have a different opinion to offer.

50 or greater is fine, in fact more than enough!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I made mine overseas out of laminated bamboo. Draw weight just a hair over 60 which is way more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I shoot both compound and traditional and seriously thinking to hang up the compound and just shoot traditional, i think its a personal thing but to me it is so much more rewarding. to each its own.

Agree 55 and up is plenty. I also am with wiso. I grew up shooting recurve, and compound. I still have both but really enjoy the recurves much more.

Jim,
    If you do go up in draw weight a good help is a cheap ebay warm up bow. My hunting bows are a #55lb Bear and a #60 Martin, I also have a 45 lb Pearson cougar I grabbed for like $40 off ebay. If I go a few months without shooting, a week or two of the easy shooting Cougar gets the muscles/fingers back in the swing. Alaso makes a great starter bow for anyone in the family that shows interest.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    if i understand correctly, i believe the OP has moved past training wheels.
    (joke, fellas, it's a joke...okay?)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Jim,

I have the same problems you have...62 next week, bum left shoulder from a fall last 4th of July (no I wasn't drinking) and all the normal ailments us seasoned folks get. That said, I've been shooting a recurve since 1971, was a hunter safety instructor when I live in Homer and still teach bow hunting in MD and have off and on for 35 years. Never shot a moose but have taken elk, caribou and hundreds of whitetail and I'm really happy to see no one is recommending an 70+lb pull like I see in the fairy tale magazines.

I use a 45 lb Martin that I can select which hair I want to hit up to 15 - 18 yds and 2 bladed broadheads and I have never had anything but pass thrus and dead animals. As we all know, placement of a sharp broadhead is the answer and it does not take mega powerful bows to kill. Double lung or even a single will end the chase pretty quick.

For what it's worth, I beleive if you can shoot 45 - 50 lb and hit that 4" circle on the target every time at whatever range you are comfortable, you will do just fine. I hate to say this but if I have the same problems next summer with my shoulder I may need to go back to training wheels myself...oh the shame!!

Joe

Jim you have gotten some great advice from these guys. I have never killed a moose with a recurve myself but have guided a lot of hunters who have.
    Lowrider are you a member of the MD bowhunters association?? if so have you heard about the moose hunt they are auctioning off?? I have some great info on that hunt if you are interested PM me.

Yukon,

I am not a member and really not interest in shooting a moose. I have 3 freezers full of deer, but thanks for the offer.

Joe

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have an old Bear recurve that comes in around 50 pounds at my draw length, so I think I'll mess with it before I order another Black Widow.

Jim

Lowrider 50 pounds peak draw is the leagl minimum for moose in Alaska.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thanks Rick...I should have checked the regs before I posted....sorry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast