Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .358 Norma Mag

Default .358 Norma Mag

So, would it be fair to say that the .358 Norma is essentially the same as expanding the 7mm RM to .35 Cal?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    So, would it be fair to say that the .358 Norma is essentially the same as expanding the 7mm RM to .35 Cal?
    "essentially" yes. More closely would be .338 WM necked up, but they're all basically the same case with a few minor dimensional changes. I have never made Norma brass from 7mm but I have from .338 and .300 WM. The .358 Norma is my favorite cartridge.

The case capacity is 7-9 gr greater, depending on the brass used, because the shoulder is farther ahead on the Norma than the 7mm and 338 case. I have used both to form scores of 358 Norma, and besides the neck being a tad shorter, they work fine.

W-W 338 brass is not nearly as "soft" as Norma brass, and I routinely load 250 gr bullets beyond 2800 fps, with good case life and no loose primer pockets.

A great advantage to the shoulder being farther ahead, besides increased case capacity, is that when forming cases, you can resize the brass so the bolt just barely closes on the case. This gives you perfect headspace for the first firing.

Ted

There I was, late at night, at "The Bench", staring at a .350RM round, and a 7mmRM round, wondering, wondering, then it occured to me that the reason it had never been done was that the Norma was just that round, more or less.....
    Thanks gents.
    Ted, you back home yet?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

More more, than less.

PM sent.

358Norma mag is one of the best big game rounds if not the best. I love 35 caliber cartridges. They certainly do rock.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Could a 7mmRM be converted to .358 Norma? Failing that, what would be the best caliber to convert?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Friend of mine in Whitehorse had his Husqvarna 7mm RM rebored and rechambered to 358 Norma Mag, and I had one rebarreled to the same. Both rifles fed, fired and extracted, perfectly, with no other work needed.

Easy way to find out is just put a couple of rounds in your 7mm, and try feeding them slowly into the chamber. They won't chamber all the way, of course, but if they go in halfway, you are in business.

My bet is it will work just fine.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Could a 7mmRM be converted to .358 Norma? Failing that, what would be the best caliber to convert?
    If you're talking about re-boring I'd say that's a stretch unless you have a pretty heavy barreled 7mm. If you mean re-barreling it should be no sweat at all. That's how mine was built. I had a 7mm Mag Zastava Mauser and used it as my platform. If you've got a mauser action I can recommend the Adams&Bennet pre-threaded, short chambered barrel for a 35 Whelen. That's what i bought, rented a reamer and easily chambered it to .358 Norma. It shoots better than I ever could have hoped for for less than $100 for the barrel. Some people will turn their nose up at the brand, until they see it shoot that is.

7mm RM, 338WM,300WM and a bunch of others should be very easy conversions to 358N. Install and chamber a new barrel and you should be there. It's not likely that any feed rail work will be needed. I think it's one of the best all around calibers there is. Bullets are available from 110gr through 300gr. Short of hunting rhinos, the 358N should work pretty good for just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Short of hunting rhinos, the 358N should work pretty good for just about anything.
    You don't think it'd be enough for Rhino?

I know a PH from South Africa who came up for a visit a couple years ago shortly after I had built my 358 Norma. He was VERY impressed and said if it were legal he would have no problem using it on any dangerous game.

I like mine a lot also, and although it might work I'd feel a little more comfortable with my 416Rem and even better would be something shooting 500+grs at about 2300fps. Bell shot elephants with a 7x57 but that still doesn't make it an elephant gun. I guess some could hunt brown bear with a stick, give the stick to the bear and still kick his butt. That's not me though.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I like mine a lot also, and although it might work I'd feel a little more comfortable with my 416Rem and even better would be something shooting 500+grs at about 2300fps. Bell shot elephants with a 7x57 but that still doesn't make it an elephant gun. I guess some could hunt brown bear with a stick, give the stick to the bear and still kick his butt. That's not me though.
    I agree with all of that. Were I hunting Rhino I would probably choose something else. I just thought you were implying the Norma wasn't sufficient. I think it is more than "enough" but agree you can't have too much gun in those situations.

My 7mm is a Tikka T3, don't think I'd want to shoot the Norma in that light a rifle...
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yukoner:
    Just put a 24" heavier contour barrel on that tika and it should be managable. To me the 358N is as close as there is to the perfect Alaskan cartridge IF you are a reloader. I wish Remington had chambered rifles for it when it first came out.

How does the Norma mag compare to the .358 Shooting Times Alaskan? Any advantage in chambering a rifle in a wildcat like the .358 Shooting Times?

Quote Originally Posted by tradbowkill View Post
    How does the Norma mag compare to the .358 Shooting Times Alaskan? Any advantage in chambering a rifle in a wildcat like the .358 Shooting Times?
    You'll be burning 15-20 gr more powder, needing a longer barrel length to take advantage of that powder burn, and in some rifles the longer magnum action, all to gain maybe 300 fps. The Norma is no slouch in any category and I cannot ever see the need for the hassles of the STA that the Norma would not handle just fine. Perhaps if you were needing to shoot some REALLY long shots the extra velocity would help, but I don't think there are many people who need that kind of reach with this kind of power.

Yeah, you would want to make sure if you had dentures that they were secure before you pulled the trigger on that light package.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I've seen the .358 Norma brought up recently in a few different places. It seems that Murphy's .358 Nukalpiaq deserves mention/comparison in a thread about standard-length, magnum-faced 35's.

ps-I wouldn't be turning a Tikka into one of those either.
    Drink indigenous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
    It seems that Murphy's .358 Nukalpiaq deserves mention/comparison in a thread about standard-length, magnum-faced 35's.
    The development work Murphy did and was posting about is what brought me to this forum several years ago when I was deciding what .35 cal cartridge I was going to build my rifle around. I still think it is a very interesting cartridge, but I settled on the Norma because components, dies, reamers etc. were more easily obtained for less investment. I'd love to hear some more about the Nukalpiaq's load development however. I haven't seen Murphy or anyone else post about it for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast