Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best factory ammo for moose with 30-06

Default Best factory ammo for moose with 30-06

I searched several old threads. I couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

I'm looking at my first moose hunt. I have a trusted 30-06 that I am very comfortable with. Many folks have said that an '06 is plenty of gun especially if you can place your shot correctly.

So, what factory ammo and bullet would you recommend?? Also, what grain, 180 or 220??

Right now, I'm leaning towards 180 grain Ultra core-loks. I've killed a lot of deer with core-loks and the ultra's seem to have better mass retention than the plain core-loks.

A quality 180grn load that you and your rifle shoot well. As to which manufacturer, that is something you need to determine at the range. There is a large sampling of ammo on the shelves these days that will do the job admirably, that just means that you have to do your part at crunch time.

Good luck !

Whatever you're killing deer with will get the job done.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    A quality 180grn load that you and your rifle shoot well. As to which manufacturer, that is something you need to determine at the range. There is a large sampling of ammo on the shelves these days that will do the job admirably, that just means that you have to do your part at crunch time.

Good luck !
    I agree with 338. I have gone back and forth with this many times. I also shoot a 30-06. I have bought trophy bonded bear claws, nosler partitions, and just about every kind of premium ammo you can find. The bottom line is, you gotta have a bullet that shoots good through your rifle, and is affordable enough so that you can practice at the range. It will do you no good to have the most expensive bullet out there if you can only afford to buy one box and you don't even know how it shoots through your gun. Instead, buy yourself a couple boxes of core lokts, and pattern your rifle well. I am sure many ballistics experts out there are going to disagree with me, but I have talked to several people who all claim that core-lokts are fine. If I had a choice, I might upgrade to a different rifle like a 300 or a 338, but I would say for an 06, 180 grain core lokts are fine. Just my 2 cents.

The good news with .30-06 ammo is that a lot of thought and research has gone into those bullets for many years. In the '06 I think you can forget premium bullets for the most part and just find a standard 180gr load that your rifle likes and isn't so expensive that you won't shoot many of them.

I've taken quite a few critters with an '06 and got stellar performance from all of the loads I tried- including Corlokts, Federal "blue box", and Winchester power points. I think the flashy bullets are better served in cartridges with higher velocity.

I like the old 220 core-locs
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

For cheap stuff, I would choose the Federal Blue Box over the cor-lok's. On average, they are more accurate and actually chrono at 2700 fps out of the the myriad of 06's Ive ran them through. If you feel the need to hit the woods with a premium, the nosler partition have worked well for me on game.

It really won't make a lot of difference as moose are not hard to kill. You should get complete penetration on any thing except a front to back shot and maybe even then. They aren't really very hard to hit either and have a good kill zone about the size of a large beach ball. I would probably pick the cheapest stuff I could find in 180gr. If you rifle will shoot under 3" at 100yds that is still only 9" at 300yds, easily minute of moose. If it won't shoot a lot better than 3" the gun probably needs fixed not the ammo. I have shot several moose using a 270win and a 308win using 150gr cheap bullets and all were pass throughs. I had one 130gr Hornady from my 270 that only made it through both shoulders and was on the hide on the off side. Your 30/06 with any 180gr is more than enough. I don't know what the best is but the point is you don't need the best as anything will do nicely.

Default barnes X

30.06 used to be my round, and I shot nothing but barnes X at live creatures.

Use LOTS of cheaper rounds of the same weight to get really good at gun control (hitting exactly what you aim at, at a variety of stances and distances), then take just a few shots with barnes bullets so you know you're hitting the same spot (you will).

You can easily find this ammo, and it works.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

I looked around at all of my options for the old 30-06 for moose hunting. When choosing between 180 grain and 220 grain bullets i needed to know what kind of country i was hunting in. Lighter bullets travel farther, while heaver bullets go through more brush with out being deflected or "exploding" For factory ammo i used Winchester Supreme Elite in 180 grns. Just so you know what the box looks like:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34740-5.html (im not plugging for the guys, but it is about 10 bucks cheaper this way)

This is the ONLY over the counter ammo i could find in 180 grains that went 2750 feet per second (FPS) at the muzzle all other 180 Grn. ammo has a muzel velocity of 2700 Fps. It has the same bullet design as a Nosler Partition bullet. As a reminder, John Nosler designed the partition with the intent of killing moose. To make his auto biography short, he became mad when all the over the counter ammo either did not penetrate on a moose properly (too soft of a bullet) or just punched two little holes in it (too hard of a bullet) making him track the moose down. He came up with the partition bullet which is the happy medium of penetration and expansion.

What i personally do is use the Winchester supreme elite in 180 grains and sight it in at 2 inches high at 100 yds. I also load out my bullet pouch 1/2 180 Grns and 1/2 220 grns. When i load the shells in my rifle, the first one i put in is 220 grains the rest are 180. So in real world shooting order, the first 3 are 180 grains down range and the last is 220. The logic there is that if it is running away, i bet i don't empty my rifle. If it is running at me (thinking more bear here than moose) the last is the 220 grain that has maximum knock down power.

Further more, if i enter into a really brushy area, i may go ahead and pull a 220 grain out of my pocket and chamber it, rembering to swap it out for 180 grain if i get back to a clear area. The 220 grain wont deviate too much from my point of aim, and it is nice to have the harder hitting round ready to go if i need it. It wont deflect as badly from the brush (remember you cant see the twig in your scope).

I can personally attest to the 180 grn Winchester Supreme Elite cleanly taking a medium bodied bull moose at about 80 yards last fall. It took 4 LONG steps and piled up. But remember, what ever you are shooting and it -doesn't matter the caliber- shot placement is critical. With the 30-06 we trade a margin of error that is available for someone with say a 338 magnum. How ever, the 30-06 is readily available world wide not just for rounds but for parts also, and you don't tear up as much meat when you kill something.

Am i the only wacko that hunts with two different bullet weights?

I have carried 2 different weight bullets before. While moose hunting with my .338 win mag, I hunt with 210 grain Nosler Partitions, but I will also put a 250 grain partition in my gun in case of a bear encounter, probably not necessary, but gives me a little better piece of mind.
    Alaskans for Alaska

I've never killed a moose with a 30/06, but I've skinned many moose that have been shot & killed quite cleanly with factory ammo in the '06. Personally, I'd be very comfortable with any 180 grain or heavier factory load and would consider using a 165 grain TSX or the like. Planning a hunting trip is exciting and carefully scrutinizing your rifle/ammo selection is part of the fun IMO, but don't worry yourself over making a poor selection. You'll have uniformly perfect performance from the 30/06 with an entire host of ammo choices--the 180 Ultra Core-Lokt numbered among them.
    Esse quam videri

The only time I've carried different loads is spring rabbit hunting with my single shot 20 gauge. I carried a breneke slug in case a hungry spring bear encounter. Well I accidently put the slug in the breach instead of bird shot, well the next rabbit got a big hole and I got the recoil shock of my life expecting bird shot.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    A quality 180grn load that you and your rifle shoot well.
    What he said.

Whatever shoots best in your gun. In mine I go with Federal Premiums in the 165 gr. btsp. Use 'em on deer, elk and moose. I don't have to re-sight my gun when switching loads depending on what animal I'm hunting. I know where I'm gonna hit at all times, unless my scope gets jarred.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Thumbs up

I agree 100% with the statement, that a quality 180gr that you and your gun shoot well will work just fine.

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

Whatever bullet and load your rifle likes and you can shoot comfortably will be the one to go with like others have said moose are not hard to kill so save your money use the cheaper priced ammo and practice more. Good luck on your hunt!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Here is the web page i have saved for cheap ammo:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...spx?c=96&stk=1

under the pull down box that says "caliber" select 30-06 or what ever you want

For target practice Im going to use my tax refund for some of the lightest, cheapest ammo i can get. Just stay away from "metal" bullets, i heard they are hard on barrels that arnt specifically designed to handle them such as most sporting riffles. Now we are all out of excuses not to practice.
    Last edited by Spookum; 01-23-2011 at 02:36. Reason: link was goofy, didnt narrow search to only 30-06 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    I looked around at all of my options for the old 30-06 for moose hunting. When choosing between 180 grain and 220 grain bullets i needed to know what kind of country i was hunting in. Lighter bullets travel farther, while heaver bullets go through more brush with out being deflected or "exploding" ?
    I was recently talking with an old timer about this very question, the OP's I mean, on .30-06 bullets for Deer mainly,.... and he referred to this idea of a heavier 200gr or 220gr for "huntin' in the thick stuff, "not being deflected by brush,".....

So Spookum may be right here, I'm wondering what the general consensus is on this.
    As it seems a stretch to me that anything wouldn't be altered massively by even the smallest twig between the Barrel and the killzone,

Not trying to start a debate here but hopefully it applies enough to the OP question,
    Is this really a reason to go with a heavier bullet for 30-06 ?? In your opinions, ??

Thanks, I really have no idea, looking for the answer.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Is this really a reason to go with a heavier bullet for 30-06 ?? In your opinions, ??
    In my experience and reading the tests and experiences of others dealing with brush, I'd have to say no. Craig Boddington has done some extensive testing and some real interesting hunting where seemingly unstoppable heavies (470s and like) with heavy bullets and low velocity were deflected considerable distance at close range by brush. I once had a blade of grass 10' from the muzzle push my 300 at least 20' from my steel target at 100 yards.

At the speeds and weights we're talking there would be little to no difference in "deflection resistance" and I really believe the biggest factor in deflection is rotational velocity imparted by rifling rather than muzzle velocity or bullet weight- kinda like a high speed drill walking when attempting to drill through metal without a starter hole.

Bottom line- I believe if you're shooting a centerfire rifle through brush the results are gonna be unpredictable...no matter what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast