Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dall sheep hunting suggestions

Default Dall sheep hunting suggestions

G'day guys my name is Andrew and i live in Sydney Australia , I am looking for any recomondations on a Dall sheep guide for 2012 as i am looking for a hunt then.

I am not worried about a fly camp style hunt as we hunt that way down here and dont realy need the whole heated tent and steak dinners every night, i am more used to pack hunting with 2 min noodles and i am hopeing this may save me some money on what is an expensive hunt for me.

Anyway thanks for any help and i realy hope to get over to Alaska soon as it looks to be a mind blowing place.

Check out these guys. They are some of the best! Great people to boot!

http://tokmanagementarea.com/guides.html

Sometimes I look at the regs to get ideas where to go hunting. You can see them here: http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ations.hunting
    They may change but not by much. Your guide SHOULD know the regs and be able to help you out. Ive know of some sweet spots I am going to try for my sheep, but I am keeping those a secret. Good luck with your hunt.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Have fun with your search, I started my search for a dall sheep outfitter in November and have just about figured it out. Lots of options out there, some very good ones and some that are ok. I'll send you a pm with what I know.

Well not sure how to send you a message so the ones that I narrowed it down to were as follows:

Braun Kopsack
    Max Schwab
    Alaska Big Game Safaris - Todd Walton
    Rick French - Alaska Alpine outfitters

I don't think you could go wrong with any of these guys based on the number of guys I've talked to.

I am not to concerned with shape more lenght and topography of an area dosnt bother me much either as i am pretty fit and actualy enjoy the ups more then the down hills.

Thanks Dalldreamer will look into those as well.

The ups are a lot easier on the knees than those downs!!! Chances of rolling an ankle are greater too....i know
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    I am not to concerned with shape more lenght and topography of an area dosnt bother me much either as i am pretty fit and actualy enjoy the ups more then the down hills.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I believe you should also contact Jake, aka BRWNBR, right here on the forum.
    He gets some fine rams every year. His clients, some of whom I have spoke with, seem to strongly support him and the hunts he conducts. If you PM him here on the forum, don't be surprised if he takes a few days to get back with you. If he currently conducting "guided trapping trips".

dennis

I have two suggestions. Narrow down your search by choosing which area of the state you would like to hunt. In order to choose where you would like to hunt, do some research. Check out harvest reports on the adf&g website. After you look through the stats, call the biologists with specific questions about the areas you are interested. It helps to have all your ducks in a row before you call. They will usually not give out any specifics unless you ask the right questions. Next, after you have selected where you would like to go, look up hunting guides in the specific area and ask for a list of references.

So in summary.

Do your homework, select and area.

Call guides, ask for references.

Thanks Whitepalm and no offence taken although i have rolled my ankle a few times at work none in the field yet ( fingers crossed).

Dalldreamer do you know of anybady that has hunted with Max schwab? Thats a cheap hunt at $9,500 + tags and lic.

If your heart isn't set on going to Alaska there are also dall sheep in the Yukon and North West Territories. Check out the websites of
    Bonnet Plume Outfitters (Yukon)
    Arctic Red River Outfitters (NWT)
    I have guided in both these areas for a total of 9 years and never seen a resident hunter.
    Regardless of what you choose remember that sometimes you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Check out these guys. They are some of the best! Great people to boot!

http://tokmanagementarea.com/guides.html
    I remember when I was a little kid, Sue used to stay at my aunt and uncles house during Fur Rondy. She was a frequent contestant in the fur bikini contest, and I was always fascinated with the cool furs and garments she brought to town with her. My aunt and uncle were great, pioneering Alaskans, and from what I've been told by them, the Enstmingers are of the same caliber.

I'd much rather hunt with people that have a passion and love for the resource that they are hunting, than with people that see nothing but the almighty dollar when it comes to a dead sheep....

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Thanks Whitepalm and no offence taken although i have rolled my ankle a few times at work none in the field yet ( fingers crossed).

Dalldreamer do you know of anybady that has hunted with Max schwab? Thats a cheap hunt at $9,500 + tags and lic.
    A close friend hunted with Max in 07 and had a great hunt, I've talked to several others who have as well, he is an old time outfitter(30 years) who isn't in it for the money, everyone I've talked to who has hunted with him raves about him and his operation, the guys that go sheep hunting with him do very well.

Thanks Dalldreamer i will give him a call.

All you guys have been a great help and i thank you for that. Please feel free to add anymore recomondations you may have.

Have to starte another thread now "What to look for in a Dall"

deltana outfitters brooks range sheep, one of the best, killed a nice 12yr old there. referred two friends and they killed a 41" and a 38 heavy broom ram. Ralph Miller and Jim Miller own it.

Jawz, off the subject but how's the hunting down there?

Default Paul Claus

Matt Synder would be my first choice if I was seeking a guided dall sheep hunt.

Paul Claus is another guide who has a very good area. Let's say that last year for his clients didn't suck.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I'd second Deltana Outfitters as well. I've not hunted sheep with them but used them to fly me in for two caribou trips. My dad and I met alot of their hunters coming out of the field and all of them were very happy with their experiences. Both times I was up there it seemed that half the hunters were repeat hunters. That's saying alot. Ralph Miller is a great guy and I have no worries about recommending him and his partner.

Looks like a dead post. last time he was on here was last post date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast