Thread: .338 ultra mag

Default .338 ultra mag

Hi all, I recently purchased a .338 ultra mag in the rem. 700. Do any of you own this caliber? What do you think of it's performance on our big game?

Don't have one, but it is faster than the Winnie and can throw a heavy bullet faster. I do not think there is any reason not to expect excellent performance.

have witness poor penetration with lead nosed bullets from them. i talked with nosler about it, they said the guns are to fast for the bullets these days, hitting to hard and the bullets fall apart quickly, resulting in less penetration. my 338 win with a 25 grain lighter bullet out penetrated a 338 UM with a 250 partition i think it was, by over six inches, his shot didn't even enter the opposite shoulder, mine when thru both. alot to be said for mainting a velocity that partners with the bullet. there not all made to go fast and hit hard. nothing as good as the orignal.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Big .338 Ultra

I have used the .338 Win. Mag. for over 30 years. I will always use it. With that big .338 Ultra Mag case I would load the 250 grain X bullet or a 250 grain Swift to about 2800 FPS at the muzzle and go hunting. I am a fan of the 250 grain X bullet but I rarely shoot over 300 yards and I am only getting about 2665 MV out of the Win. Mag. If you learn to shoot it you should have a big game killing rifle/load son of a gun!

225gr accubond at 3140fps works like a charm. It hits much harder than the win mag but both are good big game rounds. In the rifles that I have shot the 338 RUM was much more accurate.

I appreciate the feedback. I felt it was time to upgrade as there are lots of bears out during moose season. In the caribou hills it is quite possible I might have to defend myself oneday.

Default Asking for a friend...

Just curious about a couple of things -

What type of powder are you using for the load described and how many grains?
    Also, what is the Cartridge Overall Length when it is ready to load and shoot?

Default try heavier

You guys should try 275 grain speers or 300 grain hawk bullets.

jedi

right now I don't reload, but I do have a friend that want's to fix me up with some better loads.

Default try this

conley precision cartridge co.

they got a 275 swift a frame load at 2680 fps.