Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you start fishing burbot?

Default When do you start fishing burbot?

We don't bother much until March, but it seems some of you guys are at it now.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner Ted View Post
    We don't bother much until March, but it seems some of you guys are at it now.

Ted
    Same here, March is usually the most productive when they're spawning. When they're really running, I like to bring ice fishing buddies who don't eat fish.....they make the best fishing buddies. I urge most to save the liver and eggs of March burbot. It's a delicacy and does amazing things to a fish chowder....it just blends in and gives the chowder a rich healthy flavor. To get to good Burbot here in AK, you have to snowmachine quite a ways out to get to areas with good bag limits.

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought we moved past pictures like that..... guess some of us haven't.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I would rather see a guy pose with a pile of game that was going to be used to nourish himself vs some dude posing with a "trophy". Mainer if you ever want some help pulling in those hogs let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    I thought we moved past pictures like that..... guess some of us haven't.
    sometimes I just don't have a camera, but rest assured, more pictures to follow. I've got cabin fever right now and need to get the heck out of here for a week (at least), just making sure my old utility snow machines are ready and reliable to go long distance. My secret hot spots are still there just waiting for February/March (longer days). Give me a second and I'll post a picture of it broken down into it's freight sled. I should have painted the custom freight sled, it's starting to rust, and my ice house getting a bit weathered to from not covering it with a tarp in the off season.

You have no need to defend yourself. That is a fine spread of fish you got there. Whether they are big or not, it all tastes the same in the kitchen. I wish I had a nice burbot honeyhole like that. I don't suppose you are going to spill the beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    You have no need to defend yourself. That is a fine spread of fish you got there. Whether they are big or not, it all tastes the same in the kitchen. I wish I had a nice burbot honeyhole like that. I don't suppose you are going to spill the beans?
    I think what assassin is alluding to is the fact that it is an older picture and that I should display some newer materials(he's right). I only posted it back up because Ted is kind of new on this forum and just wanted to show him a picture of the shack. Like most Alaskans, I get a little secretive about posting places I hunt or fish on a public forum. My Alaska is different than other's Alaska in the sense that I don't want to know about a hunting spot, or a fishing spot, or a technique you use to find population densities. I want always for it to remain a mystery, and an adventure......to discover your own Alaska. Along the way......I've been skunked, and sometimes get lost in all that big country......but eventually......you connect.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I think what assassin is alluding to is the fact that it is an older picture and that I should display some newer materials(he's right). I only posted it back up because Ted is kind of new on this forum and just wanted to show him a picture of the shack. Like most Alaskans, I get a little secretive about posting places I hunt or fish on a public forum. My Alaska is different than other's Alaska in the sense that I don't want to know about a hunting spot, or a fishing spot, or a technique you use to find population densities. I want always for it to remain a mystery, and an adventure......to discover your own Alaska. Along the way......I've been skunked, and sometimes get lost in all that big country......but eventually......you connect.
    I know. I was just kidding. I didn't really expect you to reveal your spot. I got spots I don't reveal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I would rather see a guy pose with a pile of game that was going to be used to nourish himself vs some dude posing with a "trophy". Mainer if you ever want some help pulling in those hogs let me know!
    Absolutely, and amen!
    People who fish for sustenance have my admiration and support. Can't fully say the same about people who just catch 'em for jollies, especially when they hang 'em by the gills for a picture before they release them. Still, they're fishermen and they help keep things legal.

That looks like a pretty snug home away from home, mainer. Just for fishing, or sleep in it too?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Same here, March is usually the most productive when they're spawning. When they're really running, I like to bring ice fishing buddies who don't eat fish.....they make the best fishing buddies. I urge most to save the liver and eggs of March burbot. It's a delicacy and does amazing things to a fish chowder....it just blends in and gives the chowder a rich healthy flavor. To get to good Burbot here in AK, you have to snowmachine quite a ways out to get to areas with good bag limits.

Holy smokes that is A LOT OF BURBOT!!!
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I start fishing for burbot as soon as there's good ice. Everything improves in the spring of course but I haven't done bad this time of year. For me the time of day, bait, and depth are all key.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehnifer Quinn View Post
    I start fishing for burbot as soon as there's good ice. Everything improves in the spring of course but I haven't done bad this time of year. For me the time of day, bait, and depth are all key.
    Email sent.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

That is a nice stack of fish there. I have caught Burbot on Big Lake before during end of Feb beg. of March. Not a catch like that though. On new years eve the wife and I went out to Mirror Lake to kill some time and did some Ice fishing for some bows. They were so small didnt catch any of them, but I was surprised to pull out a very small burbot. Didnt know they were in the lake. I too have my secert honey holes that I go to for Pike, but it aint easy access, but well worth the travel and trouble.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Yeah, and lining them up and posing for a trophy shot isn't the same thing.... give me a break. A LOT of people enjoy doing this, I'm just not one. I never once thought, I should line up all these ducks and have my picture taken with them. Too self indulgent for me. I was thinking, crap look at all these ducks I have to clean. By all means keep them coming. They always give me a chuckle.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Attachment 44509Kingfisher and friends back in the day:

Quote Originally Posted by Shoedawg View Post
    That is a nice stack of fish there. I have caught Burbot on Big Lake before during end of Feb beg. of March. Not a catch like that though. On new years eve the wife and I went out to Mirror Lake to kill some time and did some Ice fishing for some bows. They were so small didnt catch any of them, but I was surprised to pull out a very small burbot. Didnt know they were in the lake. I too have my secert honey holes that I go to for Pike, but it aint easy access, but well worth the travel and trouble.
    Probably a blackfish.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I caught a burbot on New Years out at big lake, maybe 3-4lbs. Slipped right out of my buddy's hands and into our other hole though! haha.

We did see probably 10 in a 3 hour span on my camera, and this was late evening - midnight-ish.

Nice pic Mainer! I too can't wait for the bite...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Attachment 44509Kingfisher and friends back in the day:

so thats why there are no decent trout left around seward........ive often wondered.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast