Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrowtooth flounder?????

Default Arrowtooth flounder?????

I bought some pollack at Walmart in Eagle River today and saw they are selling bags of frozen Arrowtooth flounder from the deep cold waters of the north Pacific. Would this be the same Arrowtooth flounder in PWS???? Has anyone eaten them? When I first tried to cook them they disintegrated! Maybe it`s just me!

From what I understand they have some sort of enzyme that is released when the fish dies. This enzyme causes the flesh to break down when being cooked. If the fish was flash frozen immediately it stops this process. I have also been told that Arrowtooth are sold commercially from some fast food places. I have caught them, but never knowingly eaten them.

ummm yea i caught an 18# arrowtooth in resurrection bay a few years back, when i tried to fillet it like an hour later, it was mush.

Release Lake Trout

there is an enzyme that is released when the fish dies, through the urea that is still within the fish when caught. This is from what I have been told. If not filleted within an hour of catching, the meat just turns to mush. I'm from the east coast originally and love flounder but this west coast stuff, I don't even bother with.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Here is a past thread on them. Brian had some really good info to share.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...nder?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    there is an enzyme that is released when the fish dies, through the urea that is still within the fish when caught. This is from what I have been told. If not filleted within an hour of catching, the meat just turns to mush. I'm from the east coast originally and love flounder but this west coast stuff, I don't even bother with.
    Just trying to clarify here, but are you saying east coast flounder is better than Alaskan halibut? I'd have to agree on the arrowtooths. The one's that I ever tried filleting were both mushy and also full of worms. But I'll take an Alaskan halibut over an east coast flounder any day. And I lived on the east coast fishing Maine and Cape Cod for about 30 years.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Just talking about flounder here, not comparing to halibut. East coast flounder to west coast flounder is quite different from each other. I'm originally from Long Island so I used to make money in high school from clamming and catching lobsters, flounder and tautog on the weekends. Halibut is still up there but other seafood is right up there too.
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 01-15-2011 at 17:40. Reason: causeI can
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default flounder

WOW. nothing was said about flounder being better than halibut. as someone who first ate fish growing up on the east side of the atlantic i can tell you that flounder is good. my favorite food as a kid was plaice. but here in alaska i eat lots of halibut. I like a black rockfish or a red more though.

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    WOW. nothing was said about flounder being better than halibut. as someone who first ate fish growing up on the east side of the atlantic i can tell you that flounder is good. my favorite food as a kid was plaice. but here in alaska i eat lots of halibut. I like a black rockfish or a red more though.
    Well, here we go again. Someone taking a QUESTION I asked as being a STATEMENT that is the end all and be all. "The Whop" mentioned that "I'm from the east coast originally and love flounder but this west coast stuff, I don't even bother with." All I did was ask if he was comparing east coast flounder to west coast halibut. I wasn't admonishing him, or trying to make it sound like I am THE authority on the subject and shouldn't be questioned. I was just asking a very simple question. That's all. A simple question. Why do you have to get so offended by my asking a simple question? Short fuse there "twodogs"?? And then he gave me a perfectly good answer to my question that answered to what I asked and was a great answer. Not some "off the wall" comment from "two dogs" making is sound as though I had blasphemed the fishing gods themselves and TOTALLY offended whatever sensibility you might have (which certainly must be put into question after an outburst like that).

I also find it interesting that you "as someone who first ate fish growing up on the east side of the atlantic" I take it you're from Europe or somewhere south of that. Or did you live on the east coast of the USA and eat fish that were imported from the east side of the Atlantic? The east side of the Atlantic is from about the British Isles down to Africa (give or take a little). If you're from the east coast of the USA then you grew up eating fish caught on the WEST side of the Atlantic. Just curious where you got that plaice from. And there's nothing wrong with plaice in its right place!

muttley, i grew up on the west coast of ireland. that is the east side of the atlantic from here. why do you feel the need to attack everybody?

flounder is not a fish I will eat, tried it and didn't care for it. I would eat it if I was starving I guess, but halibut, cod, rockfish, and irish lords are too easy to get and they are the fish I like to eat
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    muttley, i grew up on the west coast of ireland. that is the east side of the atlantic from here. why do you feel the need to attack everybody?
    LOL! As usual, ask a simple question and someone thinks I'm attacking them. All you had to do was explain where you grew up, just like I asked and not take it as some "attack" on you. I am very weary of everyone on this site taking what I have to say in the worst possible way an making the worst of it. Maybe you should have looked at it from the viewpoint of my asking where you grew up so you could clarify that instead of taking it as some personal attack on your being. I asked, "Just curious where you got that plaice from" and for some weird reason you're offended by my question.

Why aren't you attacking Hoose for saying flounder is a fish he wouldn't eat? I've had flounder and I'd bet most people couldn't tell the difference between flounder and halibut.

Muttley, perhaps he was offended because you didn't just ask him where he was. You felt the need to explain to him where the east coast of the Atlantic was and where the west coast was, therefore it's a pretty simple jump to wonder if you were being condescending. Most adults know what east means and what west means, so it seems reasonable to assume that a person knows what they're saying when they say where they were.

muttley, nothing personal. i think it is how you word things. hoose only said he would not eat flounder, i love flounder, and have dulled a few knives on starry flounder that tasted great, but he does not have to like them.

Hey Brian , I don't know the diff between the east and west direction except when I have a compass right in front of me, LOL. That said, Some people take offense no matter what is said but thank G_D i don't know the diff there either. Flounder is good, halibutt is better and trout almondine is the best what trout has to offer, if you use nuts!!!
    Muttley, don't let every post lead you to get offensive, it just ain't worth it. Let';s go fishing this summer so I can brag you up...thewhop

Sorry to have instigated a squabble. I was born and raised on Cape Cod and know the difference between flounder,fluke and plaice fish. Halibut on either coast is a different creature. The flounder in PWS have lesions on the bellies consistently. The arrowtooth seems to be a scavenger not to be put in the same group as the "edible" flatfish. I was just shocked to see them for sale......but then when I grew up, no one ate mussels and they didn`t even make good bait.

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    I bought some pollack at Walmart in Eagle River today and saw they are selling bags of frozen Arrowtooth flounder from the deep cold waters of the north Pacific. Would this be the same Arrowtooth flounder in PWS???? Has anyone eaten them? When I first tried to cook them they disintegrated! Maybe it`s just me!
    Just curious .What were they charging for Pollack and were they fillets or whole fish ?? Thanks

I am sorry.....I didn`t look at the price. Last years fish is gone and I wanted some scallops and filets. These were filets flash frozen. Would love to get some fresh cod, however.

to be clear, i am not advocating to anybody to try to eat an arrowtooth flounder.just a mushy mess. cut them loose and keep fishing. the other flounders that you get in the kenai dipnetting or in most estuaries are very good though. a lot of knife work for the amount of meat but very tasty.

I think he is just mad because no one will attack me because I dont like to eat flounder
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast