Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 444 marlin whatcha think ?

Default 444 marlin whatcha think ?

Lets hear what people have to say good or bad.
    performance, reloading, what kind of bullet, game taken w/ it, bla bla bla

Good round. Good bullets available. Easy to load for. Bla bla bla.

The newer ones with better twist rate than 44mag are good for heaver hotter loads.Do think the 45/70 is better overall kinda of like 454 over 44mag
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've had one for 20 years and haven't shot it for probably 17. I shot 1 white tail with it.

It's heavy and impractical for most hunting applications IMHO. I'll give it to one of my kids when they get older and they can shoot it 50 times, then put it in their safe for a few decades.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I chose the .444 Marlin as a youth hunting whitetails in Michigan. A bit overpowered? Probably, but I rarely needed to track one. Waiting for broadside shots ensured I would damage little meat.
    I still carry this same rifle today. I've used it for 20 plus years and am very comfortable with it. With a simple 4 power scope I can take game out to 175 yards shooting a 265 grain hollow point.

I'm comfortable with it and its never let me down. And that's that.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I cannot think of a single reason to select a 444 instead of a 45/70 if the rifles are similar such as Marlin's 444 and 1895. There may well be one, but I'd be interested in hearing it. This does not mean that the 444 is bad, but IMO it is "worse" than other more available options...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I cannot think of a single reason to select a 444 instead of a 45/70 if the rifles are similar such as Marlin's 444 and 1895. There may well be one, but I'd be interested in hearing it. This does not mean that the 444 is bad, but IMO it is "worse" than other more available options...
    More available?? Please explain. I see .444 rifles and ammo at every sporting goods store I frequent.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I personally like the 444 Marlin. I have an XLR with Ballard rifling. I'm not so convinced that a 444 can't do what a 45/70 can. You can shoot anything up to a grizzly with the right load. Working on developing handloads for it right now, I want to be able to kill a grizzly at <200 yards. I originally bought the 444 because I could use the same bullet for reloading either the 444 or 44 mag pistol & rifle. My first outing I shot a moose using Hornady 265 Leverevolution ammo, one shot and dead.

Good round, I like it. I'd sure like to find a Marlin 444p Outfitter.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    More available?? Please explain. I see .444 rifles and ammo at every sporting goods store I frequent.

I meant no disrespect, perhaps the 444 is more popular than I supposed.

However, just for argument sake, if I use rifle availability/production as an indicator, the 444 is available in only two factory produced rifles (1 & 2). In its history I can think of only two others (the short lived 444 Marlin GG & a small run of Win 94s--two variants, 1 wood stock & 1 synthetic), though I admit my memory can be very selective. Presently, Marlin lists at least 7 varieties of 45/70 rifles and there are other manufacturers (here, here, here, etc.)that chamber the grand old cartridge as well. There are at least a dozen companies that catalog ammo for the 45/70 and most of those companies produce multiple loadings (Buffalo Bore produces at least 5, Cor-Bon at least 4). To my knowledge 444 ammo is produced only by Hornady (1 load), Remington (1 load), Cor-Bon (3 loads) & Buffalo Bore (3 loads). That's 9 to 8 in favor of the 45/70 with at least ten other manufacturers producing additional loads for the 45/70 unaccounted for in the bargain.

So even if I grant your premise (though I must admit that is far from my experience) that you see "444 rifles and ammo at every sporting goods store" that you frequent, the 444 does not rate even a close second to the venerable 45/70 in availability in either rifles or ammo.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Just as a point of reference....the .444 is a modern day .405 Winchester and Teddy Roosevelt had no problem killing big game with the 1895.

I have .45-70. 450 Marlin and .444 and they are all very fine rounds inside 200 yds, and while I think nostalgia may promote the .45-70 ahead of the others, all 3 work when you pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I meant no disrespect, perhaps the 444 is more popular than I supposed.

However, just for argument sake, if I use rifle availability/production as an indicator, the 444 is available in only two factory produced rifles (1 & 2). In its history I can think of only two others (the short lived 444 Marlin GG & a small run of Win 94s--two variants, 1 wood stock & 1 synthetic), though I admit my memory can be very selective. Presently, Marlin lists at least 7 varieties of 45/70 rifles and there are other manufacturers (here, here, here, etc.)that chamber the grand old cartridge as well. There are at least a dozen companies that catalog ammo for the 45/70 and most of those companies produce multiple loadings (Buffalo Bore produces at least 5, Cor-Bon at least 4). To my knowledge 444 ammo is produced only by Hornady (1 load), Remington (1 load), Cor-Bon (3 loads) & Buffalo Bore (3 loads). That's 9 to 8 in favor of the 45/70 with at least ten other manufacturers producing additional loads for the 45/70 unaccounted for in the bargain.

So even if I grant your premise (though I must admit that is far from my experience) that you see "444 rifles and ammo at every sporting goods store" that you frequent, the 444 does not rate even a close second to the venerable 45/70 in availability in either rifles or ammo.

Well put! You win

I know .444 has better sectional density than .45-70 once you start looking at bullets in the 300 grain neighborhood.

I've toyed with the idea of reloading ammo for a trio of .44 caliber guns: Marlin .444XLR, Ruger Redhawk, and Charter Arms Bulldog. Alas, I can't buy everything I want...
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I know .444 has better sectional density than .45-70 once you start looking at bullets in the 300 grain neighborhood.

I've toyed with the idea of reloading ammo for a trio of .44 caliber guns: Marlin .444XLR, Ruger Redhawk, and Charter Arms Bulldog. Alas, I can't buy everything I want...
    444 is a 431 diameter bullet and 45/70 is .459. As sectional density is mass/diameter squared then your statement is true for any weight, not just 300Gr.

The 444 has always had the same problem. It is/was loaded with a 265 grn pistol bullet. While adequate for animals to the size of black bears at around 125 yds. It looses it's down range velocity faster than a heavier/denser projectile; With the velocity loss comes energy loss. In order for the 444 to develope the power/energy of the 45-70 it would need to shoot a dense 400 grn projectile at an equal velocity to the 45-70; then it could deliver said power/energy to its target.
    If your 444 is capable of launching and stabilizing a dense 400 grn projectile at a speed equal to the modern 45-70, it will serve you well.
    Make sure yours will stabilize a heavier bullet as many of these rifles are rifled for pistol projectiles not the longer rifle projectiles and do not stabilize rifle bullets well.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Me too! I reload for the XLR, Redhawk, C/A Bulldog, & a Win. 44 lever gun.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Just as a point of reference....the .444 is a modern day .405 Winchester and Teddy Roosevelt had no problem killing big game with the 1895.

I have .45-70. 450 Marlin and .444 and they are all very fine rounds inside 200 yds, and while I think nostalgia may promote the .45-70 ahead of the others, all 3 work when you pull the trigger.
    I disagree Teddy had trouble killing anything past 25 yards but then again it would not have mattered what gun he used.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

FWIW, I just noticed that the Magnum Research BFR is available in .444 marlin. That would have one heckuva kick.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Sooo do any of you guys reload for it ? If so do you use copper/core bullets or cast ?? I only see one response where someone has actually harvested something w/it. I was thinking to use it as a bear bait gun & a close encounter moose getter. Surely someone has poke a hole in something w/ a reload ??

The 444 Marlin loaded with a good Cast bullet can get a lot of work done for the hunter. I have killed deer, hogs with mine and when I switched to a cast performance and Beartooth cast bullet, I was truly impressed with velocity and accuracy and killing power. Been 4 years now since I sold mine but I did like it. I sold it and my 45/70 when I got my 358Win and I have not looked back.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    The 444 Marlin loaded with a good Cast bullet can get a lot of work done for the hunter. I have killed deer, hogs with mine and when I switched to a cast performance and Beartooth cast bullet, I was truly impressed with velocity and accuracy and killing power. Been 4 years now since I sold mine but I did like it. I sold it and my 45/70 when I got my 358Win and I have not looked back.
    Beartooth that was a good move. I think the 358 win is alot more efficient cartridge with better performing bullets. It will do anything those rounds will do and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast