Thread: What's the wind been doing in Willow?

Default What's the wind been doing in Willow?

I need to make some more trips out to my place to haul freight, about 20 miles west of Willow. Whats have the conditions been out there? Here in Wasilla it's a rerun from last month. Been dying to get out but that wind just cuts you like a knife.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Maybe look here,
    http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Wi...typeclick=big2
    I will be headed out tommow in the heat of the day, around noon,to 3pm, i fig going to be about the warmest then,
    Looks like going way down tommow night, I guess i will see how well my 800, 4 stroke SWT handles this.
    Did you get your belt ajusted?or fig out whats up with that guard rubbing,I have bent them trying to get that holding pin back in place,Sometime they can be a real pain in the ****, Wouldn,t want to be working on that, out on the trail in this weather..

Willow doesnt have the wind problem Wasilla does. Its been below zero pretty regular instead.

It looks like Thursday before the cold snap starts to break. Now is the time to prefab, precut, bundle, pack and plan. Good luck in your ventures.
    Mike
    Don't forget to double check your equipment and machines. The count now is 3 for jackshaft failures on LL only 2 weeks ago. 3 Machines that left their riders walking.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Maybe look here,
    http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Wi...typeclick=big2
    I will be headed out tommow in the heat of the day, around noon,to 3pm, i fig going to be about the warmest then,
    Looks like going way down tommow night, I guess i will see how well my 800, 4 stroke SWT handles this.
    Did you get your belt ajusted?or fig out whats up with that guard rubbing,I have bent them trying to get that holding pin back in place,Sometime they can be a real pain in the ****, Wouldn,t want to be working on that, out on the trail in this weather..
    Still haven't narrowed it down, I was hoping Labrador Boy would know what to do but he hasn't replies yet. As far as the other guys post concerning the transmission, I'm really clueless what he's taking about. I know I could bend it, and I may do, but my concern was it never did this before the belt change.
    Thanks for the weather report, see you on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Willow doesnt have the wind problem Wasilla does. Its been below zero pretty regular instead.
    I'm still trying to figure out why I live in the arm pit of Alaska. What a he// hole.

I know what you mean, I loath the Palmer/Wasilla area. Unfortunately, its where the work is, and the wife doesnt have to commute very far, which was the deciding factor. I would commute if it meant living out of town.

7 more years till I retire and I'm moving out to either Willow or Talkeetna. As it is I'm moving to Seward in a few months for a yr or 2. Fam is staying in the Valley for the time being. Willlow just seems like a nice place all around, not too far from the stores in Wasilla or my property.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why I live in the arm pit of Alaska. What a he// hole.
    I've been thinking the same thing! It isn't even close to what it was when I moved here 20 years ago.... Back when all we had was one flashing yellow light.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Wasilla doesn't have a wind problem...... WE GOT LOTS OF WIND!!!!!!! Reminds me of the Aleutians.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default No wind in Willow!

No wind! Just cold!
    Trails are in great shape! Good for hauling!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

No wind means cold. -40 this morning. More of the same is forecast for tomorrow. We need warmer temps and some new snow. Both are supposed to arrive later in the week. Yay!

Default Cold

no#2 tipr rrties 006.jpgYep-42on one ther..about -37 on another,Camera, froze after this shot, was -25 Sat, when we left, She fired right up, Sat -37 a 4 stoke v-800 will not start,Took 2 hr,s ready heater get her going. The last night i was on the 4 hr, plan,Get up stoke the stove get dressed and start the machine,Couple spins around the cabin. That seem to work. Got back to landing Trucks wouldn,t start, IT WAS COLD OUT THERE>>

Willow is often a wind-free place. The last two weeks I have been driving the Parks Highway. It was gusting to 60 in Wasilla, a touch of breeze in Houston and windless in Willow. That's normal. Seems like the "wind line" is usually just north of Houston. Also normal is that with no wind in Willow it is cold. The day it was blowing 60 in Wasilla it was 6 degrees, and just past Willow it was -28. Wind = warm(er). No wind = cold = Willow = usually about 20 degrees colder than Anchorage.

Where abouts in Willow was it -40? I have a place in Caswell and it is generally 10 degrees colder than Willow proper so I'm just wondering so I can judge how my cabin did the last week. Thanks!