Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it fishing season yet?

Wink Is it fishing season yet?

All of these squabbles over fishing rights are getting boring. I am so ready to get back out picking fish, watching for risers, and fighting mosquitos! Who's with me?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Fish on...

Ah, the sentiments of one who is bored with the politics and just wants to wet a line.

Yeah, I'm getting ready to go, and am always thinking about assisting the multitude of others who will want to go.

Let's see now, I've got a hop to Anchorage, a flight to Kodiak, then a flip back to Anchorage, then a hop back to Kodiak, then the mail-plane to Afognak (in which Tony Davis of Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle will wear me out), then back to Kodiak, Anchorage, and a return home.

Add in two trips to Canada for research, writing, and digital imaging, and that just about does my summer.

It's time to plan angler, time to plan...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Yea, I'm ready. The first sign for me that fishing season is approaching is seeing that the Homer king derby is occurring. The second sign is when they're dipping hooligan out of Turnagain Arm. The third sign.....well....by the time third sign comes, I'm fishing!

You guys catch a flight out here and we'll cruise downriver to a nice spot. My wife pulled 60 pike week-before-last and 30 last week. They are currently drying above our porch.

Default Summer Fling

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post
    Ah, the sentiments of one who is bored with the politics and just wants to wet a line.

Yeah, I'm getting ready to go, and am always thinking about assisting the multitude of others who will want to go.

Let's see now, I've got a hop to Anchorage, a flight to Kodiak, then a flip back to Anchorage, then a hop back to Kodiak, then the mail-plane to Afognak (in which Tony Davis of Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle will wear me out), then back to Kodiak, Anchorage, and a return home.

Add in two trips to Canada for research, writing, and digital imaging, and that just about does my summer.

It's time to plan angler, time to plan...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com
    Hey B. If you have a couple of days left in you're summer for a float shoot me a note and I will bounce you down the Gulkana this year! I know your schedule is busy, but hey who does not want to cacth Bow's and grayling on a 4W all day! Blue Moose

Default Perk!

You are way too cool, Moose! And I thank you very much.

I have often thought that if I returned to the mainland, a trip with you would be fantastic and a great write. I have examined your site, your packages, and I consider what you have to offer at Blue Moose Rafting among the best deals for adventure any AK angler could ever wish.

I will decline (for now) but along the way and soon, I would be very pleased.

http:www.alaskanauthor.com

Default oh yeah

bring it on! ive been thinking about entering rehab myself. i caught myself buffing out my spoons chanting my name is paul and im a fishaholic i admit i am powerless over chasing salmon and my life has become unmanagable...

haha

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    bring it on! ive been thinking about entering rehab myself. i caught myself buffing out my spoons chanting my name is paul and im a fishaholic i admit i am powerless over chasing salmon and my life has become unmanagable...

haha
    LOL!!!

Cool thread. I've had the jones since about November. Planning my summer charters and playing coordinator/gatherer of enough friends to fill some boats keeps me busy over the winter.

I also just sent away for some of those electronic lures advertised on this site. Maybe I'm nuts, but I had to give them a shot, the idea is intriguing. The smaller ones I got need some modification, in my mind, and just playing with them, tweaking the setup of the flashers, took me to that place of a being a kid at christmas playing with all his new fishing gear.

Give my daughter another year and I'll get her out on the lakes over the winter, and won't have to settle for planning and playing with lures when it's cold out.

RE: the quote above - after about my eighth email to the guys going with me to Homer in March, one of them emailed back "You're an addict!" How right he is! I'm powerless over my obsession to fish! (and in my case, my WIFE gets unmanageable during fishing season)
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default New hobby

The other evening I was on the internet reading some of the fishing and boating newsgroups that I regularly read (including this one). My wife stopped and asked me if I needed a new hobby.

I gave her "the look". You know, like "you can't be serious". I didn't ask her if she meant a different hobby (like I'm going to give up fishing and boating) or if she meant an additional hobby (like I have time for another hobby?!).

I can stop any time I want. Hmmm, haven't checked the marine forecast yet today.........

Cool Unmanageable?

Well the way I see it since I can't cut a big enough hole in the ice to cast a Fly, I decided to do some damage control before the season hits this year. So instead of suffering alone at home, I have been suffering at the Theatres with the Wife. First time I have ever PLANNED an evening to go see a play. Hope it works cuz i spent till Christmas making up for last summer. Even with that I still can't keep myself from casting a fly at the "bows" in my new Flyfisherman Magazine. That sounds pretty bad don't it. Preed where did you say rehab was?

Last night I was trying my best to work my way through a huge stack of papers that I needed to grade (when will I learn my lesson and assign less work?). After a couple of hours of punishment, I went over to my wife in the kitchen. Instead of complaining about my lot in life and my 12-14 hour days, I just leaned over the counter and said: "Honey...will you do me a favor? On June 15th when I'm standing mid-thigh in rushing waters sight-casting to salmon...ask me if I like being a teacher."

Man, I love fishing season!

-Brian

I'm seriously considering going double ugly fishing (irish lord to you SC folks) Hey June 15 is my birthday!

I used to consider June 15th a state holiday - opening day on the Russian. Now they've moved it to the 11th, but the 15th still has that special place in my memories. My birthday is May 30th (Memorial Day...long weekend, beginning of King fishing in some rivers), so I've got a good one too.

-Brian

Default calculating the cost

Lord help me for I am out of control
    My addiction is begining to cost me. My co-workers think I am crazy, my friends don't understand, my children are too young, and my wife is ready to divorce me. I spend hours everyday reading through articles, stories, and old magazines. I plan and take fishing trips in my head all winter. I study maps and research run times and histories on rivers I will probably never get to fish. My wife not only doesn't understand she thinks I don't love her for four months every year. I don't think there is a rehab clinic that can help me.

Default Open water fishing: February! In southcentral

OK, I love hard water fishing. I would even do it in the summer if it were possible. In fact I sorta do when I go halibut fishing- you know, the jigging... pulling up something from the depths which remains a mystery until a few feet from the surface...
    All that said, I have been open water fishing in the last weeks, and pulling up
    a few nice dollies and lakers and even a sizable rainbow. This last cold spell has put a bit of a cramp on things, but I intend to be out there again when we we get a mild spell, tossing out spoons and bait. It helps fill the time until the very earliest halibut from the beach, and king season kicks in on the Ninilchik and Kasilof.

Default 24-7, 365

Always planning, plotting, and scheming for the next adventure.
    Let not a single day pass without at least thinking of fishing.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

you guys are halarious! every one of you sound just like me! from odering rocket fishing rods and lures at work (SHHH) the wife...hahahaha i cant stop thinking about a 50' cast!

we'll get through this together.......i cant stop laughing!

I was thinking that there should be a fishaholics anonymous. Then I Googled it. Found the following at the Fishaholics Anonymous web site:

Reasons to seek out help is for those anglers who are worried about their fishing. Please take this quick Ten Point Test to evaluate the seriousness of your illness.

1. Do you lie to your friends about fishing? Are you lying now?

2. Do you keep a rod and reel hidden in your vehicle?

3. Have you stopped to pick-up road kills for making lures?

4. Have you been told you have a fishing problem?

5. Have you hired a professional (like a guide?) to assist you with
    your problem?

6. Do you dream of fishing?

7. Do you own less than ten fishing rods? *

8. Do you feel guilty about your fishing?

9. Do you wake up at 4:00 a.m. just to go fishing?

10. Do you tie flies or make your own lures?

Default can't get enough

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'm seriously considering going double ugly fishing (irish lord to you SC folks) Hey June 15 is my birthday!
    When I'm down in Homer, usually for a couple or three days for charter or two, I spend my 'spare' time either fishing the lagoon or casting off the end of the spit. I catch yellowfin sole, sculpin, cod, and even pollock off the spit. One time I couldn't stop and caught maybe 25 sole. They taste pretty good and actually fight pretty good on a lighter setup. The pollock and cod are seriously wormy, though. I mean, if you're there, and the fish are there, why the heck not?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

[quote=skydiver;68267]I was thinking that there should be a fishaholics anonymous. Then I Googled it. Found the following at the Fishaholics Anonymous web site:

Reasons to seek out help is for those anglers who are worried about their fishing. Please take this quick Ten Point Test to evaluate the seriousness of your illness.

1. Do you lie to your friends about fishing? Are you lying now?

No just my family

2. Do you keep a rod and reel hidden in your vehicle?

At all times, in plain sight

3. Have you stopped to pick-up road kills for making lures?

Almost

4. Have you been told you have a fishing problem?

Yes

5. Have you hired a professional (like a guide?) to assist you with
    your problem?

Yes

6. Do you dream of fishing?

Yes

7. Do you own less than ten fishing rods? *

No

8. Do you feel guilty about your fishing?

Never

9. Do you wake up at 4:00 a.m. just to go fishing?

yes

10. Do you tie flies or make your own lures?

Absolutely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast