Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 M8 Sno Pro issues...already

Default 2011 M8 Sno Pro issues...already

Put 500 miles on the new sno pro this week...ran great, drove great, made yer hair stand up great.
    but...at about -20 the steering froze up so it was like turning cold tar...climb up higher to a higher temp and she loosened up to normal..
    took it to cat today in eagle river for a regrease and get the water out. they said might be spindles..i guess a couple other 2011 spindles have been shot already. greeaaattt. also my steering rod looks tweeked..makin' it harder to turn to the right.
    Dealer said with the adjustable risers fully extended very much tourqe will bend the steering rod...what?
    so it gets cold and gets hard to turn, but if you turn to hard you'll bend it?...yepper. something to think about when your talking to a salesman..."is this sled set up to bend if i drive it like you designed it?"
    i'll post the outcome with when get it straightened out..no pun intended...gonna see what the regrease does then go from there...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I dont think the riser increases leverage, at least, not that much. Sounds like an excuse for goofing the spindles.

i wouldn't have thought either...sounds like a load of hooey to me...gonna have me a chit chat with them when i pick it up on monday to head back out.
    one fox, one wolverine, one marten, five muskrats and two hares and one beaver...not a bad week...oh and half a squirrel much thanks to the new AR...hehe
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i wouldn't have thought either...sounds like a load of hooey to me...gonna have me a chit chat with them when i pick it up on monday to head back out.
    one fox, one wolverine, one marten, five muskrats and two hares and one beaver...not a bad week...oh and half a squirrel much thanks to the new AR...hehe
    BB throw the BS flag.....risers do not increase steering torque. My 2 cent.....they AGAIN failed to properly setup a sled!!!!!!!!!!! I use to do alot of business there and no longer recommend them for anything. I have alot of horror stories from the last year or so. I now do more of my business out your way and if it's parts and not on hand locally then I web order and usually get them quicker/cheaper, even with shipping.

When it comes to Cats you have any questions ask me. Between everyone in my family we have over 25 Arctic Cat Products and we all do our own work.....plus.

Default Could be worse

Heck, I didn't even have 100 miles on mine and the engine seized up. It's at the same dealer in pieces waiting for parts. First time I've ever bought a brand new toy and may be the last. I'm not at all happy about paying $11K and having the engine taken apart right at the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Heck, I didn't even have 100 miles on mine and the engine seized up. It's at the same dealer in pieces waiting for parts. First time I've ever bought a brand new toy and may be the last. I'm not at all happy about paying $11K and having the engine taken apart right at the get go.
    Not to point fingers or start a war, but it wouldn't be a 2010 Polaris would it?

No. Not to start a war either, but my 2001 Polaris RMK 800 has 5,500 miles on it and, without doing anything but changing spark plugs, I still have 153 psi in the right cylinder and 155 in the left. Exactly the same as I measured 4 years ago.

No. The sled whose engine seized is a 2011 Arctic Cat M8 Snopro that I bought less than 1 month ago and has less than 100 miles on it.

No. Not to start a war either, but my 2001 Polaris RMK 800 has 5,500 miles on it and, without doing anything but changing spark plugs, I still have 153 psi in the right cylinder and 155 in the left. Exactly the same as I measured 4 years ago.

No. The sled whose engine seized is a 2011 Arctic Cat M8 Snopro that I bought less than 1 month ago and has less than 100 miles on it.
    Well that caught me off guard.....I would be very intrested in hearing the out come on this one. The 800 motor has been around for awhile and has really been bullet proof. As am atter of fact the 800 H.O. has been pretty much flawless. A few folks back east are having fuel issues but I think that is because no one is buying premium fuel and they have to use a blended fuel of some sort or another.

Here is a link to a site for some cat info http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...-cat-m-series/

and here is another... http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/m-series-mtn/

These two sites will give you alot of info, buit just like any other site need to drag thru a couple of posts to get the info you are looking for.

I told you to get a summit! I know you had a bad experience with one but you may have gotten a lemon the xp's had their quirks at release but they seemed to have fixed most of the issues. I have my REV that I have had NO problems besides a deformed coolant bottle due to lack of heat shield but that was a easy fix.

The risers do increase torque....maybe not "steering" torque, but there is a LOT of added leverage when you pull on the bars to lean a turn. I have bent my steering shaft once and have broken the bar mount off completely once. My permanent fix was to drill out the top of the steering shaft (in between the 4 bar mounts) and drop the longest and largest diameter carriage bolt that would fit down in and weld it in place (I think it was about 1/2"x8"). This significantly strengthened the shaft right at the top shaft mount where it encounters the most pressure from torque on the bars.

Adding risers or extending the bars adds serious torque. Think about the added torque when you put a 12" cheater bar on a ratchet.... Basically if you mod the bars, be careful to not reef on the bars side to side too much...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Jake was referring to added torque from steering with frozen sprindles, not from leaning side to side. Also, the Snopro comes with adjustable risers, one would think Cat would have considered that when they designed them, people would use them. I like your fix though, I think I even have some 1/2" bar stock lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Well that caught me off guard.....I would be very intrested in hearing the out come on this one. The 800 motor has been around for awhile and has really been bullet proof. As am atter of fact the 800 H.O. has been pretty much flawless.
    I had heard much the same thing about AC's 800 motor. That was one of the primary reasons for going with the M8 when my wife said I could get a brand spankin new machine.

Here's what I've been told. The "cross shaft," which I understand drives the water pump, wasn't shimmed right at the factory and came out of alignment. That wrecked the cross shaft and the gear on the crank shaft which drives it. They are replacing the crank shaft, the cross shaft, and some other stuff. He says he has seen this happen twice before on AC 800s, both with very low miles like mine (under 100).

I've looked at the websites you provided before but didn't see anything that sounded like my problem. Lots of stuff on a bearing for the diamond drive but not the engine. Since mine is under warranty I'm trusting the dealer - for now - although I'm not terribly excited about that. I usually buy used and if something breaks I dive right in. I got tired of fixing things on my 01 RMK (age & abuse related) and was looking forward to simply riding this winter. He!!, I haven't even rolled this thing upside down yet!

I had heard much the same thing about AC's 800 motor. That was one of the primary reasons for going with the M8 when my wife said I could get a brand spankin new machine.

Here's what I've been told. The "cross shaft," which I understand drives the water pump, wasn't shimmed right at the factory and came out of alignment. That wrecked the cross shaft and the gear on the crank shaft which drives it. They are replacing the crank shaft, the cross shaft, and some other stuff. He says he has seen this happen twice before on AC 800s, both with very low miles like mine (under 100).

I've looked at the websites you provided before but didn't see anything that sounded like my problem. Lots of stuff on a bearing for the diamond drive but not the engine. Since mine is under warranty I'm trusting the dealer - for now - although I'm not terribly excited about that. I usually buy used and if something breaks I dive right in. I got tired of fixing things on my 01 RMK (age & abuse related) and was looking forward to simply riding this winter. He!!, I haven't even rolled this thing upside down yet!
    Yeah without it being shimmed correctly the gear walks and starts chewing things up.

I believe most of the Diamond Drive things have been sorted out. Especially since the electronic reverse. I have an '05 that's been running strong, plus 2 other D drives. I do change the oil half way thru the season and I do not use Cat oil..........I have been using 15w-40 marine/diesel oil since new.

Stay in touch.....I have alot of Cat ideas. Well almost....I am having an issue with a F sled that's twisting my brain. Stupid sled either runs slow or WFO, everything in between is garabage, even floods one cylinder.

well we greased the spindles till grease was all over the outside as well....
    at -20 or so, no change, still turns like cold tar, or worse. so the spindles will get changed this week when i get home. luckly its warmed up a bit so i haven't had to wrestle with it to much. haven't noticed a problem with the bent steering rod, so i'm sure thats pretty minor.
    i did however do 110 miles on about 8 gallons the other day, wasn't all just trail riding either. impressed with the gas consumption on this sled.
    Master guide 212

It looks like the steering post has a bend to it from the factory, seems to be swept towards the rear a little bit. That gas mileage is just about as good as my 4 stroke!

Hey did you look or hear about the recall?

What kind of grease? Most shops have no clue what to use so they just order the cheapest thing possible. Some of the cheaper grease gets so stiff that my backhoe can't even curl the bucket at -20F. I use Chevron RPM Arctic Grease in the winter if I am using the machine a bunch in super cold temps. My bulk grease barrel uses UltraPlex EP and it seems to work well down to 0F.

Have you lifted the front end off the ground at those temps to compare how stiff it is at those cold temps vs. moderate ones?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

my grease thats leaking out stays pretty soft in the cold. i haven't lifted it off the ground yetbut have turned it on ice with no snow in the cold...as i drop down into the river valleys you can feel it stiffen up...only takes a couple minutes, i don't have a thermometer but you can feel the temp drop like crazy as you get down in the low spots.
    I'm super happy with my gas consumption...and horsepower. was ditch bangin' a little on the way home today after pulling a wolverine outa a trap and that AC can cut a line on a steep slope like nothin' i've ever rode. was fun trying to go as slow as possible and keep it tracking straight on a steep side slope...good times. good snow.
    Master guide 212

BRWBR,
    Are they going to replace the spindles??? (I hope) If not let me know/see below.

I just had a Polaris in my shop that was suffering with the same problem. It took me forever to get the water out of the spindles. I had to flush out all the grease, I then heated them (in my wife's oven) to help what water was left to evaporate. Repacked them with grease and this morning I had no problems moving the bars.

Make sure if you power wash the sled not to hit the spindle area with the spray, if you do take in a warm shop and pump grease in there till you see no water droplets.

ya their gonna replace them.
    they heated them to get the water out, replaced the grease and still have the problem with steering in really cold temps.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast