Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun coating

Default gun coating

im just wondering what i can use that i can put over blueing that is more durable. something like what the new remingtons have on them? and where can i get it done at

Duracoat makes clear coatings in gloss and matte that work well over bluing or aluminum finishes. You just degrease and shoot it, but remember it is really hard to get off once cured.

Quote Originally Posted by jesseakhunter View Post
    im just wondering what i can use that i can put over blueing that is more durable. something like what the new remingtons have on them? and where can i get it done at
    Saturday I sent an AR-10 bolt carrier group to LOSOK for a nitride coating to be applied. The owner was courteous, sounded well informed, and I think the price was fairly reasonable. I'll have a better idea of what I got myself into in a few weeks when I get it back. The finishes that I think you are referring to on the Remington is the nitride finish. Below is the cut/paste of the contact information from the website. Good luck on your search, AJ

Phone: M-F 9am-7pm (EST) 740-363-8437
    LOSOK Custom Arms
    314 Willow Run Ln Delaware, OH 43015

Oh, one more thing...You can do duracoat yourself and it's not that costly. I coated a shotgun barrel just to see if I can do it. It was not perfect but it looked pretty darn good. Of course now that I coated it on one color, I wish I'd have chosen another color. Oh well, that was bound to happen.

AJ

One of the cheapest options to have it done is Black Ice Coatings, (a teflon coating that is supposed to add lubricity (they say no need for oiling as it will not rust??). It is reportedly fairly tough and hard to scratch off. From reading previous posts here, it seems the nitride of some sort or another is the best coating available, but at over 2X the price of the Black Ice. I have just sent a rifle out to have the Black Ice Coating done so I should be able to give a better opinion in a few weeks (turn around time is 3-4 weeks). The reason I choose this coating instead of the higher priced Nitride?
    1. Cheaper. Money is always tight and the rifle is already stainless. I just wanted to dull down any glare.
    2. Rifle is a 6 year old standard Ruger MK2. Nice, decent, accurate rifle, but I figured the Nitride coating would cost over half what I paid for the rifle new. Didn't want to end up with the same money as what I could have paid for a higher end rifle to begin with.
    3. Like most, I'm a working stiff so my rifle would be luckey to see 30 days in the field per year not counting range time.

Depending on what the results are will determine if I should have spent the extra money. I figure that it should be better than anything this ametuer could accomplish at home with a can of bake on paint and the wife's oven! Some more talented guys are getting good results with the Duracoat from looking at some of the posts.

i LIKE bLACK t IT IS DONE BY wALTER bIRDSONG COMPANY IT IS VERY IMPRESSIVE AND STANDS UP TO A HUGE AMOUNT OF ABUSE PRECISION ARMS 279-5755 CAN SEND IT OUT TO BE DONE MY NEW RIFLE JUST GOT BACK TODAY WITH IT. i HAD IT FOR 13 YEARS ON ANOTHER GUN AND LOVE IT.

I have two that were done by Black Ice Coatings. I think the work was great and the price well worth it. Both have been through the kodiak water locker and the Tanana River silt soakings. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    I have two that were done by Black Ice Coatings. I think the work was great and the price well worth it. Both have been through the kodiak water locker and the Tanana River silt soakings. No complaints.
    Very good to hear and makes me feel good about my choice! There is another forum member here from Palmer (can't recall his name?) who has also had a few rifles done by them and finish has held up well. I also like the dull black finish on a working gun, rifle or pistol. I figure with stainless underneath the finish to start with, if I ever get any small scratches or chips, I could easily touch them up myself and they would probably only be noticed on close inspection.

I have been very impressed with the rapid correspondence responses I have gotten from Lee who owns Black Ice Coatings! My rifle also has a nice older USA made Burris Fullfield 2, silver colored, that he is going to paint matte black to match the rifle. I can't wait to get it back so I can bed it into the pretty nutmeg laminent Ruger stock I purchased from another fine forum member here. When it is all finished, I should have a good All Alaska rifle that will stand up to about anything I can take for about a grand. The plus side is that the rifle already shot MOA or less with my handloads in the Ruger fiberglass stock and an upgraded Timney trigger!

Next project will be my lightly shot Win Mod 70 Classic 30'06 Stainless! This stuff is addicting!

Anyone have pictures of the before/after on these coating options?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I also used Lee on my wifes Mod 70 270wsm and got it back even quicker than Lee said. But sadly since getting it coated it has been a safe queen and range queen. Hopefully this year will be different now that my wife is just about finished with school and can go play again.

Just sent in another rifle and I am sure that one will get tested. Funny thing is it is another old Ruger 77 MKII in stainless. Must be a few of those running around.

kodiakrain I do not have any pictures but will take some tomorrow and post them up for you. Sorry they will just be after pics.

There is another forum member here from Palmer (can't recall his name?)
    That would be me. I have rifles, ARs, shotgun, handgun all done by Lee at Black Ice. I can't say enough about his work and product. I was hoping to have my newest AR back this week. When I talked a couple of weeks back he mentioned he gave my phone number to someone in either Wasilla or Eagle River who might want to look at them, but they never called. I'm always more than happy to show them if anyone is ever interested. Lee is also doing water transfer now. My newest AR I'm having him teflon all the internals and putting a winter camo pattern on the exterior, scope, the whole thing. I'll post pics when I get it back. His price as others have stated is very reasonable. I've been sending them down one at a time for a couple years now. The best part is you don't have to worry about cleaning your gun. Nothing sticks to teflon so you just wipe it off. You clean the borAttachment 44646e like always but that's it. Nothing like taking down an AR and dropping the BCG and wiping it off with a rag and a couple of q-tips and you're done. Attachment 44645
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Excellent Dura Coat thread, though no blued steel involved:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=dura+coat

Good luck.

Where is the link regarding posting pics? I searched but couldn't find it. When I uploaded them from my computer they worked fine. When I try to look at them from another computer there's nothing there. Thanks...
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default try again

Attached Images Attached Images
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Default more

Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Default more

Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Stanly,

Does carbon come off fairly easy now that the bolt /bolt carrier is coated?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast