Thread: Skilak

Default Skilak

Anyone been out on this lake with a snowmachine yet? I'd like to give it a try Sunday.

I'm heading out this morning to check it out. I'll let ya know!

There have been people riding and fishing the bottom side for a few weeks now, it should be good to go. I checked the upper side, ice was about 4" in the cove by the upper campground, not enough to venture out too far... but that was two weeks ago, should be thicker now. Skilak freezes from the bottom side up, so the outlet side should be pretty thick by now.

The outlet had about 4 groups out there saterday and sunday, i didn't see anyone at the inlet. Talked to a guy who said it was pretty well open at the inlet last week, was frozen up when i looked...dont know how thick, didn't venture out there. Hidden was 18-24" and making some wicked sounds when trucks would drive on it!

Anyone been out on Skilak lately? I'm thinkn about heading to the outlet.... I heard someone dropped a snowmachine thru the ice last weekend...

I think that was on tustumena. While i was at the folks house it was reported that a snowmachiner had gone through the ice.

the sled went thru the open water at mouth of skilak friend saw a dive crew pull it out last saturday dont know what the guy was doing but sled was in open water might have been water skipping

interesting... sounds like YouToube material...

how's the snow on the ice right now? can you drive a liquid cooled machine out there to the mouth?

The snow is mostly blown off.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

A sled went through upper tustumena lake too. The guy it happened to got my number through the grapevine and called me and told me about it, fortunately they found and hung out at my cabin and dried out until the rescue came.