Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of our own is ill

Default One of our own is ill

Those of us who have been around a while in this State, and know our history of bow hunting, or have every been stranded on the Sag probably know AK Nimrod. Pat has a long history with the Alaska State Bowhunters organization, has been a bow instructor, and has certified many of us. If you have ever needed help on the Sag, Pat is the guy with the 14 foot aluminum inboard jet boat with the big Cabela's decal on the side. I think Pat and his son Rob helped about a dozen folks this year that had broke down and/or in need of help. While hunting the Sag this year Pat started to have some shortness of breath and odd chest pains. After his trip he ended up missing some work and eventually ended up in the hospital where he has had almost 2 liters of fluid drained from around his heart, TWICE!. We have found out that his diagnosis is far worse than anyone expected and he is on his way to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for further testing and treatment. His family and friends have set up a web site to keep everyone up to date and for us to wish him well. You can read up on him at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/patrickmccabe/
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Any chance of one of the Mods making this a sticky?

Thoughts for Patrick and His Family from all here.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

He is a great person always willing to answer and of my questions about the hall road my prayer go out to him and his family

I want to encourage everyone to go to the web link and sign the Guest Book! Rob and Pat have plane tickets, and they have found an apartment near the Mayo Clinic. God speed good friend!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

i know he will pull through he still needs to give me pointers on my boat mods and the sag, also great to see all the posts on caringbridge

Default Horrible news...

Horrible to hear this news. All I can do is hope for the best for him and his family.

Bummed,

Taylor

I have been monitoring the Caring Bridge web site closely. The Cancer has spread from the heart to the lungs. Pat was given a choice of chemo or radiation, neither will cure him. He has chosen a quality of life over either. Had the ventilating tube pulled so he could eat and talk, had his family get him a pizza, and has an Intern looking for a beer for him! Go Pat Go!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. I lost my eldest son to cancer May15th last year. He was only 23. I know what they're going through. My heart goes out to them.

Terry

What a strong family he has. He is blessed, as are they. Besides a miracle, it seems the only thing he is currently lacking is a dog by his bedside. We'll keep praying for the first, and maybe the Clinic can find the second. It is amazing how a dog can change a person, even if only for a moment.
    Enjoy your pizza, beer and family Nimrod. They are all good things in a man's life.
    ARR

The world need more men and familys like this one God bless Chris

Night before last Pat and Rob came home on a Leer Jet Air Ambulance as Alaska is his home. The rest of the family came back on commercial flights from the Mayo clinic in Minnesota and everyone made it within 15 minutes of each other. The ambulance crew from the airport was still in the drive when the family got there...Karma can be a really good thing. Pat is set up in his trophy room, lots of sunshine, surrounded by his memories of the field and one fantastic family. May we all be so blessed when that time comes!

I'll raise a glass tonight and hope for Pat's final journey be along a well marked and obstacle free trail that leads him to the Happiest of Hunting Grounds.

Life is too short...Too precious.

Safe journey Pat.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Pat after a hard day on the Sag :-) I hope I did this image right and it comes up.

I got it!

We have lost a brother as Pat has passed. My condolences go out to his family. Rest in Peace Pat.

so sorry to hear this, even though i never had the honor of meeting him in person, just through these forums i know he was a great man and was so helpful to me and so many other people, i know the slope will be a lesser place without him there this year and he will be on my mind on the sag this fall. good by pat i wish you a safe journey and happy hunting up there.

To Pats family my condolences, Pat may your journey be filled with wild jet boating and huge caribou bulls rest in peace brother

Pat must have had a happy life, as giving and serving others brings to everyone Happiness.
    He loved life and he loved his fellow man.
    Alaska will miss this icon of the Sag..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Very sorry indeed to hear of this. I have the highest respect for the bowhunters I know. It says something about a person, that they would voluntarily limit themselves to archery gear in the pursuit of game. The archers I know are a breed apart and the world is the poorer for it when they are gone.

I know that his spirit will live on in the lives of those he knew. It is always this way, but it is still a great loss.

I pray for those close to him, and I hope they can find peace and comfort in knowing that Pat truly made a difference.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Godspeed Pat, hopefully you will have a great spot to watch over the Sag for us from up there.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast