Thread: NOAA Weather Radio

Default NOAA Weather Radio

I'm starting to plan moose hunting trip for this fall. I was wondering about weather radios. I've used them on many wilderness canoe trips. It is nice to know what weather is coming in the next few days.

Do folks in Alaska use the weather radios? I just bring a Motorola walkie talkie. Nearly all of them have weather radio reception too...

I can get NOAA weather around the Kenai peninsula, Seward, Kenai, Homer, etc. Not sure about in the interior areas. You might check the NOAA website and see if they have a coverage map, maybe call the coast gaurd and ask them?

Wow. Alaska really is rugged. I assumed most of the state would have weather radio coverage. Instead, just a few major cities have coverage. I guess it doesn't do much good to carry a radio if there are no signals to receive.

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/alaska-nc.php

Rent a satellite phone well worth the money if you need it. I hunt up by Kotzebue every year and coverage is very spotty at best and only if you hike to the top of the mtns.

The ruggednes of this state is probably why there is so little coverage, also low densities of people. Our multimillion dollar radio system at work has trouble covering just the western half of the Kenai Peninsula!

Default weather radio, or call'm up

I've had decent luck on my walkie talkie's weather radio button, but also don't forget: if you have cell access or a sat phone, you can call and get Statewide forecasts from NOAA's automated system at 907-266-5145.