Thread: Spot lighting for coyote, lynx and ordered a new Foxpro

Default Spot lighting for coyote, lynx and ordered a new Foxpro

So I was looking through the trapping regs and if I am reading it right you are allowed to use a spotlight to take furbearers. My question is has anyone ever tried this and is it legal as I read it and does it spook the animals.
    I placed an order for a new foxpro firestorm and I am looking forward to trying it out, If anyone has any feedback on the foxpro I would appreciate that as well. I have been trying to get something to come in but so far nothing this season, I hope that changes when I get home from work next week.

PM Sent........
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I it was my interpretation that it was illegal to use any kind of light except to track wounded game. If anybody has more knowledge on the subject i could use a little clarification as well.

There has been quite a bit of talk about this in other threads in the predator forum. Searching through those or reading both the hunting and trapping regs will answer your question.

I have read both the reg books and to me it looks like as long as you have a trapping license it is perfectly legal to use a spotlight to hunt furbearers at night if this is the case it will really extend my day in the field

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have read both the reg books and to me it looks like as long as you have a trapping license it is perfectly legal to use a spotlight to hunt furbearers at night if this is the case it will really extend my day in the field
    It does look like it is legal, but only between November 1 and March 31 in units 7 and 9-26 (as long as the season is open for the furbearer in question). Outside of that, use of artificial light is illegal.

You mean with something like this. It's a legal method of trapping. Although I have not got to shoot one in the dark yet.

WOW!!! now thats a sexy looking piece of equipment you got there trapper. I would think that you are not hauling a car battery around with you on your calling stands so what are you using for a power source

Its a lightforce setup and uses a motorcycle battery, comes with a rheostatso you can dim to a real low light. Filters too so you could use red and supposedly they can't see it. The guy I bought it from said to point it into the sky and scan for eyes then drop down on the predator and fire away. I believe you could shoot over 200 yards in the black of night as light is adjustable to center of cross hairs. I have had it a long time but have not shot anything in the dark. Be warned if law enforcement stops you with it at night be clear you are trapping not hunting. They are two different activities and not all law enforcement people are clear on the difference.

as trapperbob stated make it clear you are trapping, not hunting....that is why i buy all my licenses separately...so i can say this is my trapping license this is what i am doing..its just a couple extra bucks...but saves a really bad headache in some situations
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

tprbob, how did you set up that bi pod? It appears to be mounted to the gas block is that correct? If so does that block have a rail on the bottom that the bi-pod is connected to? Anyway I am curious what parts you used and where you got them from. I currently use a stoney point quck release bi-pod which is pretty slick but requires changes to the front sling mount that don't make me very excited.

It mounts to the sling post with a steel pin in a block that screws into a larger block with a sling swivel that you can see in the picture.

Primos also makes lights just for this. I may get one.
    https://shop.primos.com/c-117-varmin...ng-lights.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    That is correct. A lot of foxes have met their end out here in AH with a .17HMR and spotlight.
    Now what ?

in the same context, What about night vision?

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    in the same context, What about night vision?
    Electronically enhanced night vision scopes would be a no-go. Here is a quote from the trapping regulations. Artificial light is okay in some cases, elecontronically enhanced night vision sopes are not.

YOU MAY NOT: ... "take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light (other than sunlight or moonlight), electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communications, cellular or satellite telephones, artificial salt lick, explosives, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over 9 inches. Exceptions: Killer-style trap with a jaw spread of less than 13 inches may be used and artificial light may be used for the purpose of taking furbearers Nov. 1- Mar. 31 in Units 7 and 9-26 during an open season;"

This was from page 13 of the trapping regs, found here: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...s/trapping.pdf

Scopes are a no-go, but NV Goggles or other types of NV (non-scope) type gear would be legal under the regs. It'd be tough to pull off the NV gear and try to find a critter in the scope though, unless you light them up and then take your shot. I'm not jumping to spend a few thou$and dollars though on Gen 3 or 4 NV gear anytime soon though.