Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber replacement tent poles.

Default Carbon fiber replacement tent poles.

Got a Bibler I tent last year for a lightweight mountain tent. Love the tent, but the poles that came with it just don't hold up. While searching for options I came across a website that will make poles for a variety of different tents. I ordered a set to replace the original aluminum ones. The factory ones weight 15 OZs and the replacement CF ones weigh 7 OZs. Nice way to drop 1/2 lb, especially when I needed new ones anyway.

http://www.fibraplex.com/Default.htm

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a set for the Nallo 4GT and the Nallo 2GT. They work great. The weight savings is nice too. Hilly's are designed to use double poles if you need to so having an extra set of poles is nice.

Cool man. Would love to hear how you feel about them after using a time or two. Looks like a pretty cool replacement option.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've been researching for tents and replacment poles and came across this site. Amazing Strength. Wouldn't expect anything else from Easton. http://www.eastonpoles.com/views/tent/carbon-tactix.php

Thanks for the link Steve! That looks like the bomb.

2 questions...

1. How do you buy those easton carbon fiber poles?
    2. Are there any tents that come with cf poles besides msr's carbon reflex series?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    2 questions...

1. How do you buy those easton carbon fiber poles?
    2. Are there any tents that come with cf poles besides msr's carbon reflex series?
    The best I can tell on the Easton's is you have to build what you want from components they sell, I downloaded their catalog and that is what it looks like to me.

On the link I posted you can custom order or order by tent model. I recieved mine and they appear well made.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The best I can tell on the Easton's is you have to build what you want from components they sell, I downloaded their catalog and that is what it looks like to me.

On the link I posted you can custom order or order by tent model. I recieved mine and they appear well made.
    I wonder if the site you ordered yours from get their supplies from easton...

If i decide to keep my black diamond skylight i might just order those . thanks for the tip on the site.

I sent Easton an email a few days ago asking the question of if they custom make poles and is so the cost. Will post if I get a reply.

Just got my response from Easton.

Hi Mark,

We work with Tentpole Technologies and they provide all the Easton replacement poles as well as poles for other needs you may have. Their information is:
    Tentpole Technologies
    Vancouver, Washington
    Phone: 360 260 9527
    Fax: 360 260 9937
    E-mail: info@polesforyou.com

Easton Tubing Tech Support
    800-800-6686

"Tubing Tech Support" ...... Man is that title screaming for a oneliner....

According to their website they dont do carbon fiber poles. Unless I'm mistaken..

Got a Bibler I tent last year for a lightweight mountain tent. Love the tent, but the poles that came with it just don't hold up. While searching for options I came across a website that will make poles for a variety of different tents. I ordered a set to replace the original aluminum ones. The factory ones weight 15 OZs and the replacement CF ones weigh 7 OZs. Nice way to drop 1/2 lb, especially when I needed new ones anyway.

http://www.fibraplex.com/Default.htm

Steve
    Sweet setup.
    What did the poles run you, Steve? No one has mentioned price that I'm aware of.

Also, one of my gripes is the excessive length that factory manufacturers make poles--Bibler/Black Diamond included. I like smaller sections for less length in the pack. Can they custom make poles a bit smaller with an extra section to shorten the length of the tent pack?
    Proud to be an American!

Hey Steve, I have a bibler Torre with the Fibraplex poles. They are pretty sweet and in your case a very smart move! I bought my tent second hand, but it had only been used once and he had already ordered the poles. When they came in he delivered the box to me so I have like new aluminum backup poles as well!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Worth it?

For those of you that have them and have used these poles along with the stock poles that came with your tents... Do you feel it was worth the money? I am looking at spending over half of the tents original value for a set of poles...and while I believe in buying the right equipment to get the job done I am kind of balking at this. I have a North Face VE25 and the poles are $285.00.

Are they worth the gold they are asking for?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    For those of you that have them and have used these poles along with the stock poles that came with your tents... Do you feel it was worth the money? I am looking at spending over half of the tents original value for a set of poles...and while I believe in buying the right equipment to get the job done I am kind of balking at this. I have a North Face VE25 and the poles are $285.00.

Depends on how far you have to carry that extra weight, and for me I had to replace my poles anyway. So for me yes they were.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post

Thanks for the cost info. Is that two poles or three?
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Thanks for the cost info. Is that two poles or three?
    4 Poles....

AKArcher

Depends on how far you have to carry that extra weight, and for me I had to replace my poles anyway. So for me yes they were.

Steve
    I am replacing aluminum poles...so I am saving some weight but not nearly as much as I would be if they were fiberglass. I have to replace these ones as well.

AKArcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast