Thread: Getting rid of loaded rounds

Default Getting rid of loaded rounds

What do you guys do to with your unwanted loaded rounds?... I have some rounds that I have messed up in the past, when I was adjusting my dies, they are crunch down at the necking area, and I didn't think it would be safe to throw away. I also have some 30-06 rounds that someone loaded for me and they don't chamber for some reason and I'm not going to force it, and I want to throw them out or get rid of them. Just curious? I guess I could hang on to them. label them or something so they don't get used.

I used to reload quite a bit in NM. When I found a round with a bulge ect I immediately used my bullet puller and hammered the round apart. The powder went into a jar with water in it, the bullet went into the trash, the case went into the gun to fired the primer (IF POSSIBLE) then trashed. If I could not fire the primer it went into the powder/water. I was told by the guy that taught me to never have a blem/damaged round sitting around. They are hard on guns, they cost lost hunting experiences. They have feet and will end up ruining your day. I had a 22-250 get stuck in my 788. I broke the handle getting it out.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Go down and Grab a Bullet Puller, if you don't have one, the hammer-type Kinetic pullers are inexpensive, easy for just a few rounds, then
    Knock the bullets out, you should be able to reuse those, if you know what they are
    probably have to toss the powder unless you have accurate records as to what powder is in there,
    then toss the brass that is messed up.
    Keep and reuse the good stuff after finding out why they don't chamber, Trim and FL resize them(?) should work fine

I guess you could soak the primers but I wouldn't worry about those, just pitch the marred stuff, reuse the bullets,
    On the good Brass, they say you shouldn't decap unfired primers, but I have done it a few times
    (just get Glasses on, Ear muffs, a Flak Jacket, and might use Welding gloves when doing so )
    or go slow.....

Get rid of wierd rounds for sure, too easy to get them mixed up somehow with good stuff
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I've never pulled bullets apart before, but I guess I could try it, seems like its the thing to do....thanks

Another method is to use your press and a set of pliers to pull the bullets. Run the round up in the press without a die, put a large washer around the bullet to protect the top of your press, grab the bullet with pliers and lower the ram. The bullet will come right out. Dump the powder on your lawn, it's a good nitrogen fertilizer. Then you can SLOWLY deprime on your press while wearing proper safety stuff or if it will chamber, you can fire it. Water will only deactivate powder and primers as long as they stay wet and don't dry out. Oil is supposed to be better but I haven't tried it.

oh them hammeres are the ticket bang em right out and start over
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ