Thread: freighter or 18' lund??

Default freighter or 18' lund??

A friend is looking for a boat, I told him he should but a HB freighter like mine.He is considering the HB and a 18'lund as he can get a new 18' lund SSV tiller with a 40hp for close to the cost of a new HB with a 20hp honda. he would use it more for fishing with the occasional hunting trip.Not sure which would be better in rough conditions.the lund would probably be the better fishing platform.Anyone have both or ever compared these 2 kinds of boats.At the very least its a good winter topic as it' s -40 here topic

thanks

I believe canoes always sell better used than the lund type boats.JMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've got a 1993 18' Lund, the model with a floorboard, no thwart seats, and rod lockers down either side. It's got a 1996 40-horse 2-stroke hanging off the back. I can't imagine letting it go, no matter what else I had in the yard including a freighter with a 20. It's comparatively light, yet seaworthy for any ocean state I want to be on (as in, I'm not a rough water fisherman). If he's mixing any ocean in, I'd sure go with the Lund. If he's never going to see the ocean, the HB would open doors closed to the Lund. I see you're in Whitehorse, so that may answer the question right there. I gotta say though, it's sure nice to stand up and walk end to end or side to side in that Lund.

I have both and use both in Whitehorse area mostly.....I'm getting older and my partners are big, clumsy guys so I use the Lund for fishing almost exclusively. For travel and exploring the rivers and lakes there, I prefer the canoe for its efficiency at today's fuel prices.

The SSV-18 with 40HP is a bit light on power for really heavy loads and long distance.

If I were younger and didn't have couples and geezers with me at times, I would not have the Lund.....HB only and with 20HP.

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    A friend is looking for a boat, I told him he should but a HB freighter like mine.He is considering the HB and a 18'lund as he can get a new 18' lund SSV tiller with a 40hp for close to the cost of a new HB with a 20hp honda. he would use it more for fishing with the occasional hunting trip.Not sure which would be better in rough conditions.the lund would probably be the better fishing platform.Anyone have both or ever compared these 2 kinds of boats.At the very least its a good winter topic as it' s -40 here topic

thanks
    Let the decision be his. Some of us guys who run canoes do it because we have a deep ingrained passion for the feel of a canoe, how it handles, the places we go, and acceptant of their limitations. Look at Ted (YukonerTed), he's been running the same freighter for over 20 seasons. With all the new stuff available, some of us have a hard time feeling at home in it. Folks who run canoes usually stay devoted to that lifestyle, others don't. Like Vern stated that if he didn't have to cater to friends and their needs, he'd still be running the same type of boat. There are very few of us who reap the benefits of going slow, good fuel economy, and big load capacity. We have our work cut out for us when the going gets rough, and sometimes have to do things the old-school way (lining). If you were to give me a flat bottom boat or a Lund, I would probably feel no intimate connection to the craft.......and yearning for the square stern canoe again. Your friend might very well end up in the the "same boat" as you or I. If not.......he'll join the masses.

I think you are right Mainer!......canoes are in our blood. I grew up near Canoe Country of MN and used canoes for everything: fishing, traveling back country, duck hunting, moose hunting and wild rice harvesting. That said, I consider Mn and Ontario to be better if not different canoe country....mostly interconnected lakes and slower rivers with Alaska having faster and shallower rivers.

In AK, canoes are often leel-less and have a lot of rocker for river handling while MN canoes are often more of the tripper canoe with keels that are relatively straight.

For my fishing partners, the mention of "canoe" panics them. They are big SD farmers that didn't grow up around boats of any kind thus their fear of canoes. But they provide me with great pheasant hunting every fall so I guess I'll keep the Lund around to make them comfortable. I just wish I could break them of this lust for pike.....snot rockets.....yuck!

Grit lives in some of the finest canoe and freight canoe country in North America. Probably why the Teslin folks made freight canoes huh?

Default steady canoe

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I gotta say though, it's sure nice to stand up and walk end to end or side to side in that Lund.
    You can walk side to side, right up to the side in the HB canoe; granted, it is a shorter walk.... Other than that, Mainer said it all, just right.

each boat are outstanding units, the lund will cost more to operate than the HB, an the cost of fuel is a lot more now, an will go up more, the canoe is not as fast as lund,
    that is what you are looking at it is your call
    my 2 cts SID

Well, the HB will definately out pack the Lund load wise. 2 guys, 2 moose and gear in the HB is not a problem if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Plus, its an HB, which definately has the cool factor.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    There's no arguing with that!!!! A Lund is just a boat, but an HB is a canoe. I love em, but they don't fit my life or location.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Well, the HB will definately out pack the Lund load wise. 2 guys, 2 moose and gear in the HB is not a problem if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Three guys, a spare motor, fuel, a 10 ft Zodiac for using back in the sloughs off the river, all our gear for a week, and two moose, left my 22 footer with around 13-15" of freeboard. It had an awful lot of inertia, though, and the 30 HP was good to have on the transom when decisions had to be made in a hurry!

Ted

Default What's that lund looking like with the same load?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner Ted View Post
    left my 22 footer with around 13-15" of freeboard.
    Great example of a load that Scott can do. (+1). Now lets hear from a lund guy saying how his boat would fare with this same load.

(Sung to the "Bob the Builder" song) Can he do it?

That's quite a load.I do believe Ted's canoe is bigger than our HB's though.I've had 2 guys and a lot of gear and a moose in my HB, with no problem.We have not been lucky enough yet to try and see if she will hold 2 bulls, maybe next year.He has decided to get a HB like mine, he already owns a yamaha 30hp 4 stroke and doesn't want to buy another motor,will the HB handle that large and weight of an engine? Most I have seen use a 15hp-20hp, mine moves well with the honda 20hp

thanks

IMO, the 30HP is a bit heavy and too much power although I haven't tried a 30.

I think Alaska Freight Canoes recommend a 15 to 20 HP max on their 20' freighter.

Quote Originally Posted by canoefan View Post
    I think Alaska Freight Canoes recommend a 15 to 20 HP max on their 20' freighter.
    yes, that's a good size motor to use. It defeats the purpose (fuel economy) to overpower a canoe. I 30 horse may work, but there are other more economical motors with plenty of power like the 20 horsepower tohatsu, the 18 hp mud buddy mini, and the 20 horsepower hondas.

On a 21 ft. hudson bay, if you tool around whittier fishing and hunting black bear, a smaller motor will work too, because of little weight, and no river current to go against. If I were to tool around the protected waters, a 9.9 horsepower motor would work just fine. If dipnetting the lower kenai from a hudson bay, a 9 hp. would work for that too. Guys back home in Maine usually tool around larger lakes and rivers, and it's quite common to see a 9 hp (on all the larger canoes) on grand lake, moosehead lake, or one of the larger/slower rivers.