Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once you get into big fish

Default Once you get into big fish

Do you have a hard time fishing in a lake where most if not all of the fish you will catch are smaller. Say 12-16 inchers verses 24 inchers and up?

I don't. But then most of where I go fishing is based on access. Some times it is fun to get into those schools of little fish.

I would prefer to catch 1 fish over 15 pounds than a hundred 5 pounders. I get outfished on my boat all the time by family and friends. They want to catch a fish, any fish. I want to catch a fatty so I gear up for it. My ego can handle getting outfished, at least for now.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Akdube, Are you saying you got into some big fish?
    For me, fishing is half about what might come up the hole next. I'm trying to get out and fish some remote lakes this year where I hope there will be some larger fish. If there are, I could see how fishing local lakes for fingerlings might not be as fun as pulling up a fish that takes 20 minutes to see what it is
    I fish mostly for the fun of the little people and they don't seem to care how big the fish are as long as there are some fish there.
    Fun question and that would be a nice problem to have. What do you think Akdube.

I do have this problem. I have caught and seen big fish caught, and thats what I want to catch. Its like a drug and I need my fix. I could go to Jewel Lake and probably catch a bunch, but I agree with dirt, I would rathe catch one monster than a ton of little ones.

All fishing is fun.... but when a 13 pound char hits your crock and turns your rod into an "L" nearly pulling you to your knees.... Brother, that's a feeling you got to have again!

It's like hooking a king. Nothing like it. I hate when your rigged up light for those little guys and a big dog grabs it. Hard to land them with those little noodle rods and 2 pound test. Oh well, so it goes. It all beats work doesn't it.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

What I don't want to happen is to get a large fish on and have it swim away like it doesn't even know it is hooked, spool my line, break my pole and just keep going. This happened to a friend of mine. Like tying your line to the bumper of a truck that slowly drives away. Nothing you can do but watch and learn from it.

I was once told to look at the size of fishing poles in boats etc..... It will tell you who to watch. If you see little trout rods in a boat at Lake Louise, Paxton etc...... they aren't geared for the bigger fish. If you see salmon poles and 6 inch spoons, you might want to chat with them. If they are not as tight lipped as the fish.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    All fishing is fun.... but when a 13 pound char hits your crock and turns your rod into an "L" nearly pulling you to your knees.... Brother, that's a feeling you got to have again!
    You mean like this?

Still lookin' fer the big one.

I used to be all about just getting out and still am to some extent but when you pull a 24" rainbow outta the hole(like last weekend) and your buddy says holy crap and Im saying "Is that it" made me start thinkin bout the size of the fish I am catching. Dont get me wrong that is a nice rainbow and was happy to catch one that large(also got them 22 21 18 and a couple 16) but I knew that was about it for size in that particular lake and was some what discouraged. I guess when you get a few over 20lbs and over 14lbs regularly its hard to step back to reality. Hey faith if you got a plane you got the way to get into some lakes that dont get fished much. I flew to clarence lake a few years ago and we caught some hogs outta there like taking candy from a baby. Also a few more I know of but Ill have to show you where those are...lol

What did he go drifter 16 18 lbs maybe. nice fish awful light colored for a laker imo. They all like that down that way?

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    What did he go drifter 16 18 lbs maybe. nice fish awful light colored for a laker imo. They all like that down that way?
    Rumor has it that there are some down your way. They are shorter and fatter.

I didn't start that rumor..... I just passed it along.

We have pretty fishes!
    Bill Hicks

Unless Terry is 6'4" and 300 pounds, that fish is 13.5-15 lbs.......closer to the bottom. You have a length on him Dave?
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Rumor has it that there are some down your way. They are shorter and fatter.

I didn't start that rumor..... I just passed it along.

We have pretty fishes!
    If there that size there more apts to be bait for the ones I seen last time out. Tried a totally new spot and all i got to say is Im gonna get that 30lber this year.

I bet you a dollar hes over 15...Ill split it with you dave...

Wanna play "how big is this fish game?"
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    I bet you a dollar hes over 15...Ill split it with you dave...
    Not enough girth.
    Bill Hicks

hes 30 inchs i think hes at least 15...although I havent seen many lakers...lol and I could be wrong just ask my wife..

Weight/Length?
    Bill Hicks

ill say 14-16 he is girthy though..

15.6# 34" Got 2 that day matched pair, thought I got the same fish.
    Bill Hicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast