Thread: Winchester Model 70 Stealth ?

Default Winchester Model 70 Stealth ?

My neighbor asked me to take a ride to Sportsmans this morning. They have a nice Winchester Model 70 Stealth for sale at a reduced price, $320.00 less than published MSRP. First impressions are very good but I know nothing about the new MOA trigger system. Pull was a bit heavy for my taste, anyone have knowledge of the new trigger? There doesn't appear to be any after market replacements at this time.

Fit and finish of the stock, pad, Pre 64' CRF bolt, barrel, etc. was very nice. The rifle is chambered in .308Win and has a heavy contour 26" barrrel. His intentions are target shooting and lower 48 hunting opportunities. It's a bit heavy for a long pack but a nice compromise for hunting and target shooting.

He may go ahead and buy it today. I asked him to think it over and look at a few other possibilities. Personally I feel at the reduced price it's a very nice rifle. This will be his first rifle purchase if he goes with it. Just last year he had never fired a weapon, now he has two hand guns.

Last night my wife and I cooked a deer steak and beer battered Halibut for him and his wife. This morning he bought a hunting license and filled out paper work for the Elk draw.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535120

I have a couple new Winchesters with the MOA triggers. While not quite as nice as a Timney, I find them easy to adjust and they break clean. Clean off the sealer and adjust to your taste and reseal.

Adjusted to just over 3lbs.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks, he may pull the trigger tonight, no pun intended...

Default pull weight?

Steve,
    Just wondering if you measured the pull before adjusting. Curious as to what the factory was setting these new ones up at.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    Steve,
    Just wondering if you measured the pull before adjusting. Curious as to what the factory was setting these new ones up at.
    My wifes is still factory set and pulls at 4lbs.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default New Mdl 70 has cast receiver?

From the pictures of the trigger and receiver it would appear that the new receivers are cheap castings instead of the serious forgings Winchester started with way back in '36.

Has Winchester / FN now producing a cheapen rifle that only looks like the old ones?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

"Imatation is the sincerest form of flattery", Ruger's made it's fortune off firearms with cast receivers. And most of Rugers firearms are both functional and accurate enough for hunting purposes.
    I expect that there shouldn't be much difference with the Winchester line. Don't like the new ones? Pony up $1000-2000 and carry an original.
    While more pleasant to look, at a receiver machined in 36' isn't relagated to being stronger than a modern forged casting. As metals and machining have progressed in the last 70+ years so have the cartridge lengths and powders. The weak link in any firearm is the brass casing, this little thin brass gasket is our current check valve and pressure limiting tool.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I collect model 70s and have over 30 from all periods of production. I personally don't think the world stopped in 1964. The current batch of fn produced model 70 are the best shooting of the lott. My 308 stealth shoots .34 Inch groups at 100 yards with military surplus m118lr.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I collect model 70s and have over 30 from all periods of production. I personally don't think the world stopped in 1964. The current batch of fn produced model 70 are the best shooting of the lott. My 308 stealth shoots .34 Inch groups at 100 yards with military surplus m118lr.
    Nice to know. He bought it and it's in my shop waiting my return. I will glass bed it and adjust the trigger per the instructions in the owners manual. Badger base and rings are on the way. He's going with a VX3 of some type, magnification choice still pending. Should be a nice package and a very nice first all purpose rifle.

Ruger was the price leader in the catagory - cast receivers weren't copied because they were better - just cheaper to produce. Ruger made a well designed rifle that looked nice and shot well. Indeed Ruger brought back the look and feel of the pre-64 Mdl 70s with the external claw extractor and classic walnut stock. As you note - "Imatation is the sincerest form of flattery"! Ruger sure didn't copy the Remington Mdl 700 when they designed their Model 77!

The reality is that most shooters don't know nor care about the finer points of the operation of a rifle. If the bolt travel is little rough or sloppy and the timing of the camming is a bit off when the bolt is opened and the gun cocked it just doesn't matter to the average shooter or hunter. In fact - accuracy really doesn't matter that much either - most shooters can't come close to achieving the accuracy of today's guns or ammunition.

What does matter to most is name recognition, price, and apprearance. The military look is in now so parkerized guns with plastic stocks are a big item now. Remington recognized these points with their 770 line and the Winchester name is still a valuable commodity.

For the rest of us that appreciate the finer points of firearms there is still a good stock of used pre-64 Winchester, early commerical Mdl 98s, Remington Mdl 30s, and selected military rifles to choose from. Many of these guns can be had for about the price of a new Ruger.
    Most pre-64 Mdl 70s go for less than $1000 esp. if you are looking for a shooter rather than collector gun and don't mind an added recoil pad etc. If you are really looking for value consider that you pre-64 Mdl 70 will most likely never go down in value while your new Ruger 77 is going to be worth less than you paid for it immediately after you buy it.

In reality all guns have significantly declined in fit and finish i.e. hand workmanship over the years. To match that decline the metal materials have generally improved and the precision of manufacturing is significantly better. The forged and machined hammers and triggers on S&W revolvers have given way to powered metal technology but the new revolvers do shoot more accurately than my five screw guns. I've got one of the very first Mdl 77s - SN 13X - and it is much nicer than the current crop but probably does not shoot as well. I've got one of the last 1963 Mdl 70s and well as one of the first 1936 guns but I'll bet the newer one will outshoot the earlier one (I haven't shot the later one yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    "Imatation is the sincerest form of flattery", Ruger's made it's fortune off firearms with cast receivers. And most of Rugers firearms are both functional and accurate enough for hunting purposes.
    I expect that there shouldn't be much difference with the Winchester line. Don't like the new ones? Pony up $1000-2000 and carry an original.
    While more pleasant to look, at a receiver machined in 36' isn't relagated to being stronger than a modern forged casting. As metals and machining have progressed in the last 70+ years so have the cartridge lengths and powders. The weak link in any firearm is the brass casing, this little thin brass gasket is our current check valve and pressure limiting tool.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I recently purchased 2 of the new FN Winchesters. My 243 is the Walnut stocked Featherweight. The new 243 has absolutely nothing to apoligize for when being compaired to my buddies pre 64 guns. There is nothing wrong with hanging on to the past in regards to the fine firearms of that era but as far as tolerances go, todays machining processes make those of the years past look crude. If you had a factory pre 64 that was capable of MOA out of the box you had a gem. If you find one of the new FN Winchesters that won't shoot into an inch then you have a lemon!

As far as the new Winchesters vs Rugers.....My two main bolt rifles for the last 35 years were Ruger's. My dog's name is Ruger. Yet when comparing them this go around, the FN Winchesters beat out the Ruger in every catagory. My old Rugers are retired and these new Winchesters will see me through to the end of my hunting days!

The trigger on my 243 breaks clean at a tad bit over 3 lbs and the one on the Extreme Weather 308 is at 3lbs on the button. I've not touched either trigger and can't see any need to.

My only regret is that I didn't get the 308 in a Feather Weight too. I just like the walnut/blued steel better. I'll save the black and shiney taste thing for my motorcylce!