Thread: Steering: Kicker to Main motor?

Default Steering: Kicker to Main motor?

Ok, Got the new boat. 20' Wooldridge with a 150 merc opti. I need a kicker now. If I find a a 20 or 30 or even 40hp kicker without a tiller handle, can I somehow hook the motors together for steering? I know how to deal with the throttle issue, thats easy.....I think.
    or how easy is it to put a tiller handle on a motor?

There is a solid link that you can put between your motors, or the smaller kickers like the one I have, have a locking mechanism for the steering, so I can set the throttle where I want it, leave the main outboard in the water and steer from inside the cabin.

Do a web search for a company called EZ steer. They are in Washington state and can make you what you need. You can also order the parts through Cabelas.
    But why do you want such a big kicker? Unless it can put your boat on step the extra power will not do much. Plus thats a lot of extra weight to hang off your transom. I would contact the builder first to see if the boat could handle it.
    Which model Wooldridge is it?
    Tennessee

it's the wooldridge sport 2000, 20', 2003 modle yr. One of the guides told me to have at least a 20hp to go up river against the current if the 150hp dies.

I have a 93 xtra plus. I used to have a 83 25 HP Johnson with a long shaft as a kicker. I mounted the control box up front and had a steel steering rod between the main engine and kicker. They were connected together using these a lock ring on each end. The problem I had was that I could never take the kicker to full throttle becuase it would cavatate (sp).

I have since put a Honda 4 stroke 15 HP. I can take it to full throttle without any problem. It is great for trolling. I tried it out in the Big Su when it was high. It wouldn't push the boat up stream, but it held me steady in the current.

When you get a kicker make sure that it hangs down far enough so it won't cavatate.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

There have been comments made in other threads pertaining to using a high thrust motor vs a typical kicker. If I remember correctly it was mentioned that a HT10hp motor will push a boat better than a regular 15hp motor. I thought that was interesting and I would look into it more before putting a large kicker on there. On the other hand, if you aren't able to get on step, it sure seems that your effort would be futile to go far upstream do to gas consumption and speed on a 20+hp kicker unless you were only a couple miles from the launch. Something to consider.

Thats exactly what I am looking for. 20hp min, long shaft. 20 hp to push me up stream, and long shaft so i don't cavitate

Be carefull if your considering a bolt on bracket for your kicker, as they are typicly not rated for 20hp. I had 15hp highthrust on a bracket rated for 20 hp and it lasted about 2 years before cracking started in the corners, this was a high dollar all SS model.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Kicker steering

I fabricated a couple aluminum angle brackets to bolt to the tapped castings made for this purpose on the front of the motors. Bent a piece of 3/8" SS all-thread (sleaved with 3/8" SS tubing for strength) to avoid other interferance issues, added Hiem joints to each end. Works perfect for connecting my 225 to my 20 kicker. Works with either motor in any position, so I can raise my 225 and still steer. All for less than $30 and an hour or so of my tinker time.

Default pics got toys?

Got Toys, what is the chance you could send me some pics of this setup, it sounds just like what I am thinking of. you can PM me or send it to my home address