Thread: Skandik wont fire...

Default Skandik wont fire...

I've got a 2003 Skandic wide track. Has spark, mostly full tank of gas. No fire when turning over, with or without choke. Pulled plugs smell of gas but aren't dripping wet. Problem started with low fuel in tank. It fired but wouldn't run very long before dying, then wouldn't start at all. I filled the tank with fuel and a shot of IsoHeat, but it doesn't seem as though fuel is getting to the carbs and engine. Also pulled the muffler to check for built up fuel like my '86 Skandic gets when it is flooded. Nothing there either. Would appreciate any feedback with this challenge.

those have a fuel filters? if so check the lines?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Sounds like you might have gotten water into the fuel lines going to the carbs or the bowls. If it is outside, try putting the old fashioned drop light under the cowling for a couple of hours. Can't hurt to try.

So you have good spark?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I've got a 2003 Skandic wide track. Has spark, mostly full tank of gas. No fire when turning over, with or without choke. Pulled plugs smell of gas but aren't dripping wet. Problem started with low fuel in tank. It fired but wouldn't run very long before dying, then wouldn't start at all. I filled the tank with fuel and a shot of IsoHeat, but it doesn't seem as though fuel is getting to the carbs and engine. Also pulled the muffler to check for built up fuel like my '86 Skandic gets when it is flooded. Nothing there either. Would appreciate any feedback with this challenge.
    Check fuel delivery by removing the fuel line at the carb. No delivery there then check for an inline filter to make sure it's clear. Also need to check the signal line for the pump to the motor. If fuel delivery is ok then need to check carb floats/needles. If bowls are filling correctly then need to clean the carbs.

Will it fire on Ether? Sometimes that is what it takes to get things going.

Spray a little into each cylinder? Will WD40 work?

I've changed the plugs as I found one of the ceramics had a crack. Will check spark again tomorrow, but it seemed to have good spark with the old ones.

Good advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Check fuel delivery by removing the fuel line at the carb. No delivery there then check for an inline filter to make sure it's clear. Also need to check the signal line for the pump to the motor. If fuel delivery is ok then need to check carb floats/needles. If bowls are filling correctly then need to clean the carbs.

Will it fire on Ether? Sometimes that is what it takes to get things going.
    Could you elaborate on what checking the "signal line for the pump to the motor" is?

there is a rubber hose that goes from the fuel pump to the crankcase. This is the pulse line that makes the fuel pump "pump"

Has it been outside and cold through this problem? The first thing I'd do is warm it up and try starting it. If you have a simple ice blockage the added iso probably can't get there. Something as simple as a half hour with a blow dryer to warm the motor can make all the difference. If you have a fuel delivery problem you should be able to dribble gas into the spark plug holes and get some fire going. That may be what you need to get the fuel pump working if the sled's been parked for awhile. Warm or not. I just had to feed gas into the carbs on one sled so it could run long enough to get the pump going.

Have had several of these..the fuel lines that deteriorate over time. If the old plastic type fuel filter gets water in it, freezes, then cracks, it results in an air leak. Replace it with the smaller type. I would change all the fuel lines while you are messing around because it is really hard to get them installed at -26F (from personal experience). The hose that goes to the back of the engine provides suction for the fuel pump. Sometime a little fuel poured directly into the cylendars will get it primed. Watch for leaking fuel! A spark from a disconnected plug will set it off. Also on the SWTs of that time (550fAN) both plugs need to be grounded for spark.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Got it fired up today. Put drop light under cowling, but at 10 degrees, I don't think it warmed up much. Good idea, though. I primed the cylinders with 50:1 and it fired and ran for a moment. On the fourth one, she kept on runnin'. Now it's back to hauling firewood - after the football games this weekend!