Thread: waders or hip boots for Kodiak

Default waders or hip boots for Kodiak

I will be on a hunt for Bear hunt on Kodiak in April, May. One of my biggest questions and most difficult decisions is what type of waders. I am hoping to get some good insight on this topic. (suggestions and, or Hints). I feel that a good pair of hip boots would do the job, but not sure what kind. On the other hand I have entertained the thought of chest or pant waders. It's a toss up. Please help!

Simms guide series waders ( hip or chest) with Hodgemans felt soled boots for the marshy areas....you can even climb in these fit forming neoprene waders....they are very light and durable...however they are'nt cheap, but that shouldn't matter if your doing BB anyway......

I have used regular lacross hip boots but I now use the lightweight hip waders that pull over your hiking boots. Barney's Sports Chalet sells them, I think they are called Sourdough Slippers. I think Neos makes a similar product. Make sure to try with your hiking boots to ensure they are large enough.

I was over there last spring and took my NEOS I got from Barney's. They worked out great for me. We ran into Karl Braendel, the guide in our area, and he was wearing them also. I can't stand wearing waders all day, especially climbing hill our mountains, when I don't need them. The NEOS are fairly light and fairly compactable. Role them up and stuff them in your pack when you start climbing "dry" ground.

Last year at this time I was planning for a spring brown bear hunt as well. The question on weather to bring chest or hip waders was one I kept going back and forth on since there was pros and cons for both. In the end since we could afford the weight so I brought both. The waders I was using were the SIM's but would not recomend them since they were less durable then some of the cheaper versions I have used.
    Some Pro's for Chest waders:
    - It was nice when it was raining/snowing to have the full coverage and warmth of the chest wader.
    - Chest waders allowed for some stream and river crossings that could not have happened with hip waders.
    - More comfortable to climb with do to the support of lace up boots.
    - Easier to dry out at night since you can turn them inside out.

Some Cons for Chest waders:
    -Poor Durability in the thick vegetation of kodiak
    -Noisey when dry

Pros for Hip waders:
    -Price
    -Durability
    -fairly quiet

Cons
    -Your crotch and rear will get wet when it is realy raining and you are going through vegetation
    -Lack of ankle support
    -Heavy
    -Tough to keep dry in the field without boot dryers.

If I was going to the same area again I would probably bring chest waders for the low areas and give the sourdough slippers a try for when we headed back into the drainages for spike camps. I also noticed you are from out of state so I assume you will be with a guide. If this is true I would ask him what he recomends since he will know the terrain in your area. Hope this helps.

Brian

LaCrosse ancle fit hip boots is all you need. Unless you have fat legs and feet. Then get waders.

thanks for the info.

My last trip to Kodiak I wore chest waders. Absolutely fantastic going through the wet brush and grass. Yes, they are hot, but so are rain pants and hip boots. The ones I have are made for waterfowl hunting and are pretty dang tough. They have a built in rubber boot that fits better than any rubber boot I've worn. The best part is that they are "roomy" since I can't even start to get a hip boot over my thighs unless I am only wearing poly pro long johns. They also weigh about the same as my son's LaCrosse hip boots. If you are hunting out of a base camp and coming back every night, it's no big deal to pack your good leather hunting boots in your pack and switch out through the day. When it was raining I just wore the chest waders all day.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

An alternative that I have done at times is a good pair of knee boots, then in the wet areas (or rain) I slip on a pair of HH Empertec bibs over the boots. You can even duct tape the bottoms to the boots and they can work briefly as chest waders...wouldn't want to go far that way though.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather