Thread: Kodiak in july

Default Kodiak in july

I am going to be having some vacation time in the first two weeks of july. The wife and I both wanted to go see more of alaska and both really wanted to go to Kodiak. Was hoping to get some info on what there is to be caught around that time there, and anywhere that is a must see or dine at.

Dollies will be in all the rivers. They are a blast to catch, try smolt patterns. Most aren't very big, a 5 weight should be about perfect. If your looking for sights Fort Abercrombie is a cool place with a lot of old WW2 bunkers and cannons etc. Abercrombie lake also has fish to be caught. They also just started a king stocking progaram so there are some kings in the American river and the Olds river (i believe), along with dollies. Have fun!
    Riley

that place looks awesome thanks for the tip Akgrayling

As mentioned below, Kings enchanced run will be good starting around 4th of July on Amer & Olds. You also have the option of Sockeyes on the Pasaghak. The run on the Buskin for Reds has struggled last few years but did open up late last year once they reached escapement.
    If you feel like a salt trip that is a great time to go, even a good chance at a king.
    If you want to do some sight seeing when you go out to the Pasagshak make the extra drive a little further to Fossil Beach.

Pasagshak is one of my absolute favorite places. Pasagshak River is probably your best (only) bet for sockeye unless you want to arrange a trip out to the Saltery. It's a long rough road, so you're probably better off talking to a guide about lining up ATVs. Buskin is a gamble, and often over before it started - wouldn't count on it in July. I'd definitely recommend a day out on the salt. Incredible scenery and a fun place to explore. Dollies can be found in most of the rivers as stated above - you may be able to find 'em in the salt as well. A big school of dollies on the feed in the salt is a lot of fun. Mission Beach in town can be a good bet. And don't overlook the various lakes for rainbows - all I'm going to say about that.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

thank you everybody for the ideas it looks as though i am starting to get a nice little tentative plan for what to do there this summer!

Here is what you have
    Dollies- best bet is the Buskin river and fishing buskin lake.
    Kings- American, Olds, and Monashka and Pillar Creeks. First two weeks of July should be good. It was closed last year due to vandals destroying the captive brood stock holing pens so if the vandals are kept out the rivers should be open.
    Reds (sockeye)- Saltery, Pasagshak, and Saltery. Yes the buskin does have fishable numbers of sockeye in july. The Buskins run collapsed three years and is building back up. I look for this year to be better than the last three.

Now about Saltery, If you have access to a four wheeler or can bring one with you it is well worth it. It is a sixteen mile trip but will put over some of the best sockeye fishing in the state! The trip takes about an hour but it is not that bad. You can make it out in a 4x4 truck but it will cause some wear and tear. Along with the reds the dolly fishing can be great, a few nice rainbows and if your lucky a late running steelhead.
    It also seems like the pinks hit Saltery a little earlier than many of the other road system streams and they are huge compared to many places I have fished.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by monk2015 View Post
    I am going to be having some vacation time in the first two weeks of july. The wife and I both wanted to go see more of alaska and both really wanted to go to Kodiak. Was hoping to get some info on what there is to be caught around that time there, and anywhere that is a must see or dine at.
    Just as nobody has answered this part of your question, I'll throw this in,

Make Sure and try some dining at a place called the Powerhouse, a restaurant overlooking the Near Island Channel
    (on the stretch of cannery row underneath the bridge)
    Absolutely Fantastic Fish and anything Asian there.

Henry's, (downtown, near the main harbor) is also a pretty good place to eat

Also if out at Pasagshak, drive out to the Rocket Launch site and keep eyes peeled for the Bison herd out there, pretty cool to check out. heck, the drive out to Shak is worth it just to see some Cool Kodiak Island scenery, don't miss it
    Also get your rig up to Pillar mtn, where the Wind Generators are, it's an awesome view up there, right behind town (bring camera)

Sorry, not a sport fisherman, but this advice above covers that well I imagine
    I can say the Saltwater fishing right out in front (well a little ways out but not far) is pretty productive.

Have Fun, hope you make it down, and Welcome, the Island Will Be EMERALD that time of year, you'll like it......
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !