Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Have You Hunted????

Default Where Have You Hunted????

The "Dream Hunt" thread spurred the idea of hearing from folks that have had the opportunity to hunt outside Alaska and what game they pursued and or harvested. Should bring back some memories for alot of us. Pics would be great to see also.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Being new to the Great State, I've ONLY hunted outside. Great memories of arrowing a nice bull in eastern WA and calling in a beautiful rutting whitetail for my wife's first taste of hunting success! Throw in there some great deer hunts with the pops and brothers, turkey & pheasants with college buddies and a successful 'once in a lifetime draw' moose hunt with my grandpa in north ID and I'd be the first to say I've been blessed to chase a lot of game thus far in my young life.

Pheasant in Michigan,Delta Junction and Viet Nam and Texas.Deer in Texas and California 60's.Trapped Canada,Michigan,Texas and Viet Nam.Ducks in Texas and North Carolina.Gators in Texas as well as hogs.Doves in Mexico.Brown snakes in Okinawa, sea snakes in Tonken Gulf and all snakes in Florida.The best of all though was bear in Haines Alaska.90% of everything I've taken was not really hunting just walking in the outdoors and something popped up to eat
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Terrorist in Iraq... and black bear, moose and caribou in Alaska..that's all I got..
    (I don't have a moose yet)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default outside ak hunts

I have lived outside and hunted what ever species were available and I could get a tag for where ever I lived; Montana, Vermont, New York, Maine, Idaho, Wyoming and a side trip to North Dakota for pheasants.

Since moving to Alaska, I have gone outside twice. Once to Ohio for whitetails with no luck and once to Hawaii for axis deer.Maui Axis 2010 (20).jpgMaui Axis 2010 (15).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Pheasant in Michigan,Delta Junction and Viet Nam and Texas.Deer in Texas and California 60's.Trapped Canada,Michigan,Texas and Viet Nam.Ducks in Texas and North Carolina.Gators in Texas as well as hogs.Doves in Mexico.Brown snakes in Okinawa, sea snakes in Tonken Gulf and all snakes in Florida.The best of all though was bear in Haines Alaska.90% of everything I've taken was not really hunting just walking in the outdoors and something popped up to eat
    walking through the outdoors and seasnakes just popped up so you had to eat them???? hmmmmm
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

I've been on a few out of state hunts, Washington and Texas. For the last two years I've been bowhunting whitetails and muleys in central Washington state. Killed my first whitetail in 09, it was a doe but i was darn proud of her! Went back this year but held out for a buck that didn't show, ate tag soup. I've also been to Texas and went hog hunting in 09, thats ALOT of fun, got my first bow kill than. Now I got a whitetail hunt planned for Kentucky late archery season next december, got some family near there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mule deer and elk in Wyoming and Colorado, and wild boar in California.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Alaska and Africa twice! Can't wait to go back to Africa!

Started out with a list of places to hunt and a list of animals. The places list is finished, all 6 continents, a few more countries than that, a few canadian provinces, several states. There are 2 animals remaining on the list. The pics describe it best.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tundragriz

Home town Pa. whitetails ,Ohio,W.V.,Maryland,Wis.,Illnios,Wy.,montana,Idaho ,Canada[pre guide law] and Alaska.I owe it all to a very supportive WIFE.All hunts were DYS.

I never have had any interest in hunting anything but north american game, so thats all ive taken, in Montana ive harvested 12 elk-6 antelope-20 whitetails(4does)-9 muledeer-4 bison-5 lions-3 black bear-2turkeys and multiple predators badger,coyote. Idaho ive taken 2 muledeer-8 black bears- 2 elk. Wyoming 4 antelope-1 muledeer-1 elk. S dakota 2 whitetails. utah 2 muledeer.colorado 1 muledeer (man i love to hunt mulies!)And now Alaska with 2 moose, 4 bou, 1 sheep and a few beavers to top it off, ive been from the northslope,brooks,Anwr, to as far south as katmia and dilingham a lot of country to see here!

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    Terrorist in Iraq... and black bear, moose and caribou in Alaska..that's all I got..
    (I don't have a moose yet)
    After hunting the first I am so very happy you have had the chance to hun the others.God Bless
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Haworth Pics 089.jpg000_0006.jpgTrapped IL for Muskrat, Mink, Beaver, Red & Grey Fox, Coyote, Raccoon, Possum, Skunk ( not by choice Peuweee )
    Hunted IL - Bow & Gun Deer ( over 120 now ) Turkey, Fox, Coyote, Pheasant, Quail, Doves Ducks, Geese, squirrel, rabbit, women!
    New Mexico - 3 Bull elk - bow kills 1 Mule Deer Bow
    Montana - 3 Bull elk rifle, 1 Mule deer Rifle
    S Dakota - 2 Mule deer Rifle - Pheasant, Quail, Chuckar, Grouse, Ducks, Geese 1 Whitetail Rifle
    N Dakota - 1 Mule Deer - pheasants,
    Quebec Ca Bou - twice bow and rifle shot bulls and cows
    Ontario Ca 7 black bear - bow & rifle 1 Whitetail Buck Rifle, ducks, lotsa grouse - 33 yrs of fishing also 1 Bull moose
    Manitoba Ca 3 Black bear - 2 bow 1 Rifle - fished alot also
    Fished Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf
    Kept pretty accurate records of everything I have ever hunted from day 1 -
    Fished Mo, Ark, Ws, MN, Fl, SC, Wy, Co, Ca, Hmmm probably more?
    Hunted my 2 kids across the entire US at times!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice buck in the middle smokey!! havent taken a non typical whitetail that big yet, not bad for a old guy! lol working hard to catch up to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    Nice buck in the middle smokey!! havent taken a non typical whitetail that big yet, not bad for a old guy! lol working hard to catch up to ya!
    Listen here you young whipper snapper - LOL
    One in middle went 193 P&Y points if'n your into numbers... 2 on right are bow kills - one on left Muzzle loader wife made me stop mounting deer at 10 - nothing under 150 mtd - put in a lot of hours bowhunting for sure.... 000_0007.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Hasn't happened yet, but I'd love to do so at some point. I travel to Southern California once a year to see the in-laws, but I can't figure out anything to hunt within a couple hundred miles of the region. My parents now have a place near Ft. Meyers, Florida, so if anyone has any suggestions on pig or deer hunting (or anything else, for that matter) near either of these areas, I'm all ears.

Brian,
    I don't know of any hunting opportunities but I am sure you can Google some up nearby - there are some shooting ranges and a big Bass Pro Shop there that likely has a bulletin board outfitters post cards on!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Brian,
    I don't know of any hunting opportunities but I am sure you can Google some up nearby - there are some shooting ranges and a big Bass Pro Shop there that likely has a bulletin board outfitters post cards on!
    Randy
    Man, you'd be surprised. I know there are some opportunities to be found in Florida (though I understand that the majority of the land is private and that most hunters belong to hunting clubs to get access), but Southern California is tough. I figured I could find some pig hunting somewhere nearby, but in looking the closest thing I could find was over 300 miles north of San Diego with the exception of one high-fence operation. I'm going to look into coyote hunting next time I head that way in the winter, which I think might be a more feasible option. One of these days I figure I'll set aside a few days to head east towards Nevada or another state, but as for Southern CA itself, it's been tough for me to find much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hasn't happened yet, but I'd love to do so at some point. I travel to Southern California once a year to see the in-laws, but I can't figure out anything to hunt within a couple hundred miles of the region. My parents now have a place near Ft. Meyers, Florida, so if anyone has any suggestions on pig or deer hunting (or anything else, for that matter) near either of these areas, I'm all ears.

When I left CA, there were still some deer down south I think in the San Bernadino mountain areas, although I don't if they were huntable or not. I think that the mountain lion population was pretty darn big there as well. To get to the wild boar, you need to get a little further north towards the central coast. Some up around Bakersfield area as well in the hills. Possibly up in the grapevine area off of highway 99? The mountain lions have been killing off the deer populations there pretty good though. I always thought it would be fun to watch one of those lions square off with a wild boar. That would be a fight for pay-per-view for sure I imagine.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast