Thread: Gotta find a A&P type toolbox for youngest boy

Default Gotta find a A&P type toolbox for youngest boy

Our youngest son is using his VA benefits to do the A&P course at UAA. They have to buy their tools via Snap-on so that is pretty pricey. Somehow or another my wife told him we would help with finding him a big quality tool cart/box.
    Any ideas?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I bought mine form ATS, bought the rivet master kit and added from there, mag timer, brakes, ect....

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/de...ID=135-2602AKT

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hmm,
    I found a few nice used roller type tool boxes on Alaska List in all sorts of sizes...but his instructors said they would not do...
    Then we found out that the SNAP-ON guy has used tool boxes,,, but he told us that his "deal" with the college will not let him sell used tool boxes to students. I wonder who scrubs who's back on that deal?

Something smells fishy! Do you have a list of the required tools?
    Tim

Ouch. I know A & P's who are second to none who've used Craftsman tools their entire career. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Snap-On tools, but it seems like the difference in price between new Snap-On's and lower priced quality tools could be significant. I would not want to start out in an A & P career with more money out than necessary.

One choice would be to go ahead and buy the new tools, then sell them back to someone else for a little break and go ahead and shop around for less expensive tools and tool box.

I don't understand spending so much for a Snap-On box. It seems like something that would hold, organize and, if necessary, lock your tools wouldn't have to be all that fancy....Louis
    Louis Knapp

I'm not an A&P but I did a lot of work on my plane (under supervision) including removing and installing the engine during overhaul. All my tools are Craftsman and for my purposes they work well. However the outside dimensions of Snap On tools are smaller and will fit in tighter spots. One example is removing the exhaust manifold on my engine. The Snap On socket would fit, my Craftsman would not. The only thing I don't like about the Snap On is the smooth finish. They are a little more slippery when your hands are greasy or oily. Craftsman has a textured finish and it makes a difference

Hey Float Pilot, why can't you buy the used tools/tool box from the Snap On vendor and give them to your son? Does UAA have a problem with gifts from parents?

Maybe a different school?
    I had a couple of guys from Alaska in my class at Everett Community College.
    If he is only interested in the A&P program I recommend them.
    The Aviation Department is at Payne Field, the main campus is about 12 miles away.
    Check this site;
    http://www.everettcc.edu/programs/bwe/aviation/
    Good luck.

Default Tool box

There is no reason for your son to be forced to buy Snap-on anything...That is total BS

Most all guy who use there tools for a living end up starting with a cheap set of tools and then upgrade over time to snap-on. Snap on tool are the best there no way around it. If you want to call a dealer call Rob Cannon 360-2914. He has a wear house full of used toolboxs. Snap on always has alot of used tool boxs for sale because they give you top dollar when you trade one in for a new one. never buy on off craigslst or anything like with out calling a dealer to make sure the box dosen't have money owed on it good way to loose you box I've seen it happen and hear about it all the time. Rob is my best friend. second why ones buys snap on you can get tools on a truck account for a little bit a money every week when the truck comes by your shop.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

check with a dealer before you buy and of them boxes they could have balance due on them if so he don't own them snap on. Then you buy it and give it to your son problem sloved. But call rob frist 360-2914
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I bet the reason the school does not want the Snap On vendor to sell used tools to students starting out in the program is they don't want the new students to hear how many former students dropped out of the program and sold their tools back to Snap On. It might give the prospective students pause for thought about committing to the program and all those $$$ it will take. The school has to get butts in seats to stay solvent.

That is a very good course that UAA dose for the A+P. I have a friend that when thru it in the 1995-1998 time frame, he is a pilot like me and wanted to be able to work on his own aircraft, he is an IA now. Dose a lot of work in florida during the winter. The one thing about tools is that they will last a life time, you either loose them or they grow feet and walk away. Its not cheap by no means. But then when was it ever cheap, when it comes to airplanes or anything to do with aviation in general. I wish I did an A+P, it would come in handy these days.

I bet the reason the school does not want the Snap On vendor to sell used tools to students starting out in the program is they don't want the new students to hear how many former students dropped out of the program and sold their tools back to Snap On.
    Could be.... My wife called the Snap-On guy and paid for his tools and box... I told him that they are mine "on loan" until he pays us back.
    Ever since Iraq, his follow-through leaves something to be desired.