Thread: .404 BJ express

Default .404 BJ express

I saw a post on here from 2007 in reference to the .404 BJ Express .411 Cal. bullet in front of the .375 H &H mag. case. I am trying to contact the man who has the rifle. I have the exact same rifle and am in New Mexico. I understand mine was built by Elmer Kieth. The RCBS dies I have for my rifle are original dies which were special ordered and are stamped .40 Cal. IMP. 1967. A very rare rifle I am told and it is possible Elmer Kieth built the only two in existents.

Ok ...while reading further I have found that the Gentleman may have the .425 not the .404...hummm..this raises an eye brow or two...that would mean so far I have the only .404 BJ express Rifle known to man...which was originally built by Elmer Kieth. If anyone has any idea of any others in existence built by Elmer Kieth please let me known. I contacted RCBS and found that I have the only ORIGINAL set of dies ever manufactured. I also have in my possession th last Original Elmer Kieth hand load.

Default .404 BJ Express

My set of RCBS dies is marked "404 B.J. Exp."while the RCBS box is marked "404 B.J. Express" and "Custom" "per cast". Unfortunatly the dies do not match my gun - I don't know how the dies got mis-matched with the gun I bought unless the orginal owner had two similar rifles.

My rifle is marked ".404 EXP" and is a .40 caliber - not an a .416. no clue as to who made it but it is a quality rifle with some sort of light walnut? fiddleback stock and a Canjar trigger. The BJ express apprears to be a longer case - perhaops based on the .375 while mine is a shorter cartridge based on the 7mm Rem Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdstarr View Post
    Ok ...while reading further I have found that the Gentleman may have the .425 not the .404...hummm..this raises an eye brow or two...that would mean so far I have the only .404 BJ express Rifle known to man...which was originally built by Elmer Kieth. If anyone has any idea of any others in existence built by Elmer Kieth please let me known. I contacted RCBS and found that I have the only ORIGINAL set of dies ever manufactured. I also have in my possession th last Original Elmer Kieth hand load.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I never knew Keith built any rifles at all. Sure it wasn't built FOR him? Either way should make a nice big bore. Brass and bullets are easy to find.
    Tennessee