Thread: Problem with an Eskimo Stingray

Default Problem with an Eskimo Stingray

I've got an Eskimo Stingray that is giving me fits and I was hoping for a little advice on that to do next. I bought it second hand several years and it has been a decent little auger for the most part. Towards the end of last season it started to get more tempermental and although it would usually start up easily enough once wamed up did not like to re-start and seemed to flood a lot. This season when I took it out of shed I was determined to get it running better so I changed the spark plug, pulled off the carburator and cleaned it thoroughly, checked the compression, put everything back together and with a tank of fresh gas started it up. I can get it started just fine but it bogs down badly when I try to give it some throttle. I've tried adjusting the mix screw but it will only run within a very narrow range and is very sensitive to the smallest of moves. The other odd thing is that the fuel overflow tube coming out of the carb that routes to the air intake is putting out a constant dribble of gas that I've never seen before. Im not sure what to do next and was hoping someone out there might have an idea what this novice small engine mechanic might try.

Sounds like a sticky float or needle.

Before you do anything else, try running some Sea Foam through it. It can really work wonders.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've had the same problem, and it's clearly a carb issue. I had the carb rebuilt, works like new. I would definitely run some seafoam through it and see if that helps.

You might open the jet a bit. I had a Stingray that did the exact same thing. Eventually canned it and got a new one and it runs great.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My Eskimo has the same issues but I finally figured it out. I always had to run mine on half choke and it didn't have any power, I must have rebuilt the carb 5 times, still the the same results. I noticed the sponge air filter was soaked w/ oil so I removed it an viola, it runs like a champ. My question now is will it run good when theres snowy mist getting sucked in when I'm drilling? On a side note the pilot blade in the center was snapped off and the auger would walk all over the place till I got a hole started. I looked online at the Eskimo site and ordered the tip and plastic insert, it arrived 3 days after ordering it. Guess I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

MatSu Tool Repair can work on it if you wish, they can even pick it up in Anchorage if you arrange. http://matsutoolrepair.com/ for thier information. If you are concerned about ice dusting getting in after you pulled the oil out of the sponge filter us a light synthetic oil and don't let it get too heavy a soak on it. With the fuel leaking I don't believe it is an air intake issue only.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    MatSu Tool Repair can work on it if you wish, they can even pick it up in Anchorage if you arrange. http://matsutoolrepair.com/ for thier information. If you are concerned about ice dusting getting in after you pulled the oil out of the sponge filter us a light synthetic oil and don't let it get too heavy a soak on it. With the fuel leaking I don't believe it is an air intake issue only.

George
    I think you're right George, cause it does seem to leak fuel. Hey do you want to go to that lake tomorrow morning w/ me?

I'm taking a poll

You bringng the ice hole saw?

Indeed I am. I have to get a new gas cap from Sportsmans, I think that's my issue because I lost the rubber barrier that goes inside my cap and gas sloshes out of the breather vent on top of the cap and it goes in my intake and clogs the filter. Oh ya instead of meeting at Donut king maybe you should just grab some donuts and meet me at my house seeings how it on the way to the lake. See ya around 8:30ish?

I'm taking a poll

The float in the carburetor is probably your problem. I have no idea what kind of carb that engine has, some you adjust the screw to adjust the float and others you have to take apart and bend the prongs slightly to adjust the float. If it has high and low adjust screw adjust the high screw.

I eventually got that stingray to run pretty good after COMPLETELY tearing apart the carb and srubbing the hell out of it with solvent. It took a little time to assembly & reassemble but it did work in the end.