Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pikes and honeymoon

Default pikes and honeymoon

Hello!
    I'm starting now to organize my honeymoon in Alaska in August, a free tour driving and camping in wildness... I come from Italy and don't know anything about this country...
    I would like to know some area, and some lakes if it is possible, where I have best chance to rent a boat and catch good pikes. I prefer small lakes (because in the big lakes you must know the good area for pikes, and this is impossible for me). I don't want to take a guide or agency (maybe just for one day). My wife doesn't like fishing, so I will have only few hours to try and not whole days.
    I also like trout fishing in river.
    I follow CATCH&RELEASE religion...
    Thanks to all

Ok no problem, I found some information...
    I saw the prices of fishing guides: 1850$ for 3 days!
    All guides have prices like this?
    Do Someone know if it is possible to rent a boat and go fishing alone in places as Minto flats, Yukon flat and similar?

You might look up Willow Air or Trail Ridge air and do a day trip to Alexander Lake. You will catch more pike than you will know what to do with.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    You might look up Willow Air or Trail Ridge air and do a day trip to Alexander Lake. You will catch more pike than you will know what to do with.
    Rust flying service out of Talkeetna offers trips up to the lake. They also provide a boat with a small outboard motor. Daytrip was pretty reasonable the year before it was less than $500.00 roundtrip. The lake has some really nice fish and if you hit at the right time. I catch alot of hammer handles in August most of the big one are deeper that time of year. Spring is best.

Check out this place here for a nice little honeymoon. http://www.theperrinsrainypasslodge.com/
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Thank you all.
    I read on web that Alexander lake is very famous for pike fishing, but it has little fish and lot of anglers... Is it true?
    I would like to try something more wild, if it is possible, and maybe to catch the pig (in Italy we call big pike "the pig").
    For this reason I was thinking about Minto flats and similar places, but I don't know if I can go there alone, and rent a boat (or kayak)... and stay alive...

theperrinsrainypasslodge is very nice! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by doolin View Post
    Thank you all.
    I read on web that Alexander lake is very famous for pike fishing, but it has little fish and lot of anglers... Is it true?
    I would like to try something more wild, if it is possible, and maybe to catch the pig (in Italy we call big pike "the pig").
    For this reason I was thinking about Minto flats and similar places, but I don't know if I can go there alone, and rent a boat (or kayak)... and stay alive...

You will catch fish at Alexander. Period. And you will have a chance to tie into "the pig".
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thank you all.

You will be fine, don't buy into all the hype you see on TV or read in the magazines. All you need do is use common sense, pay attention to your surroundings. Always remember when your in Alaska that help is not always right around the corner. When I am out fishing in a remote area I am more concerned with my foot placement than I am a bear. You twist an ankle you have problems. I NEVER go anywhere without a survival kit. DIY pike fishing can be one of the most rewarding trips you can do in Alaska on a shoe string budget. I have never been to Minto Flats but I have Been to Alexander and there are some hogs in that lake. You might also want to look at the Deshka river there are some really NICE fish in the sloughs up river and there are plenty of river boats in the valley to get you there.

Default Pikes

email me for a much less expensive trip.

akgiauque@yahoo.com

there's a guy named rick gold who can fly you from fairbanks to minto flats and set you up with a small boat and a dry cabin, all at reasonable prices. it's a very tranquil spot with lots of pike.

you never said what you considder "" THE PIG '' [SIZE] WILL YOU WIFE BE GOING WITH YOU ON THE FISHING TRIP ?? OR STAY IN TOWN OR CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    you never said what you considder "" THE PIG '' [SIZE] WILL YOU WIFE BE GOING WITH YOU ON THE FISHING TRIP ?? OR STAY IN TOWN OR CABIN
    Good question!!!!
    In Italy "the pig" is from 40 inch, but it is rare as a flying donkey!
    Pike in Italy is really rare, in 1 year you can catch about 10-20 of them (if you are very expert), and also small! So you can understand why I'm so enthusiastic about Alaska pike fishing!
    Actually, I'm not interersted in catching huge fishes, I know it is difficult if you don't know perfectly the area, I prefer to catch a lot of them. But I don't like to cath 10" pike.... I would like to catch fishes over 30", for me it could be nice, and then if I will hit the pike of my life........... no words!
    About my bride: this is the problem of every angler..... the wife! Sometimes she will come with me (in boat) and, when it will be possible, she will stay in the cabin....
    But I will not go fishing a lot of time, it is our honeymoon, not honeydivorce!

Default I know you've specified Pike here, but maybe that's just what you're used to?

Consider salmon, which is Alaska's fish. Pike up here are in invasive species and not looked upon favorably.

Your trip might very well be during the second King Salmon (Chinook) fish run in the major waters, like Kenai river, and Kasilof river. Just something to think about.

Put salmon on your plate next to your pike, and I bet you'll be eating the salmon! And a prettier fish you couldn't ask for. And as for Kings, they're ginormously huge.

Thank you all for really usefull advice!
    I will consider also the guides you told me, if they are not too expencive for me.
    Thanks to zeda34: this is what i'm looking for. A place good for pikes and where I can rent a boat, like Deshka river.
    If someone knows other places like this, it could be very usefull for me!
    I find on web a lot of places good for pike, but all are very remote and I don't know how to get there and how to rent the boat.... (like george lake, east and west twins lake and a lot of others).
    Any advice?

About Alexander, I think I will try it, but every sunday in Italy I fish in places full of anglers, and for one time in my life I would like to try to fish alone, in a really wild and remote place! If I cannot do it in Alaska where I will do it?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Consider salmon, which is Alaska's fish. Pike up here are in invasive species and not looked upon favorably.

Your trip might very well be during the second King Salmon (Chinook) fish run in the major waters, like Kenai river, and Kasilof river. Just something to think about.

Put salmon on your plate next to your pike, and I bet you'll be eating the salmon! And a prettier fish you couldn't ask for. And as for Kings, they're ginormously huge.
    Familyman you are very nice to answer to me also here! What you told is right: pike is what I'm used to, but it is not only this: pike is my dream, it is the fish which I think when I'm at work or when I'm loking TV in the night...
    I know that in Ak you don't like this fish: in the past Italy was a wonderfull place for pike fishing, with lakes full of monsterpike. But Italians considered it a bad fish, and start to kill it. Now we have few pikes, and if you want to fish, you must go to other country in North Europe. Now we have find out that it is a great fish, but it is too late.
    I never kill a pike. I know that Alaskans are not agree with this, but I don't kill it.
    This theme is too uneasy for my english, I can't tell all I think!

But I'm sure that yours is a good advice, and that salmon is a wonderfull fish. I think I will try it!

Default very wise

I do understand with your background, wanting to find an elusive and very large pike. I do wish you the best with that. Can't offer any specifics, as that is not my interest. But I respect that it is yours.

I highly respect your willingness to take on a new species (salmon) while you're here. As they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. There is some amount of truth and logic to that. And I see you know that.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. You'll do great..... I know already.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I do understand with your background, wanting to find an elusive and very large pike. I do wish you the best with that. Can't offer any specifics, as that is not my interest. But I respect that it is yours.

I highly respect your willingness to take on a new species (salmon) while you're here. As they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. There is some amount of truth and logic to that. And I see you know that.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. You'll do great..... I know already.
    Ok Familyman, I stop to tell you "thank you" because I don't want to be boring.... I know only few words in english and so I use everytime the same.
    "When in Rome, do as the Romans do": this is nice to do, and is also interesting, because you can try new experience and way of life.
    I don't know anything about salmon fishing, and for this reason I think it could be difficult for me. I will try it, but I hope I will not fall in love with it: there are no salmon in Italy!!!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help: you've already helped me a lot.
    I will ask you for sure.

I will ask you for sure.
    Thanks doolin, lots of people have help'd me (some, kept me alive); I still need to help more people to begin to even the scales. Pass it around, do good, and have fun are the words I live by.

Consider a half day guide on the Kenai River, then do it yourself from there if you still have interest (you will). AlaskaCanoe is a member on here that rents tons of stuff down there probably at quite reasonable costs and terms; contact him for advice and rentals, eh?

Pike are an invasive species in areas of SouthCentral Alaska, not Statewide.

If you are looking for a real monster pike, Minto Flats would be a good area to focus on (The pike there are native to the area). There are other, even more remote locations in Western and Northwestern Alaska, all dependent on your budget.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

For me Interior Alaska's best fishing is Pike and they are not an invasive species north of the Alaska range. Like you I really enjoy fishing for them. Mixing pike fishing and a honeymoon with someone that doesn't like to fish would be a good test of the marriage right of the bat - You are a brave man. If you do catch it when it isn't raining you have the mosquitoes and horse flies to contend and both can drive you crazy.

You may want to check into the Delta Junction area - Both Volkmar Lake and George Lake have good pike fishing and are just short flights to get into them - seems like they had cabin rentals and boats at one time but I am not sure now. Minto Flats is a huge area with limited access if you don't have a boat and knowledge of the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast