Thread: Cabin foundation 24x36'

Default Cabin foundation 24x36'

i am trying to decide what to do for my foundation for my cabin i am building. the cabin is going to be 24x36 with around a 2/3 loft. i built a small 12x16 two story cabin when i first bought the land and i used treated 6x6's 4-5' deep.the cabin is shaky in the summer. the ground is mostly silty sand with little clay. there is no gravel within piling length. i have a good deal on telephone poles (free) or should i go with sauna tubes. i am putting in a root cellar probably the 24' width of the cabin by 8'. i was planning on using treated 2x8 12" on center and using treated plywood and bituthane to enclose the root cellar, not quite sure on that yet. i have an excavator thats why i am making the cellar so big and i plan on putting my battery bank and plumbing down there. i am looking for suggestions on the pilings and framing the cellar.

If you have a excavator on site the phone poles would be the way to go as you should be able to get the poles deep enough that the building would be solid. If your root cellar is runing the 24 ft part of the cabin you should plan to keep it back under the cabin as much as possible and it would make it easer to keep dry as moisture is a problem in the cellar. You will need to have some type of bracing along the bottem to keep the walls from moving in from the weight of the soils. But you do not want to put a floor in as you want a gravel floor.

I am going to put the cellar under the cabin for sure using the cellar as a part of the foundation. I am thinking about setting 4x12's for like a footing then building the cellar walls on them.

Batteries need venting. Sometime lots of venting. Be aware of that. When doing post foundations I always x-brace between the posts. That takes a ton of the wiggle out of a building.

2x8's 12" o.c. with 3/4" treated plywood should be good for your cellar walls. The 4x12's for footers will work well also.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem