Thread: Remington BDL to ADL help

Default Remington BDL to ADL help

I have a neighbor with a McMillan stock that is new. He wants to sell it and I can pick it up for an attractive price for a McMillan. The problem is my rifle is a Remington 700 BDL and his stock is for a Remington 700 ADL. Both are long actions.

I know the hinged floor plate is useless but what about the magazine box? Can I reuse it in the ADL or is there a different box for that model? It also seems that I have heard someone say that trigger guards are different.

Any help or suggestions to prevent trial and error plus numerous bad words would be appreciated.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

The ADL box is shorter and is held to the bottom of the receiver with a small screw. The trigger guard is different as it does not have a floorplate assembly. The magazine spring is different as the bottom leaf is made to sit on the bottom of the blind box magazine and not attach to the floorplate. You will also need the small front trigger guard screw to hold the front of the ADL trigger guard.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

It sure is nice to have it spelled out by a professional. Just about anything can be found or solved in this place.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The ADL box is shorter and is held to the bottom of the receiver with a small screw. The trigger guard is different as it does not have a floorplate assembly. The magazine spring is different as the bottom leaf is made to sit on the bottom of the blind box magazine and not attach to the floorplate. You will also need the small front trigger guard screw to hold the front of the ADL trigger guard.
    gunbugs very accurately described the extra parts that are required.

The only thing I would add is that the front and rear action screws often (not always) need fitting when putting a 700 into a new stock. This is nothing more than carefully filing/grinding away (I then cold blue the exposed steel) excess length so that the front screw does not protrude into the bottom recoil mortise and that the rear screw clears the striker. I just received another McMillan for a 700 action and I'll need to tweak the screws a tad during the bedding process. Otherwise it is a very straightforward proposition.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    One small correction: the ADL box (on the right) is a little taller than the BDL box.

I have used BDL boxes with ADL style stocks. If you slightly bend out the 4 corners of the mag box, you can get a snug fit into the recess on the bottom of the action. I'll sometimes do this to ADL magazines, as well, because that little tab & screw are sometimes tweaked to the point of not allowing the mag box to seat properly into the action. If the mag box sits cock-eyed in the receiver, it can cause feeding issues.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    It sure is nice to have it spelled out by a professional. Just about anything can be found or solved in this place.
    Marshall you are right. At least one person on here knows how to answer any question. Thanks for the info. Now I know how to handle this trade.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

hap

McMillans are laid up as BDLs and a filler piece is added to go ADL (not true on McSwirleys). It is easy to cut out that filler piece and make an ADL a BDL... Even with the McSwirleys...

I am big on the ADL, so I would consider it an advantage to go away from the BDL... But you do not have to.

1Cor's point about action screw length is very important...

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I am big on the ADL, so I would consider it an advantage to go away from the BDL... But you do not have to.
    Art, would you mind to elaborate a little on that?

I'm not Art, but I have the same preference for an ADL-style stock. The blind magazine provides one less place for dirt, junk, and water to enter where it shouldn't be. I also like the feel of the smooth stock in my hand, as opposed to cold metal, when carrying the rifle. I'll add that I've never had a hunt screwed up because I couldn't unload the rifle fast enough, so I don't really see the need for the floor plate on a hunting rifle anyway. I can unload my rifle just fine without the floorplate, and I don't need to chamber each round to do it.

Anyway, that's why I prefer the ADL-style stocks.

hap

The only thing I would add to Dan's comments is the fact I believe the ADL stock is significantly stiffer through the magazine area...

Oops, there I was, all upside down. Not the first time.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."